Hammer Strength Gripper Extensions

Tom of Iowa2

For those of you that use a HAMMER STRENGTH gripper machine or have access to HAMMER STRENGTH equipment at a nearby gym?Cool stuff.I think jerry came up with a pretty good idea.

IMO,The extensions makes the Hammer Gripper a very serious machine. :happy

extensions for HAMMER STRENGTH equipment

side view of machine loaded

Gripper in Use

anothe HAMMER STRENGTH machine with the extensions

How about some new pictures of Josh Bigger? Everyone is board with the old ones.

Also lets see it closed with his feet OFF the floor.

How about some new pictures of Josh Bigger? Everyone is board with the old ones.

That wasn't the purpose of the post,was trying to help Jerry Novak out and Jerry Helps Josh out. but I'll see if Jerry will take some new photos and put them up. :cool

i didn't know anybody had ever seen that picture of shrugs on the HAMMER machine before?

You are kidding right? :D I assume you must be. Nobody will ever 'close' that machine with 600lbs on the HAMMER GRIPPER.And IF you pull your feet with that much weight? the machine will flip over...even if you weigh 280...it will flip over. :whistel Try it. :cool

Those are holds for time.he dosent' do them any more.Jerry used the old Photo to demonstrate his extensions.

You are kidding right? :D I assume you must be. Nobody will ever 'close' that machine with 600lbs on the HAMMER GRIPPER.And IF you pull your feet with that much weight? the machine will flip over...even if you weigh 280...it will flip over. :whistel Try it. :cool

Those are holds for time.he dosent' do them any more.Jerry used the old Photo to demonstrate his extensions.

Yeah I'm kidding ALOT lately.

So whats the point?

:laugh I meant the point of the links/photos wasn't to show Josh Bigger.It was to To show the extensions themselves and the extensions in use.jerry sponsors josh so josh is in the gallery.They should have another 40 or 50 pics up soon?? in the Gallery but josh isn't in these other photos.....more oddball stuff though.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Yeah I'm kidding ALOT lately.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Perhaps more fiber in your diet would help?

Warm showers in the morning OR long walks in the moonlite are soothing also.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

You are kidding right? :D I assume you must be. Nobody will ever 'close' that machine with 600lbs on the HAMMER GRIPPER.

I guess I don't understand this machine then, you are not supposed to close the handles? What is Josh doing then, holding the handles wide apart? And if the point of the post is to show that the extensions can be used to hold more weight, I don't see the point of this if Josh can't close the handles.

I guess my point is that I've never seen anyone close to maxing out a Hammer Strength upper body machine so why would anyone need to add another 135+pounds?

Where the hell is Krumrie when you need him.

You are kidding right? :D I assume you must be. Nobody will ever 'close' that machine with 600lbs on the HAMMER GRIPPER.

I guess I don't understand this machine then, you are not supposed to close the handles? What is Josh doing then, holding the handles wide apart? And if the point of the post is to show that the extensions can be used to hold more weight, I don't see the point of this if Josh can't close the handles.

Mr.Black.

They are holds for time.Negatives.The weight is lifted up to him and he held it shut as long as possible as the weight bcomes too much it is held by his finger tips.The five or six plates that can be loaded on the standard HAMMER aren't enough for negatives.No big deal but I've seen him hold that weight shut with one hand.

Haven't others used negatives before?

I think negatives have been reported on gripper machines.Didn't joe kinney do some sort of negatives?

Why would you force a gripper closed and then hold it?I believe that is the same concept?It is apparently a frequently used technique. What is the point of forceing a gripper closed (that you can't close) and holding it?

Others have spoke of cheating the INCH dumbell up and trying to hold it.Gee?what is the point of that.Is that a negative of sorts.

If you remember?Josh wasn't interested in grippers.So he worked on this machine fro a couple of months.

One person(long time member of forum)even attributed the fact that use of this machine was WHY he closed Animal Cages #3 gripper,no set, first touch?

I guess my point is that I've never seen anyone close to maxing out a Hammer Strength upper body machine so why would anyone need to add another 135+pounds?

John,

This machine- like a gripper or other implements- can be used for negatives.The HAMMER STRENGTH machine is actually pretty well suited for negatives with the weight easily loaded out in front.

The other HAMMER machines are pretty versatile and with the extensions more weight can be added.Not needed for everybody but there are some machines that are easily maxed out.

Thus the extensions were developed.Try some negatives on the HAMMER you might find them effective...then again you might not.

We used to have contests to see who could hold back the most weight.It was actually a lot of fun.And there was the feeling that the stronger an individuals fingers were?the more weight they could hold :cool Josh won.

