Short Nail Bending.

FbaLLPlaya_53

Do any of you guys bend short nails (4" or less) in your workout? I've been struggling with a 3" 10d bright for awile now, but today I was really determined to do it and finally got it. If I were to rate diffculty I would say its between a yellow and blue. Heres a picture of it; http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&cmd=si&img=369

I recall a post mentioning some guy winning the bending part of a grip contest with a 4" Ironmind blue. After hearing that amazing testament, I include them, if I can ever work up to them...

I recall a post mentioning some guy winning the bending part of a grip contest with a 4" Ironmind blue.

That was Rob Vigeant! :rock

I think it's good to do some short bending... makes 6" bars look long :)

I've got some 1/4" steel that's not very strong, so I did a run of bends the other day cutting it 1/2" shorter each time... got stumped by 4" (I think... could have been 4.5"?) ... anyway... I bent a blue the next day, and it felt longer than usual and much easier :D

I've bent a 16d common which was 3 1/2" inches in length.

It almost killed me to do it.

Hardest thing i've ever bent.

I now stay away from anything under 5 inches.

Great job on that 10d though :rock

I used to bend 3.5" 16d finishing nails. Finishing nails are much easier than regular 3.5" 16d nails. I bent upto 3 at once be for I dropped it from my workouts (This is only about as hard as a blue, maybe easier). I liked it because I had to use different technique than the three most popular techniques. I'm sure I will revisit the short bends sometime but don't see it being a significant part of my routine aqain. As mentioned above, I also like how it makes a 6" bend feel very long.

I bend 2 40d nails today and kinked a 60d. The 40d although thinner, were hard as hell because they were only 5" long and the 60d was 6" long. The 5" nail hurt like hell on my hands. I thought that ironmind said that a true test of a strongman is the ability to bend a 60d nail. Is this true or can most of you strong a-holes :yikes demolish them?

MEAT

BTW im gonna bend that F er if it kills me tonight!!!

Edited by Meat Loaf

• 3 weeks later...

what kind of technique do you have to use on these? i did a couple 40's and damn they were hard......much harder than say, a timber tie.

Anything below 5" seems pointless to me. Also short nasil bending is just frustrating and isn't as fun as bending something 7" that is thicker.

Agree. Time is probably better spent on 5-7'' nails for building wrist strength.

Go buy you a box if 10d nails 5 pounds. Sit down put on your favorite movie or song. Bend them all. Go to the store a few days later and buy 12d nails 5# box. Bend them all. Do this over and over with nails a little bigger than the last. Ever now and then cut some nails that you mastered down about a half an inch. When you are doing a 60 cut to 5 inches your doing great. Time to move to bolts and some beastly thing. You must build a base or you will just end up hurting yourself on big stuff to soon. If you are going to be great bender you have to put in the homework. 1000s of bends are needed to reach a great base.

i wooped that hard 60D's shiny ass today. i am very proud of myself. la-dee-frickin-daa :yikes

MEAT

i tried a second one later in the day but it wooped MY ass!!! :cry

i will conquer. The time to strike is NOW. KILL!!! :angry:

the blood of a 60D will run through my hands and drip onto the floor as it dies SCREAMING :flame

hehe. KILL!!!!! :angry:

Edited by Meat Loaf

I used a reply from the great bender Tom Black, when he told me that he felt a 4.5 inch blue or so was asking for trouble. I worked up to a 1/16" under 5" blue, and never looked back!

Just tried some short bending with some lengths I broke. I found the under hand style to be most effective, even though I don't bend underhanded. Quite intereseting, maybe it will work for you guys. I think it has to do with the limited amount of hand and finger contact on the bar and that the underhand style can exert the most pressure on the limited amount of space.

just a pic of a short bend...the spike and 60d's are just included for comparison...the bolt is 3.5"x1/4" grade 2, almost fully threaded. it was hard to get a grip on...tougher to bend than a 16d common bright nail, but not as tough as 4"x1/4" hrs from home depot.

jeff

young un, did YOU bend that big ass spike? That's an 8" by 3/8", right? I tried to bend one and it didn't budge. It seems horrible. MAybe your spike isn't the same kind of spike i saw...

MEAT

it's a 100d spiral spike. 10" long, i think spiral 3/8" in diameter...not really sure though. yes, i bent it.

i don't bend spikes regularly, but when i try them, i do alright probably half the time. my best spike bending was a a hefty kink in a real 100d, braced over the leg. i would guess that if you encountered spiral spikes, they're probably the same variety as this one, though i guess at 8" they'd be 80d spiral spikes, not 100d's.

i'm better at short bar bending in the 5-6" range.

jeff

jeff, please tell me where to find that kind of spike. i would love to try something like that......if i cant find some, i would pay you for some. could you please help me out?

mossman,

i just bought them at a lowes in laurel, maryland. i believe they run around 15 dollars for a 5 lb box, but i'll have to check. if you can't find one at a lowes near you, i'll be more than happy to pick up a box and send it to you for price+shipping (i'd send some for free, but i don't currently have any straight ones and didn't really plan on buying more any time soon).

-jeff

edit- if you have any interesting sort of bending stuff/bending pads by ironmind/etc. that you're looking to trade, that could work too. if you're looking for spikes, i also know of an ace hardware nearby that sells relatively 'easy' galvanized 100d spikes at i believe 55 cents per spike (definitely easier than the other 100d's i've tried)

Edited by young'un

Jeff - what technique do you use to bend those large spikes? I assume you start the bend over the top knee/lower thigh to get the initial kink but where do you go from there? In your pic it looks like the ends of the spike are bent to only a couple inches.

PS the 3/8 inch spikes at the lowes in laurel, MD are 13$ for 5lbs i believe, although all their timber ties boxes had 60d polebarns in them instead of timber ties. :angry:

i stand corrected on the price! you really have to look through all the boxes to find the ones which have spiral nails and not polebarns...i encountered the same problem but fortunately checked the contents of the box before buying them. either way...before long you'll be warming up with regular 60d's and won't have to worry about spiral 60d's anymore...

to bend the spikes, i start the bend off by kinking it over my leg...after kinking it as far as possibly, i turn the spike vertically with the bend bowing outwards and bring my weight down on it while pushing up with my leg. after that, i just chest crush it. that takes it down to that close position between the ends. this is really just a variation on the form that steve m. told me about and i don't bend longer steel often, so you might do better to ask a more experienced spike bender technique questions.

best of luck!

jeff

whoa, whoa, whoa...

seeing as how that Lowe's in Laurel is where I've bought some timber ties, are you saying that those long green rectangular boxes sometimes have the wrong nails in them? Should I be checking them each time? Or are you talking about those open buckets of nails that generally seem mislabeled?

ok i will take those easy ones i guess, do those come in a 5lb box too? let me know when i need to send you stuff. as for equipment, the only really interesting thing i have is this huge anvil, but sorry sir, thats mine. thank you for your time and generousity.

moss

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could be a saint and mail me a timber tie or two. I REALLY have been trying to find some and i REALLY wanna know what they feel like to bend. Much appreciated!

Dan Harrison

33 Bluecoat

Irvine, CA 92620

MEAT