Plate Pinching V. Blob

FSTYLE

The biggest difference is the width. Also the head of York dumbells are flaring outwards which makes it difficult to hold on.

BTW.. if you don't own any hex blob or york blobs, plate pinching will work fine.

I started plate pinching. But getting my hands over 2-25lb plates is difficult.

What type of workouts do you recommend with plate pinching?

no excuses: my wife with 7 inch hands 2-25s

Get it done

Rick Walker :rock

measured my hands accurately and they're slightly smaller than 7 inches - which is wierd i think cause i'm about 5 foot 9. about 1/8th shy of 7 inches.

anyhow i managed to pull 2 25's. i know this isn't a huge grip feat but the sweet thing is, some dudes in my gym, much bigger hands than mine, saw me do it and JUST had to give it a go. couldn't break it off the floor.

just work hard and your efforts will pay off :rock

stay strong!! :rock

What type of workouts do you recommend with plate pinching?

you can also start pinching 10 lbs plates together.

Since this is plate pinch vs. blobs, what's more difficult, 6 10s or the blob? Or is 5 10s more difficult than a blob?

To me, 6-10's is harder 5-10's is easier. 3-25's is very cose to the blob, but to me feels just a little tougher.

Since this is plate pinch vs. blobs, what's more difficult, 6 10s or the blob?  Or is 5 10s more difficult than a blob?

I have to agree with Heath! 5 10s is definitely easier than a blob! :)

no excuses: my wife with 7 inch hands 2-25s

Get it done

OK Rick that was a kick in the head. Your right. But your wifes hands a re full of chalk. I do pinching after my workout with sweaty hands no chalk. Thats the real test.

But your wifes hands a re full of chalk. I do pinching after my workout with sweaty hands no chalk. Thats the real test.

Lifting without chalk is no more noble than lifting with it. No extra points for making it harder on yourself than necessary.

Try using chalk, and heavier weight...instead of trying to hang on to sweaty plates. I have no idea what I could do with sweaty hands at the end of the workout. That limits one's ability to do the work.

But your wifes hands a re full of chalk. I do pinching after my workout with sweaty hands no chalk. Thats the real test.

Real test of what? I can pinch 3-25s and 2-35s with no chalk with ease. Chalk is a lifting aid much like a belt, and is accepted and allowed in all lifting competitions.

I hate to tell you, but you can have all the chalk in the world, if you dont have the strength, you aint gonna lift the weight. Period.

well rick i wouldn't say you pick up 3 25s with ease cause i saw your video. you had chalk on your hands and after a few seconds, the 3 25s flared and hit the floor. but maybe you have gotten much stronger since then... but really, why cant you be nice to these guys? what's with this ultimate hard-ass attitude? :dry

it is a lot harder to pinch stuff without chalk. period. i don't wanna hear this crapo that it's the same with or without chalk. when i try to pick up my 2 25s, i can usually pick them up without chalk, but on occasion, when my hands are really sweaty and tired, it feels like its covered in slippery grease, but with chalk, it feels like good ole 2 25s and they shoot right up.

MEAT

well rick i wouldn't say you pick up 3 25s with ease cause i saw your video. you had chalk on your hands and after a few seconds, the 3 25s flared and hit the floor. but maybe you have gotten much stronger since then... but really, why cant you be nice to these guys? what's with this ultimate hard-ass attitude? 

it is a lot harder to pinch stuff without chalk. period. i don't wanna hear this crapo that it's the same with or without chalk. when i try to pick up my 2 25s, i can usually pick them up without chalk, but on occasion, when my hands are really sweaty and tired, it feels like its covered in slippery grease, but with chalk, it feels like good ole 2 25s and they shoot right up.

How was I not being nice? He commented that my wife picked them up because she had chalk. I replied. Relax there solidier.

And just so you know-I have gotten much stronger since then ;)

Sure it is harder. But is it neccesary? We arent if it is harder or not. The real question is-does it matter how much you use if you dont have the strength? Just cause you coat you hands in chalk you arent going to magically gain 20 pounds on your pinch.

I prefer chalk, than slippery hands. With my luck I can't afford to

have the plates fly out and amputate a toe. ;)

Chalk or no chalk, if you don't have the ammo you can't shoot

the guns.

Rick's wife's lift is incredible. Does she do any blobs?

T!

I hate to tell you, but you can have all the chalk in the world, if you dont have the strength, you aint gonna lift the weight. Period.

Chalk DOES make a difference... especially if it comes to pinching slippery plates.

I was trying to pinch up some 35's and it just didn't go. I couldn't understand why then I decided to put some chalk on - those plates came up easy after that.

Chalk helps no doubt. Not because I'm agreeing with anyone but because I recently stopped using it. Some guys train totally raw. Some guys wear a belt. Some guys wear a whole bunch of shit I don't feel like listing. You just can't compare the raw guy and the guy who wears everything he can get his hands on. If you want too use motor oil or super glue to train it's fine. Just don't try and compare the two.

3-25's!!! Rick you must have huge hands. I can barely get my hands around 2-25s.

With chalk I can get the 2-25's. Raw I cannot.

How do you guys improve this. Just pinching and holding for time?

3-25's!!! Rick you must have huge hands. I can barely get my hands around 2-25s.

With chalk I can get the 2-25's. Raw I cannot.

How do you guys improve this. Just pinching and holding for time?

Rick does not have huge hands. As I recall they are actually smaller than average.

I find it interesting now that we are talking about chalk like it is a bench shirt or something.

Let's not get extreme. The only time I care to not use chalk on grip feats is when I don't happen to have any. I think it helps a lot, but all it is doing is drying your hands. You might as well say that it is not raw lifting if you wash your hands several times with soap first. Chalk is very accepted in all competitions.

You might as well say that it is not raw lifting if you wash your hands several times with soap first.

Iam not sure I understand this.

With sweaty hands you have to squeeze harder.

With sweaty hands, a hard squeeze means a slip. Honestly would you ever attempt 6 tens if your hands were sweaty? (Not to say I can but I know how easy a slip is.) Holding onto a bar of soap in the shower is not a feat of grip strength. I have no problems with chalkless training, but I think chalk should be allowed for any competitive/certifiable feast of grip strength if it would help.

Plate pinching is probebly the biggest grip exercise that chalk is needed on. When i have chalk on i can pass 2 25s all day, but when my hands are sweaty you can forget about it.

There are 2 good reasons to use chalk:

1) EGO, it feels good to lift your actual max on grip events

2) CONSISTANCY, if you don't use chalk it will be hard to see your progress becuase some days your hands may be alittle sweaty and other days they will be somewhat dry.