Don's Grip Training Log

Octogen

16 Oct 04

Dredging up my training log again so I can get serious about some new grip goals. I got a bit distracted with training for the October kettlebell certification.

Now that i've got some more blue nails and tougher 1/4" round i'm aiming to bend a grade 5 by Christmas.

I haven't trained grippers for months but to my surprise when i tried my #2 the other day I got it down to about 1/8" which is way better than any previous attempt.

I'm going to stick with 2 bending sessions a week and a single session of grippers to try and nail the last few mm on the #2.

I've also picked up the tearing bug but i'll hold off on that until i finish off the G5.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Octogen

• bencrush

• Mikael Siversson

• mcham

18 Oct 04

An experimental workout combining grippers and bending

Grippers first

#1 R x 3, 5

#1 L x 2, 2

#2 attempts

R x4, got oh so close 2 times (1/8" and 1/16")

L x 2 not even close.

Bending

easy 1/4" x 5.5" round x 1

FBBC 1/4" x 5.5 round x 2

Since the grippers don't seem to kill my bending unlike the other way around i'm going to do 2 workouts a week in this fashion and build up the volume of # 2 attempts and FBBC bends to try and nail the last bit on the #2 and to work up to a G5

Its been 4-5 months since i trained with the grippers. I got hooked on bending and worked on that pretty much exclusively.

Even when I was training with them i never got closer than 1/4" on the #2 so it is a real surprise to come off months of doing no gripper work and be so close to closing it. I've even had some time off bending and coming back to bend a couple of 60d nails on my first attempt was an even bigger surprise.

My only possible explanation is the huge volume of kettlebell work I was doing in July- October.

20 Oct 04

Before grip today I did an hour and a half of wrestling and then went for a run so I decided to lay off bending and just do some grippers.

#1 R x 4, 2

#1 L x 2, 2

#2 attempts

R 4 x each down to 1/4" Still feeling the last workout a bit

L 3 x closed onto a stack of coins 1/2" thick, will remove a coin next week.

I've got two days off then i'm going to do some bending as a finisher at my Kettlebell workshop on Saturday.

Edited by Octogen

23 Oct 04

After a 2 hour kettlebell workshop I finisehd up with some light bending and a few gripper attempts

#2 down to 1/8" a couple of times and a few #1 closes

1 x blue nail

1 x 60d

the 60d felt really easy so an hour or so later when i got home I decided to have a go at the G5 and it went too.

Now very glad that I bought some G8s from FBBC when I was in the States!!

26 Oct 04

Feeling a bit fatigued from a big workout yesterday and wrestling this morning

#1 3,3 each hand to warm up

#2 attempts R x4 down to 1/4"

#2 closes onto a stack of 8 pennies x3 plus one miss

Bending

Warm up

Grade 2

1x 5.5" x 1/4" FBBC this felt very hard today so I cut my workout there.

I'll let the hands rest up until Saturday then have a go at another grade 5

28 Oct 04

I wasn't meant to do grip today but during a break from writing my business plan I decided to finish off my last pack of cheap cards

I halved and quartered a deck of 30 cards then did a PR with halving a deck of 35

01 Nov 04

Morning

grippers

#1 2x3 L and R to warm up

#2 attempts

#2 R Closed! PR

3 more attempts R but not even close each time

#2 L closed 3 times onto a stack of 8 pennies

01 Nov 04

Forgot to add that in the afternoon I did a short bending session

2 warm up bends and then 1 x grade 5

04 Nov 04

A little work on grippers but my hands were a bit sore so I did a few warm ups on the #1 and a few attempts on the #2 but nothing closer than 1/4"

Bent 1 x 5.5" FBBC about 1/2" off center but then decided to rest up as i'm going to do some bending after my workshop on Saturday

08 Nov 04

Nothing spectacular to report from the weekends training.

hands were fried after the kettlbell workshop and I missed the #2 and only kinked a G5

Today

Still no luck with the #2, hands feel sore so I'm going to rest a few days before I try the grippers again.