John,

i misread your post.You were referring to not seing anybody maxing out the HAMMER upper body machines.My mistake. Also,I thought you were talking about the HAMMER gripper only.Thus my explanation of the negatives.

I have seen several people Max out several of the HAMMER upper body machines.

8 plate a side on the HAMMER Dy row for example.The shrugs on the HAMMER ground base are frequently done and easily maxed out.

The seated Shrug machine is easy to max out.HAMMer wide chest only goes to 7 plates a side.A legit 500 bencher will do that easily!And thats after being pre-exhausted.6 plates a side is the MAX on the HAMMER incline....that not a lot of weight for any big presser.

A member recently returned from California on a 'fact finding trip' :tongue and found several gyms(out of the hundreds of harcore BB gyms out there) had several members maxing out the HAMMER machines.

Bodybuilder 'types'have a tenedency to use the HAMMER machines a little differently.Some will do some forced reps.And then do a drop set.Others (especially on HAMMER back exercises)shorten up the range of motion.

I will talk jerry into Posting more photos of people Maxing out theother machines.

No sarcasm intended.But i'd never really thought of maxing out the HAMMER machines as a big deal.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

No really, how about some more pics of Josh Bigger. We've had enough of the old ones.

Ok,Really, :cool I'll talk to Jerry or Holly and see igf they can get some more taken.

They will be posted in the XTREME Gallery.i can't tell if your joking on the internet.

I'll let you know.

Againts the advice of some he will be competeing in the May 8/9 St.Louis PRO AM contest.Other than a few lifts he's done in the gym?he'll be doing that very high level 8 event strongman competition 'cold'(top american amateurs and top american pros)...with little or no event training.probably a rude awakening?

I suspect it will not be a great showing...but it will allow him to see where he is.And then he'll start hitting the events.I'll make sure i get even more photos. :erm

The other HAMMER machines are pretty versatile and with the extensions more weight can be added.Not needed for everybody but there are some machines that are easily maxed out.

Tom, in this post to John, I found it a bit funny the way it was stated. Do you realize what house John Wood grew up in? :D

Tom, in this post to John, I found it a bit funny the way it was stated. Do you realize what house John Wood grew up in? :D

I don't know the exact sleeping arrangements of his childhood but i know who his dad is... :laugh and I know he's had access to HAMMER STRENGTH equipment most of his life.

I does seem funny and sounds like I'm trying to explain it to him..I guess I should have said HAMMER STRENGTH is very heavy duty and can be loaded far beyond the manufacturers specs and that this is frequently done. :cool

I'd suspect as strong as a lot of the football players?(collegeand NFL) that he's been around?and that he has seen use the HAMMER stuff?I'd guess they are pretty beat up and their objective is not to MAX out the HAMMER stuff...also?i would assume that and they probably train very specifically within the the parameters of a 'strength program' and always follow the 'form' that the machines inventor specified.

The lifters I've observed and heard about?not always useing the machine as intended....but still getting results.

( i think at one time or another?we've all develped training methods that result in us using implements in a way that the inventor never intended...grippers or one example :inno )

A west coast trick i was shown was useing the HAMMER behind the neck press to develop upper chest.You scoot foreward,arch a little and it become a very unique 'incline'press.The ground base high pull(as in that pic)is great for shrugs if you need a change or want to hit traps ant another angle.

The HAMMER incline?only goes to 6 plates a side.That 19 year old kid in the photos lifting the 410# stone?and doing the bar pull with Pfister.maxed out that machine for sets of 6....at the age of 19.The DY row?only goes to 6 plates a side.Thats not really very hard to do......The HAMMER wide chest machine goes to 7 plates...that isn't all that heavy.I saw a guy named Paul Newman(not the actor :blush )do 7 plates a side ,dead stop,pause for 5 reps at a body weight of 220lbs.(the owner of the gym Holly Banks-a girl-did 4 plates- a side for 5 reps :cry )

There is a pic on the internet of a guy doing about 11 plates a side on the Hammer Row of a leverage machine that has the same design.I'l try to find the link.I saw a guy with the HAMMER dipper loaded up to 7 plates- a side(the max)with a 100# female standing on the stack of plates. :ohmy unfortunately?the extensions don't fit within the area on the HAMMER dipper...but Jerry can shorten them up for you :D

I guess thats the long story. :cry Trivia;did you guys know that the MetroFlex gym in texas had dumbells that go up to #250 EACH?In that gym 150#'s wouldn't seem heavy...... :whistel in most gyms?most people would think your a stud if your inclining the 150's :cool .....

I was trying to add smiley faces and other light hearted Clickable smiles but they wouldn't come up....again...it does sound funny.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Tom, if he could only come up with a way to add weight to Hammer's MTS machines. The Gold's I go to has a mix of those and the plate-loaded machines, and I'm maxed out on several of these.

