Nyb Grip Machine - On Sale!

Sybersnott

If you've ever wanted a good basic grip machine CHEAP, here's your chance! :D

The NYB Grip Machine is on sale... they are closing out this item; this is the Oly plate version and with the cost of the machine plus the shipping, it's cheaper now than when they were selling it at regular price with free freight!! :)

NYB GRIP MACHINE OLY PLATE VERSION

But it only holds 150lbs - no where near enough

True... but if you have a welding buddy, you can remove the loading

pin and put a longer one in. Probably be able to tack weld short

loading pins to the outside of the frame for additional plates...

There are ways to beef this little puny boy up :) ... Need a welding

buddy who wont gig you though

:) Maybe so for your Monsters of Mash but for a newbie this would be very nice especially if they use one hand at a time. I think people who come in here should look at this grip training {not just for the elite} but for the benefit of all who are interested. I feel there are different levels and probably most in here are beyond most regular folks but still it should be for all who wish to improve. Looks like a nice machine to me although I have the "regular plate" one already I have no use for the Olympic one. Some beginner might enjoy and benefit from it though; I say if it looks good to ya..." GET IT WHILE YOU CAN" :rock

Steve... if your like me, you could probably EAT 150 pounds on this thing for lunch.

When I wrote this post, I should of said something about the weight max on the NYB but didn't. That's because I feel this machine is great for a grip beginner, and IMHO 150 pounds is just fine on it. I can shoehorn another 25 pound plate on mine (making it 175 pounds) and do negatives and reps with it. :happy

For the price it can't be beat. It's cheaper now even with the ship charge than when it was at full price with free freight. Anyhow, it's your decision. :D

As I've said before,Mine holds 6 45lbs plates... Easy.

The thing with a half decent grip machine (and 270 or 6 x 45 isn't that bad) is that unloaded a newbie should be able to use it and loaded a Grip monster ought to be able to feel the strain. At the NEC/Seni in Birmingham I was with Satn Pike on his Intense Fitness stand when we were approached by another stand owner looking for distributors for a £39.95 grip machine he had. It was tiny and could only hold 25 kilos / 55 pounds max!! No kidding. Behind us was an image of a machine Stan had built for himself which would hold, at a guess, 200 kilos? That's more like it.

Grip machines are a very simple design and not that expensive to make. I like the look - bright steel - of the one Syber put up, but give me some more pins will ya! In the mean time I'll say that the beast put out by Sorinex is expensive for what it is but will hold plenty of weight - enough for 99% of this board no matter what level their at.

How high is the loading pin on the NYB machine?

Looks from the picture like it would hold at least 2-100 pound plates...

Or is it a machine weakness? Meaning the machine itself wont support much more then 150 pounds?

Rick Walker :rock

Its only wide enough for 25ers. thats why it can hold only 150...

Rob V just posted ( a few replies up) that he can get 6-45s on his.....

I would guess the weight plate carriage must measure 18 inches

inside to inside to be able to mount 45s. My York 45s have a

17 9/16 inch diameter so that would make a real tight fit in this

carriage, if it was to measure 18+ inches

Its only wide enough for 25ers. thats why it can hold only 150...

Rob V just posted ( a few replies up) that he can get 6-45s on his.....

I would guess the weight plate carriage must measure 18 inches

inside to inside to be able to mount 45s. My York 45s have a

17 9/16 inch diameter so that would make a real tight fit in this

carriage, if it were to measure 18+ inches

Also, he may be referring the model that holds Standard plates. This is the Olympic plate model, which looks like it will only hold 25lb and smaller plates.

Also, he may be referring the model that holds Standard plates. This is the Olympic plate model, which looks like it will only hold 25lb and smaller plates.

That well may be too....

The given dimensions are 21x 16 x 23H......

lets assume the 16 is the length of the base. The 21 is the outside

to outside width of the weight carriage. Guessing at the width of the

tube being 1 inch or even 1 1/4 inch wide, you would have an inside to

inside measure of 181/2 to 19 inches... room for olympic 45s

Once you load up the loading pin with weights, you can also put some dumbbells on top of the stack or affix some bands to the weights for some more dynamic resistance.

