Nyb Grip Machine - On Sale!

Sybersnott

Snott man, cut your losses.

This whole situation reminds me of the saying, When life hands you lemons, make lemonade

This grip machine is kinda like that. It'll work, but I'm gonna haffta put some more time (and money) into making it work. But hey, at least I'm not throwing in the towel on this one! :D

So go ahead and bonk me with that fish again! :trout

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade

Actually your situation with that machine reminds me of another saying:

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh#@.

Since you already own a G-Rex and a secret weapon, whats the point? You won't make it better than either of those two. Just my $.02 but if you are going to spend time and money, it might as well be for something that you can get something out of.

I guess I should've waited until you had it put together, Snott. I didn't realize that you hadn't assembled it when you made the 45lb plate comment. I just called and tried to cancel my order. They've already charged my CC, but the email said it wouldn't ship until this Wed. Wish me luck.

I don't want any lemons or chicken sh#@ and you guys have so eloquently put it...

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh#@.

You can put your shoes in the oven, but that don't

make 'em biscuits.

:)

T

I measured the inside of the carriage - it measures in at 17 1/2". I can put a 45 pound plate inside it but cannot get it down onto the spindle!  When I first looked at it, I said it would hold 45 pound plates.

Can you take a few mms off the inside part of the carriage with like a grinder or something? I mean, how much more space do you need for the 45's?

Well Snott, I think you got a Lemon. I just finished putting mine together and all is good. Nothing is bent and the feet are plenty big. I did WD-40 the guide rods after assembly to make it a little smoother, though. Sure the springs seem a little cheap, the feet can rotate, and it's not exactly Sorinex, IM, or PDA quality, but it was $65 with shipping, not hundreds of dollars. Since I workout at a gym, the biggest Oly plates I own are 25s, but I'm sure 35s and possibly "some" 45s would work. It looks like a 9" spindle, so that should hold 5 35s (175lbs) easy.

My only real complaint is the handle sizes. Having ~7.75" hands, the 1.25" handles are a little thick, which limits the range of motion some. Obviously I won't be using this to work the close.

As for the ~150lb capacity, I'd be damned suprised if I ever need more than that. Without cheating (deadlifting the bar), the most weight I could use was around 45lbs with one hand. My dyno readings are usually between 150-160lbs, so take from that what you will. For holds, negatives, and some of the insanely strong guys on this board, that may not be enough.

Personally, I'm pleased with my purchase and would definitely recommend this machine (at this price) to anyone looking for a good deal on a decent machine, and especially if you've got big hands.

It seems to me that if one were to sit on a bar stool while using this machine, cheating would be eliminated. The stool would have to be the right height. But hey, if you guys are talking about modifying the machine, cutting the legs on a cheap bar stool so it's the right height should be no big deal.

In fact, I was sitting on a stool, well actually it was my 5 gallon sand bucket with 99 cent lid :)

Edited by ianders1

My only real complaint is the handle sizes. Having ~7.75" hands, the 1.25" handles are a little thick, which limits the range of motion some. Obviously I won't be using this to work the close.

..., and especially if you've got big hands.

The saga continues....

I've made a decision. I'm chucking the carriage and I'm going to build a new one.

I can't stand the fact that this thing won't hold 45 pound plates! :angry: That's one of the reasons I bought it. So, I'm going to build a carriage that WILL hold the big 45's.

Another big reason: those handles are just too big. So for the new carriage, it will be the same sized handles like I have on my old NYB machine.

Oh, I'm gonna make this work!! Oh yeah... I'm on a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE now, 'cept now I'm determined I'm going to finish this stinkin' mission!!! :ohmy:yikes

Good luck, Snott. Post some pics when FrankenGrip is done :) I'm just going to take my machine for what it is and enjoy it. Maybe someday I'll buy your used G-Rex off of you ;)