Urban's General And Mma Oriented Routine

urbandruid

I've always had a good grip... or thought I did. Popeye is my childhood hero and I always liked doing grip and lower arm work. then I was completely humbled by a number 2 COC gripper a couple months ago. I have since been able to close it once with my right hand and am a couple milimeters away from closing it with my left. So begins my real quest for lower arm strength. I recently bought "Mastery of hand strength" and have begun a beginner routine. Right now I'm doing

block weight tosses (5 sets or so)

Lever work (turns, front and overhead raises)

COC gripper closes (5 sets or so with the #1)

Because of their importance and usefullness in MMA I'll be doing Lever work and Block weight work and Lever exercises before COC (least pertinant to my goals). Also, because my crushing grip work is, right now, low priority and really more of a finisher, I'm going to let my right hand be limited to what my left hand can do. with that in mind please don't laugh at how weak what I once thought was a good grip actually is :D.

Today

Blockweight tosses

5 x 12 (6 tosses and catches each side) @ 35 lbs. This is with an improvised block weight with 3 10's and a 5 pinned together. the outside plates are both 10's.

Levering -

Front Raises - 3 x 5 each side @ 2.5 lbs

Overhead raises - 3 x 10 each side @ 2.5 lbs

Doornob style Turns - 3 x 3 each side @ 2.5 lbs

eh, I'm kinda lazy and didn't change the weight from exercise to exercise, and I should have for the overhead raises. My lever is a piece of galvanized pipe with a plate 31" from the end of the handle, and I hold it as low as I can.

COC closes

5 x 5 for each hand @ #1

These went well enough, most of the time after exercises I can't get all the closes I want, but this went well.

Any suggestions and critique is welcomed.

Edited by urbandruid

I am interested in the MMA training, I want to do that stuff when I get older. Also my American History teacher is an MMA fighter as well. His name is Chris Wells.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday, May 28

Blockweight tosses

5 x 20 (10 tosses and catches each side) @ 35 lbs. dropped it a couple of times but I'm feeing better with it. This is with an improvised block weight with 3 10's and a 5 pinned together. the outside plates are both 10's.

Levering -

Front Raises - 10 x 2 each side @ 2.5 lbs

Overhead raises - 8 x 3 each side @ 5 lbs

Doornob style Turns - 5 x 2 each side @ 2.5 lbs

Gonna try using density training to add some reps so I can add more weight. Whenever I can do 10 reps of a levering exercise at a weight I'll see if I can't add some more weight. Lacking micro weights, the smalles increments I can move up in are 2.5 lbs at a time.

COC closes

5 x 5 for each hand @ #1

Still trouble with these after all my other grip work, but they're just there to round out my grip, and they're the least important.