Working Out With No Money

24-ba

:(

Alright so I don't have any money to go and buy new plates, dumbells, barbells, benches etc. but I still want to work out. I found 4 25 lbs. vinyl plates and 4 10lbs vinyl plates... the one York sells. He also had this railroad spike that is big enough to be used as a barbell and fit my 25lbs. plates on. I was woundering what type of exercises I should do and if anyone else is in the same situation...

I can do curls, one handed military presses (but it's dangerous because I have no saftey clips or whatever they are called), I don't know what they are called, but I lay on my bed with my torso over, and lift the amount of weight that I can... , then one handed bench press... but those are the only 4 that i can think of. Can anyone help? I would also like to work on my legs but the only thing that I can think of is stair raises but they're akward with one dumbell...

Plus, if anyone knows anything that is around a average home that is good to use for some type of workout, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

24'

When I started working out years ago, I started with a 110 pound iron barbell set and the Charles Atlas course. All I did with the weights was Military-presses and Barbell-curls at first. Then later, through an article in one of Bob Hoffman's old magazines, I decovered Wrist-curls. And those were my Big-Three for years. I started out with 30 pounds on the bar and I would Barbell-curl, Wrist-curl and Military-press everyday for hours. Reps and sets, reps and sets. And I always would do sets of 20's.

Every now and then I would see how many reps I could do, and when I was able to do 100 reps straight, then I would add 10 pounds and go back to doing sets of 20's until I felt like maxing again for reps - which was usually every month or so. If I only got 70, I would just keep repping and setting and I would try it again later. When I would get to 100 reps, I would move the weight up again by 10 pounds and do it all over. I did this with all three movements. I didn't know anything about over-training, I was just having fun doing my Big-Three along with sit-ups, push-ups, chin-ups, and squat-thrusts (those I learned from the Atlas course). I didn't put on much body-weight at that time because we didn't have a lot of food in my house when we were growing up, so I was just tall and lean, but I got very strong by working out like this. I trained that way for years - still do - but I have learned - as I have gotten older - about rest days.

So don't worry about not having money to buy a lot of things with. The weights you have and other excersises, can make you very strong. I have some of the strongest hands and arms of almost every one ii personally know because of the way I trained back then - and the way I train now.

Good luck to you, guy.

Sixgun

Garage sales are a great place to get weights and bars. Most people have weight junk sitting in their garage forever and will practically pay you to take it off their hands. Mow some lawns, do some dishes, then go garage sale hopping!

i agree garage sales are a good place to find equip. use your imagination and build stuff. concrete and buckets. you can make alot from just this stuff. pvc pipes and fittings can be made into alot of good pinching stuff. good luck :D

Find containers and fill them up with dirt, water, sand, flour, or stone. Buckets, bags, sacks, logs, railroad ties, busted concrete, and using hammers and axes are good cheap ways to get strong.

24'

2 words: STONES & SANDBAGS

Cheap and extremely effective for building strength. Go to an old Army-Navy store and get a military canvas like bag. The go buy 70 pound tubes of sand-might be $5 at most? or get the sand from nature. Start with 70 pounds for all the lifts, every day, throw in a handful more of sand. Slow and progressive...it will make you a beast.

Stones? Go outside and start looking for them. Find them. Dig them up if needed. Lift them. Grow.

Rick Walker :rock

Good responses from everyone. I like Ricks best. I know that had I started my training 10 years ago with sandbags and stone's. I would be a lot stronger than I am now, no question.

Good call Rick.

W

24'

2 words: STONES & SANDBAGS

Cheap and extremely effective for building strength. Go to an old Army-Navy store and get a military canvas like bag. The go buy 70 pound tubes of sand-might be $5 at most? or get the sand from nature. Start with 70 pounds for all the lifts, every day, throw in a handful more of sand. Slow and progressive...it will make you a beast.

Stones? Go outside and start looking for them. Find them. Dig them up if needed. Lift them. Grow.

Rick Walker :rock

The best advice yet.

In 30 minutes I'll be on my way to a small spot a couple minutes out of town where a bunch of rocks are waiting for me. :D I choose this over my gym membership.

Get a job at a gym. You'll have some money and get to lift for free.

I talked to someone who delivers weights & related equipment for a living, and he says it is a great workout carrying dumbells & other equipment around during deliveries & around the warehouse and store.

Carrying a friend/spouse up stairs or for distance helps also. Both piggy back, firemans carry, bearhug, and damsel in distress style. Also try chins, and rope climbing.

I worked 12 hrs. a week at Gold's as a "personal trainer" all through college and had a free membership for 4, well make that 5 yrs. Great way to do it.

As well:

Dips between chairs, a cheapo pullup bar for the doorframe, shoulder pushups against the wall, (incline) pushups with your feet on the couch, chair, bed, etc, reverse dips between chair/couch, sissy squats, pushing a loaded wheelbarrow, chopping wood, rowing a boat, strapping a loaded sled or log, etc. to your waist and pulling it, tug of war with a friend, and so much more that I can't think of right now...

Just look around you, there are many, many things you can do. Also, I second the rocks and sandbags idea as well if you're looking to build strength & power. Good luck.

www.superstrengthbooks.com

"How to Make Your Own Barbells & Dumbells"

Only $10, $4 S&H

That and a trip to Lowes afterwards should get you started.

Hey thanks guys! All see what kind of rocks I can get. There's has to be alot.. I live near the Canadian Shield!

I'll see what I can do with those concrete blocks in the backyard ;)