Gripboard Grip Bash V Results

EricMilfeld

RESULTS KEY

-poundage is followed by the corresponding points in parentheses

-"PR" denotes personal record

-total points are listed last

-poundage for lifts listed in the following order:

1)double overhand deadlift with olympic bar

2)reverse grip deadlift using only first two fingers and thumb of each hand with olympic bar

3)two hands plate pinch

4)metallic straphold lift with #1 gripper

5)strict reverse curl

1)Stefan Straub (Strong Man)

360 (7.64)

260 (4.23) PR

175 (8.45) PR

60 (10)

110 (8.15) PR

(38.47)

2)Eric Milfeld

465 (9.87) PR

475 (7.72) PR

181 (8.74)

22 (3.67)

110 (8.15) PR

(38.15)

3)Jedd Johnson

471 (10)

401 (6.52)

195 (9.42)

28 (4.67)

100 (7.41)

(38.02)

4)David Ostlund

445 (9.45)

615 (10)

160 (7.73)

20 (3.33)

95 (7.04)

(37.55)

5)Jonathan Creason (underdawg)

430 (9.13) PR

350 (5.69) PR

207 (10) PR

20 (3.33) PR

120 (8.89) PR

(37.04)

6)Mark Hampton (mcham)

396 (8.41) PR

319 (5.19) PR

165 (7.97)

25 (4.17) PR

105 (7.78)

(33.52)

7)Gordon Vizecky (GordonV)

385 (8.17)

385 (6.26)

175 (8.45)

25 (4.17)

85 (6.30)

(33.35)

8)Nik Straub (gripmaster316)

400 (8.49)

300 (4.88)

140 (6.76)

45 (7.50)

75 (5.56)

(33.19)

9)John McEneany (OldGuy)

455 (9.66) PR

355 (5.77) PR

160 (7.73) PR

(didn't contest)

135 (10) PR

(33.16)

10)Chris Caffery (strongmitts)

415 (8.81) PR

335 (5.45)

146 (7.05) PR

27 (4.50)

90 (6.67)

(32.48)

11)Jonathan McMillan

375 (7.96)

385 (6.26)

168 (8.12)

12 (2.00)

105 (7.78)

(32.12)

12)James Smith (smitty)

363 (7.71)

401 (6.52)

140 (6.76)

20 (3.33)

105 (7.78)

(32.10)

13)Ross Baker (Robohands)

441 (9.36) PR

403 (6.55) PR

130 (6.28)

15 (2.50)

95 (7.04)

(31.73)

14)Scott Helms

335 (7.11) PR

315 (5.12) PR

110 (5.31)

40 (6.67) PR

85 (6.30)

(30.51)

15)Weldon Stogsdill (dubthewonderscot)

415 (8.81)

335 (5.45)

131 (6.33)

17 (2.83)

90 (6.67)

(30.09)

16)Jeff Tan (Jeff T)

325 (6.90)

265 (4.31)

138 (6.67)

35 (5.83)

83 (6.15)

(29.86)

17)Dane Garreau (danegarreau)

365 (7.75) PR

245 (3.98) PR

140 (6.76)

25 (4.17) PR

75 (5.56) PR

(28.22)

18)Michael Rogowski (foggymountainmuscle)

345 (7.32) PR

285 (4.63) PR

133 (6.43) PR

3 (1.50) PR

80 (5.93)

(25.81)

BEST LIFTS

Overhand Deadlift: Jedd Johnson- 471

Four Finger Deadlift: David Ostlund- 615

Plate Pinch: Jonathan Creason- 207

Straphold: Stefan Straub- 60

Reverse Curl: John McEneany- 135

Sixteen grip warriors gave The Gripboard Grip Bash V the distinction of not only being the largest on-line grip contest to date, but the most competitive as well. Taking the top spot, with no small help from his hefty straphold, was Stefan Straub, the Crushin' Canadian. Perhaps the single most impressive lift was performed by the bending and stone lifting maestro, David Ostlund. To call his 615 pound four-finger deadlift "world-class", would be understatement. And the word is he has more in him! The ever-entertaining and always focused Jedd Johnson put together some balanced lifts, including the contest's highest double overhand deadlift. Jonathan Creason was much too modest in his appraisal of his own lifting ability. Not only did he score the heaviest pinch with 207, but took second to noneother than the Wrist King himself, John McEneany, in the reverse curl. McEneany, by the way, managed a ninth place showing, despite the fact that he didn't perform the straphold event. Well, I hope all of you warriors had half as much fun as I did with the Grip Bash, and I look forward to you all showing up again next time with more of what this contest is all about: personal records!

