2 Hand/ 1 Hand Negative Pinch Grip Work

VeGripper

I forget who had posted here some time ago regarding their lifts with the blob improving greatly with negative work (something regarding putting a plank under the Blob and pulling it out, working on the lowering of it rather than the liftoff.) I decided to give this a try with plate pinching today, and it was definitely interesting.

Started with some warmups on the old small IM pinch block up to 50, then took a pair of 45s and tried the negative pinching with them. Whereas I can't even begin to budge them off the floor with one hand, I found that I could take a 2-2.5 second negative with lowering them if I did it in this manner, so as that they were slower and under control. Now, the thing to note is that these were rubber coated plates that have a very tiny lip around 1" down from the edge, but I did everything in my power to not use it to my advantage and set the plates down with pure pinch.

So, my question is, has anyone else used this with plates as opposed to Blobs to try and boost their pinch up to new levels? I don't see how it could be anything but beneficial, so I'll be trying each week to slow down my lowering until eventually I can hold them for a second or two before I have to start the drop. If anyone else has had success with this I'd love to hear about it!

yea my gym only has those rubber coated plates with that same small lip.....i can fairly easly pinch 2 45,s off the ground with those....i think with flat metal plates it would be much much harder.

and those negitives will help you.

I can't see why negatives wouldn't work for pinching, they definately do wonders for crushing strenght.....keep us posted on your progress!

Negatives for pinching are great. I use them on hex heads, blobs, the Inch bell, plate pinches, etc. When I was training to lift the Inch, I would brace a couple fingers against one of the bells and lift. Once I got it in the air, I would take those fingers off and try like heck to hang onto the dumbbell with the one hand. When I got the point where I could hang onto the dumbbell for a few seconds without it slipping, I was only a week or so away from lifting it from the ground to lockout. Granted, I tilted the bell but it is still hard.

Same deal with the 50lb hex head. I get my hand positioned on the weight, squeeze with all I'm worth and just use a finger from the other hand to help lift the weight. Once it is off the ground, I remove the finger and try to hang on. Again, once I got it to hover in the air for a few seconds, I was real close to pulling it from the ground unassisted.