Adapting To The Rules Change

EricMilfeld

I've done no bending to speak of lately, because of a painful right forefinger, although I did fail to crush down a piece of Fat Bastard stock a week ago in an attempt to certify. I had wrapped this stock with my usual padding. So today I got a wild hare and decided to try a bend following the new rules. I cut two pieces of thin (varies in thickness from just under 1/16" to just over 1/16", as it's natural cowhide) leather and wrapped each end of my last 205 Challenge Bar. It felt easier than I expected. So what the heck, let's try a Red. I think that was the easiest a Red ever went down for me. I discovered today that the new bending rule has introduced me to a way of wrapping the stock that makes the bend (especially) the crushdown considerably easier. Now it's gonna be hard to stay focused solely on grippers, to the exclusion of bending. Hmmm... maybe I'll still bend once a week.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• EricMilfeld

• Mikael Siversson

• amaury

Can't wait to hear the Wrap Police talk about all the unfair advantages you've gained with your new wrapping style, once you put a new video out :D . Should be fairly entertaining again.

I've done no bending to speak of lately, because of a painful right forefinger, although I did fail to crush down a piece of Fat Bastard stock a week ago in an attempt to certify. I had wrapped this stock with my usual padding. So today I got a wild hare and decided to try a bend following the new rules. I cut two pieces of thin (varies in thickness from just under 1/16" to just over 1/16", as it's natural cowhide) leather and wrapped each end of my last 205 Challenge Bar. It felt easier than I expected. So what the heck, let's try a Red. I think that was the easiest a Red ever went down for me. I discovered today that the new bending rule has introduced me to a way of wrapping the stock that makes the bend (especially) the crushdown considerably easier. Now it's gonna be hard to stay focused solely on grippers, to the exclusion of bending. Hmmm... maybe I'll still bend once a week.

Oh Really I never would have guessed ;) Good job Eric

I played around with the new rule today. Nothing special, just seems like a little more of a pain in the ass to get wrapped how I like it.

I played around with the new rule today. Nothing special, just seems like a little more of a pain in the ass to get wrapped how I like it.

Yes Bob, I know what you mean. It took me about three minutes to wrap and about 30 seconds to bend. I like the leather, though. It's not as puncture resistant as the Iron Mind pads, nor as cushiony as a towel, but it's a nice compromise.

Eric great work! You mean to tell me that the old way you wrapped it didnt give you the advantage everyone said it was? lol. I never doubted you would be equally impressive regardless of what you used to bend with. I would say bend 1xwk just space out your crush workouts and give yourself a couple of days off before you hit grippers again and Im betting both will climb. God Bless buddy

Austin

No doubt that you are a BA bender Eric.

I am ordering a new pair of IM Pads and am going to start to use them to wrap the nails.

I have wrapped a variety of ways and it is still the person gripping the nail that will do the bending.

Brett

Good job, Eric. I knew you wouldn't have any problem adapting to the rule change. Get that finger well and lets get together for some early morning bending! :rock:rock

The newer IM pads seem easier to puncture. I've put holes in them and have onlku usedthem 3 times.

Eric that's GREAT news buddy ! Cheers ! :rock:rock:rock

Nothing special, just seems like a little more of a pain in the ass to get wrapped how I like it.

Lol :D

I don't like the new IM pads either. They might have changed them recently, but I'm not sure. Instead of Kevlar which is what I think the old ones were, these are Cordura material. From movies I've seen that the older Kevlar pads were small but these new ones are 12" X 12". They are pretty stiff and slippery so I can't get a decent wrap on nails at all.

Great job Eric! I'm with Chris, we need to get together again soon. I can't wait to see you bend the heck out of some big steel! Congrats on mastering the new rule!

W

Eric

I think that you are the sort of person that if you wanted too,could even train to bend the RED bare handed,you reallly are a genuine bloke with lots of inner strength and spirit and even when the doubters and naysayers were trying to pull you down,you just ploded on like the true gentleman you are and proved without a shadow of a doubt that you are the rel deal and a more than worthy RED nail conqueror :D Hail ERIC the red :D

I know that Eric being the Gentleman that he is as well as a Christian would never say this to the doubters,so i will say it for him NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH :D

Okay.

