Grip-noob Comes To Question Pros

destructivus

hi guys!

i am new here at the gripboard!

i am 17 now, and i a´m from vienna(austria!) [EUROPE!! i´ve met americans that didn´t even know that there is a country named austria :dry ]

i started to train my forearms when i was 14, back then i just used those cheap grippers which i got at a sports store. my forearms refused to grow a bit but that was i all wanted! at least they got stronger ;)

now i am interested in size, as well as in STRENGTH :rock

that´s why i got myself an ivanko super gripper

at the moment i am trying to close a certain set (of the springs) for 3 reps and then proceed to the next higher level

i usually do two sets per arm plus one set of negatives

i work out each 2-3 days

now my questions!

is my "workout-schedule"(what do u guys call it) ok?

how to train for maximum gain of strentgh?? (with the ISG)

how often should i train and for how many sets?

and how to train for forearmsize(which is still very important to me), or is it the ISG not suitable for gaining forearmsize (but just strength) ?

i hope you can answer my questions

thanks in advance

[and if you don´t mind: please DO correct spelling mistakes :) ]

bye

destructivus, the wannabe gripstar :online

Edited by destructivus

i have looked around the board a bit and had one question coming up: what is the KTA program?

edit: i just remembered another thing that i was wondering about recently: i was working out with the ISG at noon, and in the evening i was much stronger, i could close a "much more" higher level(of the ISG) than i could during the first workout that day. the day after i wasn´t able to close those high level again! how could that be?

that happened to me twice until now!!

is this just because i am quite new on grip training, and that my strength will get more constant soon?

have you ever enocuntered such experiences?

Edited by destructivus

Of course we know where Austria is! Say hullo to my friend Robert if you are ever in Traun!

Maybe you were still sleepy at noon and couldn't apply full concentration? Make sure you are warmed up enough before trying heavier attempts on your gripper, warming up makes me more consistant. Look around for more routine tips, and don't neglect other lifts like thickbar, pinching, and levering for strength and size.

Working your hands will only have a marginal impact on your forearm size. If you want big forearms, you need to be working the muscles that flex and extend your wrists directly. Things like wrist curls or a wrist roller are a good start.

of course i will, AP, i got friends in traun myself, actually they´re livin next to traun ;)

ok, so i will do wrist curls for growth and use the isg for strength

another question: has anyone ever compared the resistance of a coc gripper to the one of a certain ISG setting that says it has the same resistance as the coc? i am thinking of getting a coc gripper too and was wondering which would be the right one, i guess most people would recommend the #2, wouldn´t they!?

according to the isg i can close a resistance of 77kg, the #2 has 88kg

is it possible to compare the resistance of a isg to the one of a coc?

Edited by destructivus

The ISG doesn't carry over that well to grippers, the COCs are very specialized pieces of strength equipment. You can probably close the #1 with your current strength levels, but I would still recommend getting it first. You probably won't be able to close most #2s. If the only gripper you have is one that you cannot close, you will not get the feel for exactly how hard the final few mms of the close are. You can use overcrushes, strapholds and even file your #1 as you get stronger.

If you have the money, I would recommend getting both the #1 and #2, and maybe even a trainer (I still use mine to warmup with.) An unfortunate side effect of this might be that you don't use your ISG anymore as the COCs are much more addictive ;)

Edited by AP

don´t worry about that! i am already addicted to my isg! ;) but i can easily imagine that a coc-addiction can be stronger :D

you´re right: i should get both, the #1 and the #2

anyway, i should wait with this a bit and gain some strength with the isg, my parents already think i am lil bit crazy because of buying those strange looking powertool (ISG), the arrival of two cocs would probably make them give me free for adoption :laugh

and what are overcrushes?

Edited by destructivus

:rock Austria is where the current governor of California was born. This particular politician has lifted his share of weights. He was head of the President's council on physical fitness durring the presidency of George Herbert Walker Bush.

an over-crush one of two things:

1. a filed gripper that gives you an extended sweep

2. upon closing the gripper squeeze the living crap outta it (i.e. apply excess force when holding the handles together.

An overcrush is option 2. squeezing the living crap ect...

A filed gripper is BTR, beyond the range, of a normal close.

• 2 weeks later...
An overcrush is option 2. squeezing the living crap ect...

Exactly!

As Rick Walker says "If your eyes arent popping out of your head, Your not overcrushing!"