Alas, the plate-loaded machines take quite a few plates for us (mere) mortals, although I can definitely see some scary guys needing more weight, especially for negatives. Also, did I get this right, that 19 year old was doing reps with 540lbs in plates + the 8lb starting resistance??? If so, that is truly frightening :stuart

Edited by ianders1

.  Also, did I get this right, that 19 year old was doing reps with 540lbs in plates + the 8lb starting resistance???  If so, that is truly frightening :stuart

Yes. this kid in the pics is 19 years old.He hit 6 plates on the incline quite easil.(so did Sal Puina..in other photos)His name is Josh Wasson.he also hit about?25? reps on the 240 log at the practice session.

He competed in a contest that summer and only got 19reps on the log.....long story.

He had a 'melt down'during the comp.

I heard some guys say?at 6'1",320lbs with short arms,barrel chest and thick shoulders that he had unfair advantage on pressing events,"oh he's just a natural presser" :dry .......but for carrying a stone?that is a disadvantage.Maybe he was just strong.strong kid dragging an engine block

heavy stone?

Give me a LINK to the MTS machines so i can look at them.Then I'll give him some pics and he can take it from there?(The gym here has 19 of the plate loaded machines,no MTS?).he is machineing some weights that can be added to conventional weight stacks for selectorize machines...sort of like those rubber weight add ons you see at the gym that weigh 2.5 or 5.0lbs...but these will be smaller,solid steel and add 15 lbs a pop...yet these won't take up anymore room than those rubber ones that weight 5lbs.

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

Tom,

Here's the link to all of Hammer's MTS line.

http://www.hammerstrength.com/commercial/hs_mts.asp

As you can see, most of the weight stacks are only 150lbs, for each limb, for a total of 300lbs. I max them out during work sets on the Shoulder, Incline, Leg Extension, Chest Press, and other machines. That rules out using them for negatives, triples, 1RMs, etc.

Also, I have no say at my gym, so I'm not saying that I or the gym would buy extension plates, if they were made. Just want to be clear on that. I would definitely ask the gym to "invest" in them if they were available, though :)

Personally I love all of the Hammer machines, and they are perfect for the HIT routine I use. I have recently discovered their MTS Abdominal Crunch machine, and it's the first ab machine that doesn't work my lower back ;) by making me resist on the way back. Also, no more bruised knees, I now use the bottom handles of their Ground Base Squat Lunge machine for my deadlifts.

I'm not knocking free weights or Cybex, etc. but 90% of my decision when I moved to FL and needed a new gym was based on what and how much Hammer stuff they had. The stuff just rocks and feels so natural.

John, your Dad's done an awesome job. Not that you don't already know that!

Also, I have no say at my gym, so I'm not saying that I or the gym would buy extension plates, if they were made. Just want to be clear on that. I would definitely ask the gym to "invest" in them if they were available, though :)

Also, no more bruised knees, I now use the bottom handles of their Ground Base Squat Lunge machine for my deadlifts.

Oh don't worry about that....the point is(and I don't know what level of strength you have in other areas)IF you need extra weight on the machines?certainly someone else will also.It sort of like dumbells?most people don't need over 200 pounders...some people do.(although he now makes pairs of 100's on up..originally it was 200's on up that was a VERYYlimited market..)

Some gyms might be interested in MTS add on weights?some won't be.maybe none will be.they won't be hard for him to make and try out...once we have the specs.

IF not?you could buy a pair or two of 15's or 10's and sneek them in your gym bag.There is a guy that carries a pair of extensions with him for HAMMER STRENGTH plate loaded and sneeks them on...and either nobody notices?or nobody cares?or they just don't want to confront him :laugh

The bad part is,in the photos, I can't see the top of those weight stacks and they have those damn safety shields on them.How do the top of those 'stacks'compare to regular,steel,selectorized machines?They may be very similar to regular selectorized stuff.

Its not rocket science...I'm sure Jerry could figure it out and he has a full machine shop with C&C lathes,C&C saws,TIG welder,and some machines that I'm not even sure about?some sort of giant German lathe.

Thanks Ian, My Dad was done with Hammer Strength long before that MTS line came out. The machines are as good as they come though the new owners have changed the design on some of them drastically and reduced the effectiveness quite a bit. I have never used the MTS line and highly doubt I ever will.

Tom, heres my take on the extension idea and I won't even charge you a consulting fee. You are severely limited by your target market. Only Gyms or clubs are getting that kind of (mostly incorrect) use out of the HS machines and gym owners sure don't want to void their warrantee (which they would be doing with those extensions. ) Oh and one more thing, don't have Jerry call his various bars by silly names. PDA already does that and it confuses customers.

I shall call this extension bar Excalibur the III.