Platform Or Thick Mats

aeroman

I will be getting some bumper plates in the not too distant future and was wondering, for the olympic lifts, if I absolutely need a platform or will some 3/4" rubber mats suffice for safe dropping. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Karl

I can't speak on bumper plates, but when doing Inch lifts of blob lifts, I almost always do them under 2 of those interlocking rubber mats you can get from Walmart or any automotive place like Autozone. Dropping a 173lb dumbbell from 3' in the air onto two mats just makes a dull thud instead of a crack!

Where are you going to be dropping them?

Garage floors have thicker cement in them so you could get away with a little less padding than a basement floor.

What kind of bumpers are you getting?

Solid rubber bumpers like RB, Kraiburg or Jesup Gym {should} be fine even in a basement though if you get up to a lot of weight it would be best with a layer of wood too. If you've got solid bumpers like Eleico or the kind with just the rubber strip on the bottom of them you'll need a platform in the basement and it might be a good idea in the garage too if you're going to get up in the 300's+ range C&J...

Platforms are easy to make though and there's tons of instructions on line. http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/platform.doc

There's some other kinds on the power and bulk too.

The really easy way is just to get 4 pieces of plywood, 2 of em 8x3' 2 of em are 6x4' and you lay the 8x3s horizontally the 6x4s vertically on top screw em together and put your rubber mat on top. Hopefully my math is right and you get two layers of wood that's 8' wide and 6' deep and a rubber mat on top.

My recommendation, even if you're lazy at least lay down a layer of wood to be safe...

Edited by AP

Thanks,

I won't be lifting much over 200 in the clean for a while. I will have the solid rubber bumpers and will be in the garage. If wood works then that will be what I use. Thanks for the advice.

Karl