Thick Bar Training

Jeff Parker

I recently made a 2" thick bar for doing clean and presses and double overhand deadlifts. I was very surprised how hard it was to do. I can deadlift with a one hand over and one hand under very easy, but my double overhand is pathetic. What kind of grip exercises help doing lifts with a thick bar? Will pinch grip exercises help? Crushes?

I am doing lots of thickbar work, I'm just wondering if there are other things that would help, exersices that might work the same muscles that are used when using a thickbar.

I would say you're best off doing timed holds in a rack with heavy weight. Just pick the bar up a couple inches and try not to let it rest on your legs. Work up your weights and you can vary from workout to workout how long you hold it for from just pickin it up to 30 sec holds ect. Other stuff like thumb work or wrist roller or reverse curls with thickbar are ok too but its easy to overdo some of that also. Supports should get you double overhand numbers up pretty quickly by them selves...

Also, hey! go to the Michigan grip championships May 15th. Your double overhand thickbar holds will go up by 50lb guaranteed just by attending. If they don't I'll pay you back double the entrance fee...

Jeff,

I agree with Dave, the best way to increase 2" thick bar lifts is to specifically train with it. Also when I deadlift I use the double over hand grip to max weight before I switch over, this has helped lots. Try bent over rows but do them explosively with the 2" bar, this has helped greatly for gripping power.

Todd Larson

AP, double the entry fee eh,.....well, an entry fee of nothing makes..Nothing! Sounds like a good deal to me.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips, every time I have a question about gripping u guys have it answered in no time at all. Its mucho appreciated! :)

If you really want to abuse yourself with thickbar work start out with a weight you can clean, keep adding weight until you're only high pulling it, then deadlifting it, then breaking it off the ground. It's a fun way to totally smoke your grip, but I wouldn't do it every day.

• 2 weeks later...