Adam Black Certification

Bill Piche

I could apease folks on the Internet with some video.

Capturing it on video is part of the new standard and the rules. It has nothing to do with appeasing folks on the Internet. Frankly, I think capturing a still picture is more difficult. With video, if one just touches it for an instant, you can see it and get it captured (maybe even better than the human eye with frame by frame) with a still much easier than if you tried to capture it with a camera.
This worked well for my first two attempts. But like I said, with the third attempt I had no concentration to spare.

I can see how it would have happened based on this.

Capturing it on video is part of the new standard and the rules. It has nothing to do with appeasing folks on the Internet.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with the rules at all. I've already stated that per the rules I wouldn't pass the video either. You asked why the video was not spot on and I told you why. Not an excuse, not whining, simply stating fact to answer your question.

Lets not make this into something it's not please.

Congrats on closing it Adam!

Way to go on the close Adam! Even if it doesn't count this time it will only be a matter of time.

Congrats on the close, Adam.

Even if the cert doesn't pass this time you've shown the spirit :rock.

I can see Adam's point of view.

For someone with the crushing strength of Heath, Robby V., or Dave, up until now the MM grippers have been warm ups for them. It is much, much easier to get a great video shot when you are capable of destroying a gripper with no warmup, and able to mash it closed for a period of time. Just another day at the office...

However, when the gripper is at or near your limit, like it certainly was for me, it becomes harder to shoot a quality film. It becomes more of a "I just want to close this damn thing" and less of a "I need quality video footage".

I experimented with a tripod. With the easy grippers- #T-#3, I was able to get excellent footage of the set and the close. No problems. Then came my filed #3, which right now is extremely hard since I havent touched a gripper in months. I set it and closed it with much struggle. I then went to the tape. I was moving around so much and worrying about closing it and not about the video. I was completely out of the frame! And, when I brought the gripper, which was closed at a point, back into the frame, it had opened up a little.

Moral: take the neccesary time to strengthen your hands to where you are confident both physically and mentally that you will destroy it. Use other grippers as stepping stones. This is the main reason I have not went for the MM2. Once I get where I want to be (RB 300) and I am killing it, I will sign up.

Good luck!

Rick Walker :rock

I experimented with a tripod. With the easy grippers- #T-#3, I was able to get excellent footage of the set and the close. No problems. Then came my filed #3, which right now is extremely hard since I havent touched a gripper in months. I set it and closed it with much struggle. I then went to the tape. I was moving around so much and worrying about closing it and not about the video. I was completely out of the frame! And, when I brought the gripper, which was closed at a point, back into the frame, it had opened up a little.

This is an important statement. ( Rick Ws that is)

I say if your vids are not comparable to the clarity of the ones

presented by Heath, Clay, Rob and Dave M. Then do not submit

them for cert verification. Domination of the gripper is clearly

the answer for good vids.

After review by the judges, it does not pass.

It's now becoming more clear and Rick W points this out.

Video is actually causing us a problem for those on the border of strength. It allows us to stop frame it, etc. When I closed a 3, I had to make sure I could close it multiple times for 4-5 seconds.

I will clarify in the rules on video because we have to be able to at least capture a clear closeup picture that clearly shows the handles together. No diff than the IM picture rule.

Thanks to Adam for being such a good sport. I believe he'll close it with more domination soon so a clear still of the handles together can be taken/captured.

congrats adam

the video will come in time.

I now know where my strength needs to be at to dominate the MM1. Until you actually attempt it, it's an unknown. I think a good rule of thumb is if you can do a strong double with your #3, you should be able to close the MM1 with authority.

I seek out the advice of those who have come before me. That seems to help. With the MM1, a few guys that had touched it let me in on where I needed to be to get it. Once I was at that point, I knew it was time to sign up.

Based on what I have seen Jedd do, and the fact that he is now a MM2...I know exactly where I need to be to close it.

Rick Walker :rock

The really neat thing IMO is that the former issue of "gripper variability" is now gone since going with cert grippers. :)

Thanks to all the members who contributed to not only the rules and inputs to the process, but to the guys who are trying to get on the ladder, the witnesses, judges, etc. :rock