Short Nail Bending.

FbaLLPlaya_53

raziel - yes the long green boxes sometimes (in laurel often) have the wrong nails in them so make sure you open them up and look in before you buy. Actually I went last week and every box of timber ties there (only had a couple) had 60D polebarns in it and not timber ties. I could only find 2 actual timber ties- one was on the floor and the other was in the open box of galvanized 60D's. I tried asking someone who worked there about the situation:

Me: Excuse me i'm looking for 6" spiral timber ties i see the boxes but they are mislabeled.

Lowes Employee: is this it? <hands me a box of 3/8 thick 8" long spikes>

Me: no those are the 8 inch ones, i'm looking for 6

Lowes Employee: is this it? <hands me a box of 3/8 thick 10" long spikes>

Me: no those are even longer, I'm looking for the 6 inch spiral nails.

Lowes Employee: is this it? <hands me the original box of 3/8 thick 8" long spikes he handed to me a second ago>

Me: :help

On the positive side he looked up in the computer and the Lowes in Bowie MD off Rt 3 supposedly has 23 boxes of timber ties in stock.

jeff - thanks for the description of the spike bend, i assume you have to use 2 pads for bending given the length of the spike and the form you describe?

PS - I havent forgotten about that 1950 S&H UMD weightlifting article, i'm just having some trouble getting access to a scanner.

matt,

i went with two towels.

jim,

yeah...you should check the long green boxes before you buy them

meat loaf,

d'you just want a couple spiral nails? if you're just looking for a half dozen, i'll mail some out to you...if you want more, you might do well to order some closer since shipping could get pricey. but yeah, if you're just looking for a few, i'll send out a couple of my easier ones and a couple of the tougher ones (still a lot easier than any 60d i've found...i nice stiff start to the bend though)

mossman,

you want some of the regular 100d spikes? these i have to buy by the piece. i can't remember the exact price, but i think they're around 50 cents per spike. be forewarned...they're easy by 100d standards, but MUCH harder than any 12"x3/8" piece of hrs i've ever tried. they're far harder than the spiral spikes. i don't know how good you are with spikes, but the 12"x3/8" hrs is probably a good reference point for comparison.

to the md guys,

forgot there were a couple if us in the area...at some point over the summer, maybe we should try to get together to do some grip/other strength stuff. i know my lifting partner as well as a couple other guys in the area would be game for it if the date's good.

-jeff

Hey Jeff,

I'm going to be in College Park for the summer. Send me a PM when you're free, and vice versa. This goes out to all the guys around the College Park area this summer.

Btw, the HHP gym is closed for the summer.

I swore off bending under 5.5, but tried a 4" this last week and am now recovering from my first puncture wound... :blush I swear I won't do it again. Really. For real this time.

i guess i will take oh say ten spikes.....50 cents you said? thats great....... i would love to have them.. oh, while im here do you have any G5's or G8's? i cant find them anywhere near me....well anything over 4 inches that is, and i doubt anyone could bend that.

AP,

my name IS Meatloaf. Dan is my nickname.

Bender,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAA i'm not laughing at you, it just seems like such a GUY thing to do and something that i would do too! hehe sorry about your hand, but it did give me a laugh!

Young'un,

A couple timber ties would suffice, my friend. I'm really curious how they feel! Thanks, man!

Jim Smith,

wait a minute...who is Jim Smith?

MEAT

jim,

sounds good.

mossman,

i can get a hold of g8's in any size (1/4"x6", 5/16"x6, you name it), but the 1/4"x6" bolts are 1.10 a piece and they only get more expensive so i don't bend them much. send me your address, and i'll get those spikes out to you as soon as i can.

meat loaf,

i'll try and get the tt's out as soon as i can!

-jeff

damn at that price i dont think i want to see any grade 8's.....thanks for helping me with the other spikes. my contact info is:

Tim Moss

231 Churchill Rd.

Oswego,NY 13126

the only reason i wanted a grade 8 is that a teacher of mine i just got started on bending is trying to tell me he will fold a grade 8 easy, but he hasn't even downed a 60 yet.....hee heee hee..... so i owe you 5 bucks for the spikes?

mANVIL -i had almost the exact same thing happen to me when i first went looking for TT's. :D