Starting The Kta Program And Defining Goals

BJones

Finally ordered the KTA program last night and started on it last night.

I am close to the #3 with a set but have decided to readjust my goals to a no-set with the #2 to give myself time to adjust to the volume of the program.

Since this is my first gripper program I think this is the best way to go - as Rick said in the intro - "I need to have mastery over the #2 " so my overcrushes will be what they need to be when I go for the #3.

The hard decision is backing off of the bending - which I really enjoy - Maybe I'll sneak in an easy bending session once or twice a week. :rolleyes

I did have a pinch grip PB today - I managed 5 reps each hand with 2-25# plates.

First time I managed to pinch two 25#plates much less for reps!

That block weight training must be paying off.

Quick question - will some lever work with a sledge fit into the program?

My BBGM and BBElite should be in soon - So I will have all the tools needed for both runs through the program.

Brett

When the program says avoid all other grip work....it means it. By the time you get knee deep in the program, more grip work will be the last thing on your mind.

Day Three -

Feeling pretty good - I am enjoying the workouts - really putting all I have into the overcrushes.

That "pony" clamp is fun - just able to do negatives now.

Did a couple sets of three front, rear and rotational levers with the 6# sledge.

I think I made the right decision adjusting my goal to a lower gripper to develop my capacity to handle the workload - Bending overall will have to wait and I suspect that once I do return to bending I will be much stronger at it.

Thanks for the responses guys - I will monitor my hands and try to avoid overtraining.

Brett

I am wrapping up phase 1 week 1 - I accumulated my 40 singles through the week and I think the extra day off will do me good.

This is the first intensive gripper program I have been on and it is interesting -

I am glad I chose the lower goal - by the time I am through this routine I will be ready to for the assault on the #3- being close and having "mastery" over the grippers are two different things.

A little tough to make room for my other training - Kettlebells place a load on the grip and the carryover of intense gripping on the rest of the arm make weighted pull-ups a bit different.

Add to that the fact that I have two competitions coming up withing the next 2 months (kettlebell competitions)- and a focus on grip is a tough decision right now.

But I think it will pay off - a stronger grip will carryover.

The bending experiment last nigth was interesting - I had never tried terminator style but to get a blue and two 60d tells me I should keep experimenting.

Brett