I have read enough.

I was one of the ones, amoung others, who thought Eric was getting some advantage from the towel.

I dont remember ever once saying I hope Eric fails with the new rule. I dont remember anyone else saying they hope eric fails with the new rule. I was simply pointing out what I saw in the video. Period.

I converse with Eric fom time to time via PM. I think he is awesome-a great bender and and even greater person. I would never wish failure on him and never once said I hope he fails.

The fact that some many people think that I thought that way really pisses me off...

Good job Eric...

Rick Walker :rock

Rick, this whole internet format of conversing is great (infamous) for misungerstandings. Thank you for the kind words.

....and even when the doubters and naysayers were trying to pull you down,you just ploded on like the true gentleman you are and proved without a shadow of a doubt that you are the rel deal and a more than worthy RED nail conqueror :D Hail ERIC the red :D

The last remnants of respect that I had for you just evaporated Gazza. As Rick pointed out, no one has any interest in seeing Eric fail. You are missing the point (what a surprise). We just wanted Eric to bend with his hands on the bar rather than having them hanging off the ends. He has now satisfied one of my concerns (the other one being the use of padding thick enough to allow the thumb (or other parts of the hand) to be pushed straight into the ends of the bar at almost right angles.

Mikael, I am meeting the requirements of the rewritten rules by using two seperate pads. I've also proven, atleast to myself, that I was not pulling on the towel to achieve greater leverage, as doing so with two seperate pieces of leather would obviously result in their sliding off the bar. I have not, however, changed my technigue. I still push on the ends of the bar. If you or the person(s) you speak of representing intend to prevent this pushing on the ends of the bar, then no rewriting of the rules concerning padding, short of disallowing the padding from covering the bar's ends, would serve to accomplish this, and therefor the only alternative would be to require all five fingers to be placed fully on the bar. But remember, at some point during the bend all of us have to "switch gears" and push on the bar to continue the bend. So at what point would individual fingers be permitted to leave the bar to allow for room to push on the bar? Thirty degrees? Forty-five degrees? My point is, you are traveling down a very slippery slope in attempting to prevent the use of the technique I employ.

Gazza, I consider you a worthy friend. Thank you for your support, and I would bet I'm not the only one who would miss your presence here on the board if you choose to leave.

Gazza as is Eric is beloved around here. The self appointed bending police are not beloved, and have no authority whatsoever and need to lighten up! :calm

Mikael, I am meeting the requirements of the rewritten rules by using two seperate pads. I've also proven, atleast to myself, that I was not pulling on the towel to achieve greater leverage, as doing so with two seperate pieces of leather would obviously result in their sliding off the bar. I have not, however, changed my technigue. I still push on the ends of the bar. If you or the person(s) you speak of representing intend to prevent this pushing on the ends of the bar, then no rewriting of the rules concerning padding, short of disallowing the padding from covering the bar's ends, would serve to accomplish this, and therefor the only alternative would be to require all five fingers to be placed fully on the bar. But remember, at some point during the bend all of us have to "switch gears" and push on the bar to continue the bend. So at what point would individual fingers be permitted to leave the bar to allow for room to push on the bar? Thirty degrees? Forty-five degrees? My point is, you are traveling down a very slippery slope in attempting to prevent the use of the technique I employ.

Gazza, I consider you a worthy friend. Thank you for your support, and I would bet I'm not the only one who would miss your presence here on the board if you choose to leave.

Eric, I apply direct side pressure (comparable to your's in the initial overhand åposition) to the ends of the nail when it is bent 90 degrees or more (usually around 60-80 degrees). This would hopefully be easy enough to judge. I am sure one could come up with a standard cloth that would be too thin to allow direct, full side pressure at very wide angles. You can bend whichever way you like. Why do you care about what I, Pat and, as he said, probably also Brookfield, Rodgers and Slim Farman (along with other benders) would think about your bending style? Obviously you seek approval from people other than the usual crowd. It probably bothers you that some other great benders disapprove of your style. I will waste no more time on arguing with you about this.

Eric,

Keep on smiling!! :D

Brett

It looks like Eric is dominating the Red every which way until Sunday.

Keep it up!

:)

T!