It's The Little Things

EricMilfeld

The IM cloths are actually Nylon, not Kevlar. You guys wouldn't be "cutting" Kevlar too easily. They do stand up well to protrusion.

terminator,

Very interesting - nylon! They are sold as kevlar.

What type of wrapping do you use on your bending Pat?

Brett

Aren't Kevlar and Nylon just brand names of the same basic material? That is, plastic fibers woven together cloth-like? Kevlar is just a stronger and tighter version of this material. I suspect that the Ironmind cloths are not Kevlar tm nor Nylon tm but rather just a commercial grade fabric of super tough woven plastics that could accurately be described as kevlar-like but without the bullet proofing qualities...

hey, 500 posts!

Edited by AP

Aren't Kevlar and Nylon just brand names of the same basic material? That is, plastic fibers woven together cloth-like? Kevlar is just a stronger and tighter version of this material. I suspect that the Ironmind cloths are not Kevlar tm nor Nylon tm but rather just a commercial grade fabric of super tough woven plastics that could accurately be described as kevlar-like but without the bullet proofing qualities...

hey, 500 posts!

Many differences at the molecular level. If they were the same, everyone's backpack would be bulletproof :D

Congrats Eric.

You will be U'd the Red in less than a minute very soon my friend.

:bow

I have seen several references to the IM pads being kevlar here on the gripboard, but when I went to their catalog, and the website, I found no reference to this. I just received my bag of nails a few weeks ago, and as I was taking a picture to share with my training partner, I noticed the bending pads, and the bag itself are exactly the same color. Then it dawned on me, they are the exact same material. The bending cloths are just two halves of the bags that have not been sewn together.

I believe these are just plain nylon, but if anyone has a reference that says the IM pads are kevlar, please let me know where it is. Thanks. :cool

Many differences at the molecular level. If they were the same, everyone's backpack would be bulletproof 

Damn, I guess I should stop shooting at school children then :blink !

due to the last couple of years, ....not really funny. Just my opinion.

Not a slam at you, just that humor doesn't seem as funny to me anymore.

w

Here are my personal experiences and thoughts on the wrapping of the nail issue. First off, the IM cloths neither hinder nor help in the bend for me, other than preventing the nail's sharp edges from poking through the towel and into my hands. In fact, as much IM cloth I use in wrapping, I use equally less of the hand towel to keep the total wrapping from getting too thick. Too much padding makes the bend more difficult, and too little is risking serious hand injury. With too much padding, my hands are forced into more of an open position, which significantly decreases my leverage with regards to obtaining a tight grip on the nail, much for the same reason thick bar is more difficult than standard bar lifts. Also, as already mentioned, too much padding increases the amount of effort required to bend the nail, in as much as you are "bending" a bunch of material, as well as the nail. There really is a delicate balance here. The only potential problem I recognize with regards to wrapping is the use of thin, very rigid material extending well beyond the nail's ends. Most leather would not then pose a problem. Something like a hard, plastic tube placed over the ends is another story. I hope all this helps. Basically, I say any cloth-like material in any amount, as well as supple leather which serves to protect the hands, is fine.

As I said earlier, as long as those involved agreed on a standard I have no problems. I would suspect though that there is no sharp, clear cut division between acceptable fabrics and non-acceptable ones. This is certainly not ment as a slam in any way or form but rather as an open discussion of padding materials. I can't bend stuff you bend Eric with or without all the kevlar in the world.

Points well taken Mikael. I think we're in agreement here.