Fbbc's First Certified Bender!

John Beatty

Pat is right on track!

I once took after the maintenance guy's file where I used to work. He didn't think I could put a dent in it. He was right, the thing didnt dent it all-it snapped into a thousand little razor sharp pieces, a number of which my wife picked out of my hands later that night.

If I would have had that thing near my face, there would have been surgeons picking pieces out of my jugular... :ohmy

Becareful with stuff that breaks.

Rick Walker :rock

Well, that takes care of me looking into grade 12 bolts. I don't want to supply anyone with suicide toys. :blink

Here is an example of my lack of strength saving my life. Wow, thats neat. lol.

Sarcasm being laid on kinda thick.

In all sincerity, thanks to Pat and Rick for passing on the valuable info to all of us.

Eric,

If that bolt has 12.9 stamped on it then it should be a metric bolt.

Metric bolts are all marked with the property class which ranges from

4.6 - softer than a G2

8.8 - very close to a G5

10.9 - a tiny bit harder than a G8

12.9 - crazy hard

This website lists the yield strengths of the various bolts

http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_2.htm

you just have to keep in mind when you compare metric bolts to imperial that the difference in cross sectional area will affect the strength too.

Congrats Eric! :bow

Great info Pat - Saving just one knucklehead is a worthwhile cause.

John - Great stuff in the bender's bags -soon as I can free up some $$ I will be placing an order.

Awesome bending...

Brett

Got the announcement up on the main page of the FBBC site. also on the kings of steel cert board. Hopefully a pic or two over the weekend

FAT BASTARD BARBELL CO

Instead of going after the grade 12, what about square 5/16th? Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I thought FBBC had some and I didn't find it mentioned here.

That's really neat seeing my name up in lights. Thanks John!

By the way, at the top of the Kings of Steel page it states I bent a "3/8" piece. I know you have confidence in me John, but give this knucklehead a little while before he tackles that dimension. :laugh

Instead of going after the grade 12, what about square 5/16th? Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I thought FBBC had some and I didn't find it mentioned here.

David Ostlund sent me some of the 1/4" square of Mr. Beatty's. It was very tough. I shudder to think how tough the 5/16" square might be.