Fbbc's First Certified Bender!

John Beatty

BIG CONGRATS TO ERIC MILFELD!!! The very first to be certified on the FBBC bender's stock. Eric took out the 5/16" x 7" round! Pics will follow as soon as I can get them up on the website. Eric also picks up a $25 gift cert for his accomplishment as the 1st! CONGRATS!!

John

FAT BASTARD BARBELL CO

Nice job Eric! I'm also interested in how the FBBC stock compares to the IM.

Thanks for the words of support, and entertainment! :D

The Beatty stock is a real, well, bastard, to be blunt about it.

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Fat Bastard's 5/16"X7" round is much tougher than a 6 1/4" Red nail. It's perhaps the equivalent of a 5 3/4" or 6" Red nail. The bend, witnessed by Chris Caffery, took EVERYTHING I had, especially the portion of the bend beyond the 90 degree mark.

Thank you John Beatty for giving us benders another source of varied bending steel, complete with a certification process! John's great to deal with, and prices his products VERY reasonably.

Good job bending that bastard! :yikes

I agree that Mr. Beatty's stuff is very reasonable. Support a company that supports the gripboard and grip contests!

Awesome job Eric!! :rock:bow:bow:mosher

Whats next for those hands??!!!??

Outstanding!

Eric

Once again congrats on the FAT BASTARD bar bend :bow Harder than a 6 1/4"Red phew,you are obviously getting very good on the cut reds as well.

Do you think that grade 12 bolt will be harder than the 5/16"x7"FAT BASTARD bar you just killed,hope its not too much harder,but then again just another challenge for Eric the RED :D

Congrats!

Love to try some of that FATBASTARD stock, 7", 6", 5.5"......hint hint....been too busy to get around to ordering some but it will happen.

Gazza,

Where do you find Grade 12 bolts? How many marks are there on the head? I've heard of them before but all my searches have come up with nothing.

I'd always thought the grade 12's were not available to the public and that you had to be involved in heavy industry to get ahold of them.

Thanks again, everyone. Was very curious how the steel I have rated against the IM nails. I figured it would be pretty much the same, but wow!

Eric - how long until the 3/8" x 7" I sent along goes down? When you're done with it I got some 7/16" round just for fun ;) .

Another question for all - if I added some HRS in 1/4 & 5/16 to replace the stuff I'm weeding out of the bags, would this be good? Is there a lot of variation in the HRS.

Also, I'll check with my supplier on grade 12 bolts.

Thanks again, guys!

John Beatty, I will try the 3/8"X7" today. I'm not expecting a lot, unless the steel happens to be relatively soft. I'll report back. ;)

Gazza, I'm gonna try tht grd 12 as well today. That just seems ridiculous typing the number "12" after the word "grade"!

Dave Ostlund, this particular bolt has a "12.9" stamped on its head. Other than the the manufacturer's initials "SBC", those are all the markings. This thing is charcoal black and measures nearly 5/16" thick and is 9 3/4" long (10" total length). Gazza told me this bolt likes to hold up 600 pound engine blocks just for fun. And it goes without saying, but the bolt doesn't even kink when performing this feat! :whacked

Terminator, I'll arrange a meeting between you and several of the Little Bastards. Those poor bastards. :erm

Kiwi Crusher, my next goal is to go 5 1/2 or 5 3/4" with a Red, and then start cutting down Beatty's 5/16" stock. If and when David Horne calibrates some 300+ kilo bars for sale, I'd love to certify on that as well.

I would be very careful with any bolts tempered harder than a Grade 8. They will take your head off, at the very least wrap them with Kevlar....real Kevlar.

Breaking something over your leg or between your legs is one thing...especially if the item breaks after a significant bend......(super bolts like a grade 12 are designed for no stretch or elongation, meaning they don't bend much before they break)......if something was to break while tucked under your chin you would likely be dead or disfigured.

I would be very careful with any bolts tempered harder than a Grade 8.  They will take your head off, at the very least wrap them with Kevlar....real Kevlar. 

Breaking something over your leg or between your legs is one thing...especially if the item breaks after a significant bend......(super bolts like a grade 12 are designed for no stretch or elongation, meaning they don't bend much before they break)......if something was to break while tucked under your chin you would likely be dead or disfigured.

Ouch! I'm glad I read this PRIOR to attempting the bend. Not that the bolt was going to give the least little bit, anyways. But let's scratch that grd 12 attempt. :cry

And Pat, go clean up your PM box right now, or no bending for you the rest of the week!

Edited by EricMilfeld