Don't Forget: Stefan, Jedd, David, and Jonathan, please provide for me your mailing addresses so I can send to you your well deserved certificates for making the top five.

Thanks a lot for holding the contest Eric, it's gotten me back into training after at least a month of inactivity. This has shown me that by not training I've fallen even further behind. I'm going to train hard between now and the next one to better my place.

It's also good to see so many people competing and that the competition was so close. Congrats to everyone who broke PRs.

I'm looking forwards to the next one.

Jeff

Congrats to the top 5... very close! :rock

The 615lb 4 finger DL and the 60lb straphold are both amazing... well done David and Stefan.

Thanks Eric... I thoroughly enjoyed competing... definately going to do this again next time :)

Damn... just realised I forgot to add the weight of the loading pin I was using to hold the weight for the pinch... oh well :blush

FWIW I think part of the reason the turnout was so big this time was because no special equipment was required

Judging by the results each time around Eric, it may be time to start demanding proof?

Especially when the lifts are inching towards world class?

Just seems weird, to me anyway, to have a contest and declare a winner when proof is not given. This might a reason you arent having a bigger turnout?

Just my opinions...

Rick Walker :rock

Guest gripmaster316

I am surprised Stef won (I am going to beat him up when he gets home from school today :D). Stef has many grip years ahead of him, this is just the beginning.

Edited by gripmaster316

I hate to be the first one to say it, but I am skeptical of a 60 lb straphold with a metal strap. I am not saying that Stefan is lying, but I feel that maybe the strap the Straubs used was something other than metal and that they felt it would be "close enough". When you have other COC's and MashMonsters doing less than half of the best hold, that hold comes into question. I know I am going to get blasted but I had to throw in my two cents from the bottom of the stack so that the nice guys at the top in close contention, like Eric and Jedd, don't look like poor sports. Let it begin!!

Guest gripmaster316

I don't want to alarm you Robo, I have seen my brother do a 90lbs. strap hold (leather strap) with a #2. Stefan was going to do the MM but was eliminated from the list.

I dont want to alarm you gripmaster, but I have seen Jedd's crushing power up close, and it is scary. He dominated the level 2 MM, closes BBEs, and with a regular strap, could play with heavy weights with the #1.

90 pounds with a #2???? I will be the first to cry rule #4 on this one.....

The fact that you strapped that much more then Jedd has me thinking as well....

Something is fishy...hence I reason I think video proof of all lifts should be done. Hell-how hard is it to video all of your lifts on one tape, then send them to Eric?

Just seems weird, to me anyway, to have a contest and declare a winner when proof is not given. This might a reason you arent having a bigger turnout?

I don't know, I think this is part of what makes the G-bash interesting. There are plenty of opportunities in the grip world now to offer (and demand) proof but the G-bash is meant to be informal and accessible right?

I think the biggest outliers in this contest probably had more to do with equipment differences than anything.

It is Eric's contest, and the rules are the rules. They are up to his discretion.

Guest gripmaster316
I dont want to alarm you gripmaster, but I have seen Jedd's crushing power up close, and it is scary. He dominated the level 2 MM, closes BBEs, and with a regular strap, could play with heavy weights with the #1.

90 pounds with a #2???? I will be the first to cry rule #4 on this one.....

The fact that you strapped that much more then Jedd has me thinking as well....

Something is fishy...hence I reason I think video proof of all lifts should be done. Hell-how hard is it to video all of your lifts on one tape, then send them to Eric?

I was never alarmed at Jedd, his grip is very good (nice double over hand deadlift!) Why would my brother be honest is some events and not others? When it comes to grippers my brother is pretty good, what can I say?

