Hammer Curls - Working Awesome

rbrown

For a while now--since February, I have not really done any specific grip work or farmers or heavy deads. I've just been focusing on my squats, etc.

One thing that I have been doing twice per week for my bench is hammer curls. Nothing crazy, just something at the end of my workout like 2 sets of 12 with the 45 lb dbs or the 50s with strict form.

Yesterday for the first time in a long while I tried the rolling thunder while at a friend's gym and hit a PR of 230 in my right, 215 in left, on that type of handle (a plastic one that is relatively new). I've hit higher numbers on my metal rolling thunder and my old platic rolling thunder, but was pleased with this on this handle.

I think it is the hammer curls that are helping my supporting grip improve.

Ryan

Hammer curls are a great forearm builder. Make sure to do the negative phase of the lift reeeeeaaaaaally slow. If you have any visable veins in your forearms, they'll realy stand out on this movement.

I too have had some good results with Hammer curls, They seem to give my forearm the defense and strength they need to carry-on lifting heavier and heavier weights.

My anvil was coming off the ground 2 or 3 times a week and then something twinged in my arm and it all stopped! Hammer curls and a bit of levering have sorted all that out and its back off the ground again.

I think it comes down to balancing all ones grip work with general condidtioning as well.

Never forget where your strength came from! ;)

Digz.

I love hammer curls and I use them as well while bringing up my pressing strength. Nice work Ryan!

Austin

Do hammer curls with a barbell. This puts more wrist into the movement and makes it a heck of alot harder on the bicept. Whenever I do them it feels like the first three aren't bad then you go to lift the fourth one and you've got nothing left.

Tricept bars work too, and sometimes have to, but the shorter curling barbells are more what I was thinking of. Make sure you use a good pair of collars. Then again if you had a platform to stand on you could use the 7' long ones. If you can do them...

• 2 weeks later...

How Much weight do you guys do on the Dumbell hammer curls?

i have done the standing barbell hammer curls he speaks of, and they are absolutely beastly.....stand on a bench, or if you feel unstable a small platform. grab the bar in the middle, and curl. for an extra treat, press it over head after that.

Try doing hammer curls with a log. I usually have to do some pretty serious cheating by the end of the set and it leaves my forearms and biceps nicely smoked.

I forgot to mention that. Mossman is right, the overhead press is a nice treat. My overhead is very good and my curling so-so but even so it is still a challenge for me to do the presses with the barbell.

Heavy dumbells curls or Heavy log curls IMO-best overall arm/bicep/forearm exercise there is.

As brown said-big help on the Rolling THunder too.

If you don't use straps-it takes strong hands /fingers to keep the dumbell IN you hands as it swings through its ark.Fighting the momentum.

I think a lot of strength athletes overlook arm strength.

heavier the better.A lot of the top Euro strongmen see to have big pipes and strong arms.

Maybe follow up the Hammer curls with some strict bicep movements.

Tom I read a book on arm wrestling which recomended a tri-set of reverse curls, hammer curls, and biceps curls. While I don't know if you have any interest in arm wrestling, I do think this "arm wrestler's trio" is an excellent idea for overall arm developement. You might also consider investing in one of those "biceps blaster" devices, these things are designed to prevent cheating by moving the upper arm durring curling movements.

Can your guy's arms take hammer and regular bicept curls in the same workout? My poundages always suffer alot if I do so I usually do my upper back work with a parallel grip then do my bicept work palms up or viceversa. Reverse curls are for lower arm work days.