New Wrist Roller Idea

danegarreau

Ok, so everybody has been talking about wrist rollers, so i decide to do a wrist roller workout last night. It has probebly been a year since i did a wrist roller so i forgot how it felt. So i was doing it and i noticed that not only did you have to use your forearms to wrist curl the weight up, but you also had to squeeze really hard on the roller so it didn't slide down.

Ok, here is my idea.

-Load up a supported wrist roller in a power rack or whatever.

-Attach the weights via a loading pin, but sit a chair under the weights.

-Here is the kicker, load the pin up to like 300-500 pounds.

-Take a tight grip onto the roller, get a friend to take the chair out from under the weights.

-You probebly won't be able to roll it up because it is so heavy, but it will be extremly hard to stop from rolling out of your hands.

-You now try to hold the roller from rolling out of your hands for as long as possible

I have never herd or tried this, but mabey it would be a good way to work your supporting grip without having to deadlift big heavy weights.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Do u think it would work?

.... Do u think it would work?

I think it would be dangerous. There is a good chance the Wrist Roller would violently

wrench your wrist and cause injury.

But remember that the roller is supported, so the only thing it could do is spin, it may cause some burn on your hands though. But i wuldn't know, i haven't tried it.

i have seen this done some years back, very dangerous. that much weight on a static load caused him to tear several tendons.i think he had like 350-375lbs on the pin? not sure. after surgery he was not able to straighten his left arm all

the way out!!!!! i love the wrist roller. this is how i do static loads, same set up

power rack for the support and a metal bench for the weight to rest on. you will need a lifting partner for this. with a stop watch.

100lbs. for 10 sec. then 50 sec. rest

100lbs. for 20sec. then 40 sec. rest

100lbs. for 30 sec. then 30 sec. rest etc.all the way to a 60 sec. hold 10 sec. rest then back up.

give it a try and let me know how it felt? if you think the weight is to light, try it first. move up slow. train safe!

I agree with the other guy's. you are looking for more injury vs. potential strength gain. Joe Kinney used to LOAD up on his own home made wrist curler but he would only do one turn with each hand and then lower it. It was all about the WEIGHT as well, but with out the violent torque.

I think the wrenching problem comes from the fact that your arm is not above the roller, so when your wrist starts to go your arm cannot follow it. If you could stop the weight from falling, say only have the weight an inch off the platform this problem may be avoided. I suppose that wouldn't be the case if you used a thinner wrist roller though. I still doesn't garuntee your tendons can take it in the first place though.