Gripboard Grip Bash V Results

EricMilfeld

Being that my deadlift was also a bit of an outlying number, I would like to dispel any doubt that I did this and will attempt an even bigger number within the next 10 days. I will video tape it and send it to either Bill or Eric.

David Ostlund Posted on May 17 2004, 04:04 PM

Being that my deadlift was also a bit of an outlying number, I would like to dispel any doubt that I did this and will attempt an even bigger number within the next 10 days. I will video tape it and send it to either Bill or Eric. 

Hell, I was there and saw Dave's lifts with my own eyes (as did three other GB members) so I can vouch for it's authenticity. Even so, a video of this feat would be very cool (let me know if you need a videographer). I think that Dave is on a very short list of people who can manage this poundage.

Depending on the location for the performance, I may even take another shot at the stones. The bright red spots on my forearms have now faded to sickly yellow/purple bruises so I am almost fully recovered!

Edit:

As far as the strap poundage. I had the same issue as outlined by Munger above, during the event, I made it up to my recorded weight, and then my next attempt slipped and the knurling was totally stripped out, after that I was not able to replicate even my recorded weight.

Someone with an engineering background could probably figure out the required application of pressure between a very small AL gripper handle and a steel band to maintain the friction forces required to complete the lift. I would guess that we are in #4 territory. I am not saying that it did not happen but I asked my magic 8--ball, and it said "signs point to no."

Edited by GordonV

To the real competitors who lifted nearly 30 lbs, that's some amazing straplifitng with a metal strap.
Mungers right. 30 pounds on a metal band is a unreal amount of weight to straphold on any gripper.

Yes, I agree

David,

Didn't even blink an eye with those numbers, I doubt anyone did...

Who said he used a metal banding strap? The thread on the rules said that " The strap must not exceed 1/8" in thickness, and be no wider than a standard ruler. Banding strap or a metal ruler is suggested." It could have been a 1/8" thick metal ruler.

I like the GB because they are informal and reporting the scores is done on the honor system. The one thing I don't get is how someone could have done 90lbs on a #2 yet failed to get more than 60lbs on a #1. Did I just fall into a parallel universe where the #2's are easier than the #1's? If so, I need to call Ironmind and get a few #4's sent my way!

I think smitty summed it up best - if you have to lie in an online contest, then you've got no integrity. But if Straub pulls this off with a clean video and earns his $50, then we'll all be eating our words.

Edited by ClayEdgin

I think smitty summed it up best - if you have to lie in an online contest, then you've got no integrity. But if Straub pulls this off with a clean video and earns his $50, then we'll all be eating our words.

Ha! There could be a big Ol' Crow cooking in the pot right now.. :)

Lets` see

Dave, I don't think anyone here doubts your numbers. I know I don't doubt you.

-Jedd-

I like the GB because they are informal and reporting the scores is done on the honor system.  The one thing I don't get is how someone could have done 90lbs on a #2 yet failed to get more than 60lbs on a #1.  Did I just fall into a parallel universe where the #2's are easier than the #1's?  If so, I need to call Ironmind and get a few #4's sent my way!

Yeah, my brother was wrong i did 70lbs on the #2 with a belt...and did 55lbs plus the loading pin=60lbs on a metal ruler on the #1, oh and by the way... i don't have a camera but will try and get my hands on one asap. And early today i did a 25lbs plate on the loading pin and used a metal rule which is thinner then 1/8, i did 30lbs overall with the loading pin weight on it with the #2... once again i'm not saying anyone of you guys have to believe me until i get proof, i know where your coming from just be patience, again sorry for the mix up.

I just PM'ed Wannagrip with a change in the final results. I mistakenly erased two of the contestants' results. So Scott Helms and Dane Garreau should be added to the list in their proper places shortly. This will not affect the top five rankings, however. Sorry for my mistake, Scott and Dane. And nice liftin' guys!

For my straphold I used a 30cm metal ruler attached to three 5kg plates and two 0.5kg weights via a thin piece of nylon rope. I haven't weighed it, but if the numbers on the plates are right then that makes it 35.2lbs according to my conversion.

I had trouble supporting the weight with my arm.

The gripper I used is almost two years old and the some of the knurling on the inside of the handles is worn away from grinding the handles.

To be honest I was a little surprised to see some of those names lift less than me, and that makes me feel as though it wasn't a truly accurate test of crushing strength as I'm certain people like Jedd have far stronger crushing grips than I.

None the less it was fun and I'll be doing it again.

As a side note regarding the video taping of all lifts, I have no access to a video camera and I live in Australia. Hence I wouldn't bother competing if I had to track down a video camera, record the lifts then mail them to America. I'm sure many other people from many other countries would be in a similar position.

Hopefully everyone will simply be honest, after all, they're only cheating themselves and will eventually be caught out.

Jeff

Jeff,

It's true, man. It brings more credibility to the contest when experienced competitors like yourself can take part. It would be a shame if veterans like yourself had to be left out of these cool online contests. Perhaps mandatory video is not the way to go.

-Jedd-

Who here can statically hold a 90lb dumbbell with slightly bent elbow in front of them? Hammer curl style?

Come on i'm sure all of you strong guys can do at least a 90lbs cheated hammer curl ??? :blink

Congrats to everyone who competed! Some awesome poundages were displayed!! I had hope to get in the 400's for the fingers DL but my rib was still not 100%

Jon@han

Who here can statically hold a 90lb dumbbell with slightly bent elbow in front of them? Hammer curl style?

Come on i'm sure all of you strong guys can do at least a 90lbs cheated hammer curl ??? :blink

I'll load 180 on my log and try it today (no 90 lb dumbells) The holding/pausing in that position for ANY length of time would be the hypothetical catch. And when you think about the dynamics involved in a cheating movement (inertia, momentum) it makes the idea of lifting and strapholding that amount of weight with the gripper straight up and down even more implausible.

I see the list has been corrected. Thanks Wanna!

Required video would defeat the puprose of our contest. I really don't think there has been any INTENTIONAL cheating in the contest. A selection of events in which subjective judging of performance is kept to a minimum is key.

And thanks again to all the competitors for taking part. It's exciting to see the numbers getting bigger with regards to the turnout, as well as the lifts!

Eric, this contest was great fun. Not only did it help up to push to great PRs, but it also made us try something new. If it wern't for this contest i would probebly never tried a 4 finger deadlift. Thanks for putting it on, can't wait till next time.

We have a late entry. A very strong one by the name of Eli Thomas, who trains with the Diesel Crew. I guess we can't rank him with the others officially, but here are his very fine lifts. Congratulations on your quality lifting, Eli!

Eli Thomas

451 (9.58)

401 (6.52)

110 (5.31)

20 (3.33)

85 (6.30)

(31.04)

Eli's strong.

-Jedd-