I had a fun time trying out sme of these unorthodox lifts that I don't usually practice. The day that I did my deadlifts I thought for sure my double overhand would be better than my four-finger dead based on everyone's elses predictions. My double overhand really sucks for my deadlifting ability. I was really surprised I pulled 615. I did a 535 that felt ok, then a 585 that felt better and the 615 was all I had for that day. Had I gone straight from 535 to 625 I think it would have gone up. It is just such a painful lift though. I'm looking forward to the next gripbash and am already putting my vote in for a bending event. Here is my event wishlist:

Max bend

Max (60D's, Grade 5's, 8's, or Reds) in a half hour.

Max 2" bar clean

Max 4-finger deadlift

Max 2" bar deadlift (double overhand grip)

No crushing or pinching, all bending and support. Finally, a contest I could do well in.

Congratulations to everyone who hit PR's.

Stefan- The 60lb straphold is very impressive.

Jedd- Nice work on the double overhand dead and great all around performance. Hope to see you this August.

Eric- Very consistent. Impressive in everything.

Oldguy- 135lb strict reverse curl is awesome.

Jonathan- Great pinch!

Gordon- Nice job and make sure and come back to the boiler room for the next contest. You're welcome anytime.

The only thing I want to know is if a metal banding strap was required for the straphold event.

Dave Ostlund - Awesome four-finger dead. I have no doubt you pulled that much because I have seen what you an do with the 850-lb tire. All the best to you in your strength endeavors.

Smitty just missed a 401 double pronated dead. He was just about to lock that bitch out and the bar came spraying out of his hands.

Several new names that I do not recognized appear very high up on the list. With these kinds of results from you all, perhaps you should consider competing in grip contests. Very excellent numbers.

Jonathan - excellent pinch. Where are you from?

Eric, you edged me out again you little... Someday I will pull it all together, buddy. Excellent job, and excellently run contest. Thank you for taking the time to administer all this. It would be a shame if someone were not being honest in a gentleman's affair such as this.

Great turnout!

-Jedd-

Edited by Jedd Johnson

I don't want to alarm you Robo, I have seen my brother do a 90lbs. strap hold (leather strap) with a #2. Stefan was going to do the MM but was eliminated from the list.

He was not eliminated. He was put into the next session provided he is a member in good standing. He was not this last time in good standing. It clearly states they must be a member in good standing. He can sign up for next session.

By the way, people keep asking Stefan for proof of some of this stuff and I have yet to see it produced. We know the guys can create videos on his end. They have done it before.

90lbs with a #2? How? Held out from the body? Think about it. That's a one arm front raise with 90lbs while closing a gripper. Let's see it!

Who here can statically hold a 90lb dumbbell with slightly bent elbow in front of them? Hammer curl style?

Yes, sorry Eric for posting this here. Eric is supposed to send me updated results later today so I'll post them in a new thread to stay clear of this stuff.

Who here can statically hold a 90lb dumbbell with slightly bent elbow in front of them? Hammer curl style?

ME! ME!! ME!!!

:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

I still want him to send Jedd his #3....

Rick getting him to send this gripper or that gripper is not full proof. It seems in the past when people bull shit they get cought and look like idiots. I guess if anyone is fake it will eventually come out.

Listen...if you can't be honest on an online contest...where is your integrity? If you have to lie with this contest, you have something wrong with you.

Why is there such a discrepency in the straphold between 1st and 2nd place....obviously a metal strap was not used. I will say it, I will not beat around the bush....

Congratulations to all the competitors that were in the contest and hit PR's and continue to train and to be good representatives of the grip world...

I guess if anyone is fake it will eventually come out.

I'm saying eventually is here. I'm inviting him to take my money and make me look like an ass. All he has to do is provide video of himself replicating the his contest claims to show that he competed within the rules.

Looks liek my original reply was deleted. So I will edit and add that I'm offering him $50 to provide the video.

I took some metal banding strap, put 60lbs on, and attempted a straphold chestcrushing my BB Beginner. I can chest crush my 4, no big deal. I broke the weight off the ground once, but when it slipped, it destroyed the knurling at the contact points. Further attempts where not able to get the weight off the ground.

To the real competitors who lifted nearly 30 lbs, that's some amazing straplifitng with a metal strap.

Edited by CMunger

Mungers right. 30 pounds on a metal band is a unreal amount of weight to straphold on any gripper.