Plate Pinching V. Blob

FSTYLE

Iam new here. It seems all the vetrans here go with chalk. So starting tomorrow I will go with the chalk.

Hey if the chalk allows you to progress to using heavier weight, then

your strength in that hand increases faster.... Anyway, your hand does not

know it has chalk on it, but it does know when it has a heavier weight in

it`s grasp... understand that? :)

Hey if the chalk allows you to progress to using heavier weight, then your strength in that hand increases faster.... Anyway, your hand does not know it has chalk on it, but it does know when it has a heavier weight in it`s grasp... understand that?

In other words, using chalk is NOT considered cheating.

I use chalk when I do plate pinching... nothing wrong with that.

Ever tried pinching two 10s with cooking oil on your hands? Sure, sweat, oil, whatever will make the lift more difficult as more pressure must be applied to hold the same amount of weight. If you're pinching at your max, whether it be pinching two 10s with cooking oil on your hands or three 45s with tacky on your hands, if they're both truly your max then your hands are applying the same amount of pressure (I'm ignoring the width factor though). I'd rather pinch 10 pounds on an ultra-slippery surface than 100 pounds on a super-porous surface. The 10 pounds is much less taxing on the rest of my body, while still giving my hand the same workout it would receive from the porous 100 pounds. Your hand doesn't know whether it's picking up 10 or 100 pounds- it only knows how much pressure it has to apply to lift the implement off the ground. But cooking oil is messy...

One of the best reasons to use chalk when lifting, especially when doing hand specific work like grip, is that it provides consistency on all your attempts. For example, if you normally do pinch work when your hands are sweaty can you be sure that there is the same amount of sweat on your hand from attempt to attempt and workout to workout? I think that the answer is 'no'. Chalk provides a consistent, reliable dryness that more easily allows one to measure progress.

BC.

One of the best reasons to use chalk when lifting, especially when doing hand specific work like grip, is that it provides consistency on all your attempts. Chalk provides a consistent, reliable dryness that more easily allows one to measure progress.

BC.

Great post, I've always been a fan of chalk but I never thought about the consistency factor. You're absolutely right.

:blush I pinch a 50lbs plate is that as good as 2-25's? Anyway not competing with anyone this is all for my own personal development. A question for those who know. How long does one hold on to it for it to be considered a good pinch/lift?

:blush  I pinch a 50lbs plate is that as good as 2-25's? Anyway not competing with anyone this is all for my own personal development.  A question for those who know. How long does one hold on to it for it to be considered a good pinch/lift?

It depends on the thickness of the plates. You may find initially that you

are stronger at a wide pinch but less effective on a narrow pinch or

just the opposite.

The key is identifying your weak zones and bringing them up.

T

Edited by tspinillo

It's harder to pinch plates while someone is kicking you in the balls, but it doesn't mean it is any better.

Seriously, I don't think Rick is being a hard ass. I think some of the "but I do it sweaty" attitude here is a little weird. Chalk use has been a consistent given in the iron game long before many of us were born.

It's harder to pinch plates while someone is kicking you in the balls, but it doesn't mean it is any better.

There's a joke here..... ah, but I'm not gonna go there!! :rolleyes