• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• EricMilfeld

• Mikael Siversson

• amaury

How is Eric's style any different from Pat's?

Pat places three, as opposed to my two, fingers on on the bar.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/Gallery/hofii/sl...hletic.com.html

Edited by EricMilfeld

Why was I brought into this thread? I see a bunch of bitching about a rule that supposedly now doesn't make a difference.....so why does the bitching continue? Beats the heck out of me.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the wrapping material is used for padding and not as an extended lever for pulling on the ends of the nail it doesn't matter. The rule was designed to minimize or eliminate the chance of cheating in this manner.

Don't purport to know everything about how I bend based on a video capture of one bend......BTW....with a shitload of weight hanging from the back of my head, in a public forum, after a bunch of other crap.....and don't start a war you can't possibly win. I am bending Reds, very short cut reds, and much harder stuff in so many ways you never imagined.....

If you are now able to bend as well (which remains to be seen) with the new style that's marvelous....enough complaining already.

Not to take sides on this, but for those who are non-believers, the AOBS dinner is open to anybody to attend to watch Pat in action. Diesel Boys-any comments?

Diesel Boys-any comments

Not sure what you are looking for here Steve? I hope it isnt an attack on me, or Smitty and Jedd. We have never had a harsh word to say about Pat, and I am sure he can testify to that.

As far as Pat's bending goes, I have seen it first hand. He is quick, precise, and deadly. Even while holding smooth granite stones or hanging 100s of pounds off of his head, he destroys anything he can get his hands on. Pat, in my book, is by far the best bender on the planet-period.

I would love to go to the AOBS, it just inst in the cards. Being unemployed right now, and living off my wife's income, we are unable to afford the trip, hotel expenses, food, etc. We are saving for a week in June to go to MD...if I told her we are going to the dinner, it would put a wrench in the other trip-and I would be casterated...believe it. :whacked

But, anyone who can get to the dinner I advise you to do so. Pat is a work of art when he bends, and you dont want to miss it up close and personal. Videos do no justice... :bow

Rick Walker :rock

Not sure what you are looking for here Steve? I hope it isnt an attack on me, or Smitty and Jedd. We have never had a harsh word to say about Pat, and I am sure he can testify to that.

Rick,

Not an attack at all. Knowing that all you guys saw Pat in action, I was just soliciting some feedback on what you have personally witnessed.

Pat, my response was to Mikael, as he seems to think your method of bending is a much purer form as compared to Eric's. I see no difference in technique. Mikael is the one that seems to bring up your name in these threads.

Strongmitts,

I was referring to Pat's initial concerns about Eric's bending style, which he posted in an earlier thread (thus being common knowledge). My second concern regarding pushing the thumbs more-or-less straight into the ends of a largely un-bent bar is my personal view. I speak for myself on that one.

I say bend anyway you want. Bending is still young enough that it is anyone's guess what the final standard will be. If you think the other person's style is making it way too easy, whip their ass at their own game.

Dang it Bob, there's no place in an argument like this for rational thought!

As long as the hands are the only contact points on the nail, I see no issues. I mean if doing it a certain way is actually superior and makes the bend easier, it seems to me that would be the best way to bend it. I mean hell, if we're concerned about it being too easy, lets start requiring one hand bends. :yikes

CMunger Posted on May 20 2004, 12:45 PM

.... I mean hell, if we're concerned about it being too easy, lets start requiring one hand bends.

I know where I would like some people to stick the other end.... Oh wait, would that be considered bracing? :D

As long as the hands are the only contact points on the nail, I see no issues. I mean if doing it a certain way is actually superior and makes the bend easier, it seems to me that would be the best way to bend it. I mean hell, if we're concerned about it being too easy, lets start requiring one hand bends. :yikes

True,

if only the hands contacted the nail there would be no rule hassles.

Unfortunatly only Brookfield seem to get any enjoyment from bending with nothing between the hands and nail so that is just too harsh. But it is the pure hardcore bend which is easy to show anywhere!

I say bend anyway you want. Bending is still young enough that it is anyone's guess what the final standard will be. If you think the other person's style is making it way too easy, whip their ass at their own game.

OH man! do i agree. I want to see PR bends from benders that use 2 rags but only using 1 rag,and we already saw what happens when single rag benders use 2 rags. I think the biggest problem changing is that its just a different technique to get used to. Its the same as JB complaining about the way Nathan and Pat bends

If the way they bend is so easy then he should prove it.

My only question is for terminator - what exactly were you thinking the first time you combined the monster head strap with the bending - cut reds weren't enough?

Pretty cool trick!

By way guys, I've tried every style except putting them in a vise with a cheater pipe over the end and I can't even kink a red, so argueing about rags and pads and two verus one is all up to you fellows.

• 5 weeks later...

I accept the challenge and will start a new thread on my progress on nail folding. Last workout I tried a 1/4'' stock (equivalent to IM's yellow/blue stock) at 5 1/2'' and bent it (or rather folded it) with ease. The introduction and subsequent spread of the folding technique will (probably) result in a change of the official IM rules as the number of red nail benders (folders) will increase rapidly, diluting the significance of a red nail write up in Milo.

I accept the challenge and will start a new thread on my progress on nail folding. Last workout I tried a 1/4'' stock (equivalent to IM's yellow/blue stock) at 5 1/2'' and bent it (or rather folded it) with ease. The introduction and subsequent spread of the folding technique will (probably) result in a change of the official IM rules as the number of red nail benders (folders) will increase rapidly, diluting the significance of a red nail write up in Milo.

I am a bending illiterate.

Educate me on the difference between a nail "fold" and a nail "bend".

When you fold a nail you apply lots of compressional force rather than relying on the fulcrums formed by the index fingers. The difference is very dramatic. When I use the folding technique, the battle is over as soon as there is even the slightest bend. From there on the nail is folded with accelerating speed. Bending a nail is a much slower process as the wrists are not fixed but move out of an ideal position following the nail so to speak. Watch the speed by with Eric folded a 280k challenge bar on one of his video clips.

When you fold a nail you apply lots of compressional force rather than relying on the fulcrums formed by the index fingers. The difference is very dramatic. When I use the folding technique, the battle is over as soon as there is even the slightest bend. From there on the nail is folded with accelerating speed. Bending a nail is a much slower process as the wrists are not fixed but move out of an ideal position following the nail so to speak. Watch the speed by with Eric folded a 280k challenge bar on one of his video clips.

So does everyone fold on the GripBoard?

The abundance of misinformation is such that even this response is unwarranted.

The horse is not only dead, it's fossilized.

Everyone folds, and an equal amount bend. When push comes to shove. :D

It has been reported that some people are ripping decks of cards and not tearing them. The matter is being looked into.

We are all nail folders lol :D

I see what you mean by applying lateral pressure during the initial kink Mikael, and of course with this side pressure it requires less "hand torque" to perform the bend and thus less hand strength. But the real question is : does EVERYBODY can bend harder nails with this technique ? If the answer is yes i will be glad to use this technique from now on... :tongue

Soooooo... For the moment i use the old Terminator style, so do i bend or fold ? Since I know i can apply triceps strength and a a little back strength on the end of the nail during that first stage i must be folding the nail right ? But wait a minute ! I use a single IM rag so i must also be pulling on the end of the rag somewhere during the process.

So am i pulling a nail fold or pulling a nail bend ? :D