Snott, Clay, etc. - is there any correlation to weights on these machines and dyno pulls? I.e. if you pull 150lbs on the dyno, is that with 10-15lbs of your 1RM on one these machines? I had decided to get the Tetting version, but looking at the price here, I'm tempted to get this, instead. I pull about 160 on the dyno, so I'm wondering if I'd max this machine out in a few weeks/months/already; modifying and adding bands and dumbbells notwithstanding.

Snott, Clay, etc. - is there any correlation to weights on these machines and dyno pulls? I.e. if you pull 150lbs on the dyno, is that with 10-15lbs of your 1RM on one these machines? I had decided to get the Tetting version, but looking at the price here, I'm tempted to get this, instead. I pull about 160 on the dyno, so I'm wondering if I'd max this machine out in a few weeks/months/already; modifying and adding bands and dumbbells notwithstanding.

Regardless of what kind of weight plates it will hold... I have decided to modify this machine when I get it (yes, I ordered it). That means this grip machine will be my personal FRANKENSTEIN!!! :blink:D

I will take pics of it (before AND after) and post my results here. I think for 40 bucks ya can't beat it. :tongue

I got it this morning. How's that for speed?... ordered on Sunday, got it Wednesday morning. ;)

O.K., I pulled it out and immediately noticed that this thing is BIGGER than the one I bought a few years ago! This one can hold a bunch of 45 pound Oly plates!! The grip bars are bigger too... 1 1/4" handles I think. Guys with larger than normal hands would like this machine. I read the literature that came with it; it doesn't say what size the grip bars are, but I'm thinking that they are 1 1/4".

But am I happy about this??... NO! Heh heh, I'm going to modify it to hold more plates. Once my monster is completed, I'll give it a test run and take some pics.

O.K., I pulled it out and immediately noticed that this thing is BIGGER than the one I bought a few years ago! This one can hold a bunch of 45 pound Oly plates!!

Thats what i've been saying for a year :tongue I also don't think you'll need more than it will hold unless you're going to do SHRUGS with it.

Another thing-

I have used machines like this before, and you can stand on top of the plates. Lots of resistance there.

All right Snott & Co., I hope you guys are right about this machine being cool - I've got one on the way :) I figured that at $65 (w/shipping) it was cheaper than ordering 3 or 4 grippers, and since my goal isn't necessarily to close the X gripper, just to build my crush, this seems like a good tool to do that with. I'll let you guys know what I think of it next week...

Edited by ianders1

I'm finding things out about this machine that I THOUGHT looked good, however....

I measured the inside of the carriage - it measures in at 17 1/2". I can put a 45 pound plate inside it but cannot get it down onto the spindle! :angry: When I first looked at it, I said it would hold 45 pound plates. That was stupid of me to say that. What I should of done was to actually put a 45# plate in it first, then post my findings and I didn't do that.

I am assembling the machine tomorrow and I'll post my findings on that here tomorrow.

But it will hold 35's correct?

Yes Dave, it will.

O.K., I assembled the machine today and I'm finding more problems with it. :(

The biggest problem is that the only thing that's welded together are the support plates to the guide rods. Everything else you haffta bolt on.

But when you do that and start using the machine, there is a lot of shifting with the base legs. I'm thinking that if the base was completely solid and didn't shift around, a lot of problems would be solved.

Another problem is that since the guide rods aren't exactly straight and the carriage is an exact fit with the guide rods, there will be a lot of rubbing on one or both sides of the guide rods to the carriage itself. This can't be helped and the only solution is to let the carriage go through a break-in period and this will go away in time.

I measured the inside distance between the two base legs once I had the thing assembled and the measurement came out to 17 1/4". So I'm thinking about getting two steel square tube pieces and having them welded into place on the bottom of the base legs. Another problem is that I think the base legs themselves are too short for this machine. They should be at least as long as the old NYB machine that takes the standard plates.

I'm gonna make this sucker work eventually. So just bonk me with a fish for now... :trout