Tore a pack of 40 cards PR!

Then dropped a few off and quartered 30 then tore some smaller stacks using just finger tips until the pack was confetti

10 nov 04

A nasty mountain biking crash has left me pretty sore all over so about all I can do this week is grip!

Even that feels a bit off but today I did a short workout

Grippers

#1 2x3reps L/R to warm up

#2 attempts - 5 per hand, all within 1/8 -1/4" but no closes

Bending

I've now switched to pure double overhand from terminator style

1 easy bend to warm up then

1 x 5.5 x 1/4" FBBC with IM pads ( not my favourite wraps but if I want to get a red cert I'll need to train with them)

1 x 6" grade 5 - this was a real struggle today!

14 Nov 04

Grippers

#1 2x3 L/R

#2 attempts 5 each hand nothing closer than 1/4" Haven't been able to close it again since my one and only close last week!

Bending

1 x easy 6 x 1/4" crs and

1 x IM Blue to warm up

1 x 60d

1 x 6" grade 5

Attempt at a FBBC grade 8, got about a 5 degree kink in it.

Looks like I might get the G8 by Christmas :)

• 2 weeks later...

24 Nov 04

Grippers

#1 2x3 R/L

#2 Attempts x 5 each hand, nothing closer than 1/4"

Bending

1 x blue

1 x G5 - real struggle damnit!

Hang in there that #2 will fall shortly...have you tried adding

negs to your workouts...and OC's with a lighter gripper?

The #2 has gone down once but I think I've overtrained or hurt my hands a bit as I get some mild pains in the right hand when I crush.

I've backed off the frequency to about once every 4-5 days and I might work some overcrushes and strapholds on the #1 for a couple of weeks before I try the #2 again.

Hey Don... I keep buying steel every now and again from bunnings and last time I actually got a batch that's almost as strong as the IM bars... just gotta keep trying I guess. Could even depend on the stores, I got this from the Chatswood store... I don't know if they stock themselves, or they get it from a central warehouse.

Mark, let us know how you go with it. If you can get the FBBC you should be able to do those 60ds.

Now todays workout

Tear 40 cards

quarter the halves minus 5 cards

tear into eigths 15 card stacks in order to get the most out of the deck

• 2 weeks later...

Today was my first grip workout in a while and I was very disappointed to say the least.

I've been working on the #2 and bending at the same time but I think that too many max gripper efforts directly before bending are hurting my bending. I've gone from being able to do a G5 in about 60 secs to failing on the last two i've attempted, NOT HAPPY

So anyway I'm going to lay off the grippers before bending and see if that helps.

Today

#1 2 x 3 each hand

#2 attempts 10 each hand nothing closer than 1/8"

1 x 6" x 1/4" easy CRS

1 x 5.5 x 1/4" FBBC

Failed at a G5

My workout today

Im blue x 1

G5 x 1

I seem to be stuffed after one max bend so i'm going to work some volume using FBBC 1/4" stock one day a week and then a max bend session every week.

I'm laying off the grippers for the next few weeks to see how far i can take the bending.

• 1 month later...

23 Jan 05

Over a month off seriouis grip training due to a combination of a badly infected left elbow and knuckle pain from bending.

The big surprise upon coming back to it is that my crush has improved and I can now do the #2 consistently with the right hand for singles and have closed it left handed once.

Ordered a BBSM and have been doing some negatives on that.

I know most people rate the SM as a 2.7-2.8 but compared to my #3 it seems relatively easy. Either i've got a soft SM or a harder #3

Haven't tried any bending yet but i'll have a go on Tuesday.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting my log after a Looooong time!

It's not that i haven;t been gripping but i did have a big break and then got lazy keeping the log up to date.

After Nicks gripathon last weekend i'm back into it and aiming to see how much i can improve before the NSW grip champs in August/Sept

I'll be focusing on the events (grippers, two handed pinch (Euro apparatus), one arm vertical bar lift (Euro standard), rolling thunder and weaver stick to the rear)

So i'll leave bending mostly alone for the moment.