Grip Bash V Events

EricMilfeld

We're looking for a few good lifts. Please suggest lifts that can be easily duplicated with commonly available equipment the world over, and conteseted with a relatively high degree of subjectivity. I'm all for contesting an oddball event or two if it meets the preceeding criteria, but please don't suggest a reverse pinky curl for reps.

V Bar lift 1'' or 2''

35 lb plate curl for reps

Suitcase lift with EZ bar

Deadlift Olympic bar both hands palms down

Pinch block covered with duct tape

Inverted gripper close for reps

60D nails most bent in one hour

Guest gripmaster316

Yes but with the variance in plate slickness, pinching really differs. I could pinch Jonathan McMillan's 2 35's but my 2 35's are glued to the ground.

Eric... what about a double overhand lockout (with an olympic bar) and then hold for max time? Say with 300-400 lbs??

Edited by gripmaster316

Lockout holds are difficult to judge. If the bar is touching the thighs it takes some of the stress off the grip. Even the slightest backward lean makes a huge difference.

I think a 2" V-bar lift would be good since most people own a loading pin.

I like the idea of everybody bending the same stock as well.

Strict plate curls (with your back against a wall).

60D nails most bent in one hour

This would be cool.

I'd like to see the #'s in this. 1 hour is a long time to be banging out 60's.

Eric, where would the Grip Bash take place? (what state) thanks.

David's right about the amount of lean affecting the results of a bar hold. And I guess requiring no leg contact would place too much stess on the erectors??? OldGuy's double overhand deadlift might be workable, unless people object based on the amount of back muscle involvement.

Most bends per specified amount of time also seems like a fun one. Perhaps we could have a 60D as well as a grade 5 category, with the grade 5 bends being awarded more points.

I meant to preface this post with a disclaimer, and forgot. But please, let's restrict input here solely for those who intend to compete.

Eric, where would the Grip Bash take place? (what state) thanks.

All fifty states, and all countries of the world are invited to host this event. :laugh

We compete wherever we wish, on our own equipment, over the course of a week. Then your results are e-mailed to me, and I post them, with certificates going to the top finishers. The contest is free, and will take place in mid to late May. I continue to scratch my head as to why no more than a handful of us choose to take part in the fun. But it's fun for us nonetheless!

Check out past posts in this forum of the Rules and Official Results over the course of the last year, to get an idea of what it's all about. We do it every three months.

Eric, there will be nit picking and objections by some, to any events that are chosen. I would base it on simple equipment rather than trying to please everyone.

:D You cannot be expected to isolate the events to pure grip.

Thanks Eric, I'll look into it. :cool

Well i think i will be competing in this one, looks like fun.

The previous events used in other grip bashes looks pretty good, mabey combine a couple from each.

It my be benificial to use the poll feature and see what everyone thinks.

Grippers

Weighted hang for time from chinup bar (BW+100 lbs?).

2-hand pinch

1-hand Jefferson-style or suitcase deadlift using oly bar

Eric, How about some kind of weighted cloth bag 1-hand carry for distance, or total combined distance with each hand, using 30-40 lbs (as described in MOHS)?

I thought I'd include the weighted hang to balance out the 1-hand deadlift, so both the 150 & 350-pounders have a lift they should have an advantage on.

I'd like the Rolling Thunder to be an event, but don't know if that would be a barrier to too many who'd otherwise enter.

I think I will give it a shot even if I haven't begun bending yet and decide to forgo that part of the bash.

Well i think i will be competing in this one, looks like fun.

The previous events used in other grip bashes looks pretty good, mabey combine a couple from each.

It my be benificial to use the poll feature and see what everyone thinks.

Would love to have you compete!

After we gain a bit more input here, I may go ahead and start a poll.

I'll be competing this time. I agree with Austin about the axle reverse curl. I'd also like to see grippers, one hand Ciavattone deadlift, one hand axle clean and jerk, and bending. I think the one hand deadlift would be a better option for some of the weaker members (me included) who might be limited in the two hands Ciavattone deadlift only by general body strength. I know it's not a good excuse to be weak...but I've actually pulled over 80% with one hand what I'm capable of with two.

V = vertical. Imaging using one hand to lift a loaded loading pin. I bet you thought the bar was V shaped. :flame:D

:blush That would be a correct assumption. I was picturing some sort of thickbar V shaped thing.

Eric,

sent you a pm basic gist was a lever lift -weaver stick or something like that was the basic idea.

The one arm hang for time would be entertaining -good idea Odin!

Jon@han

Guest gripmaster316

Curious Eric, are we going for gripper reps still? How about timed holds this time?

Edited by gripmaster316

Grippers, bending, two hands pinch (45's), & one hand deadlift are all good events that could be easily accessed. I would like to see some blob lifting and 1" vert bar in the contest, but then again most people don't have these objects/devices.

Curious Eric, are we going for gripper reps still? How about timed holds this time?

I guess we haven't decided yet. Just tossin around ideas. Do you think you'll compete this time around?

I would like to contest atleast one new event for Grip Bash V. I'm kinda liking the idea of a double overhand deadlift.

What about a one hand barbell clean?

Also, Jonathan M. PMed me about possibly contesting some kind of individual finger lifting. Yes, there's an increased risk of injury, but I personally would be willing to perform something like a deadlift, using only the first two fingers of each hand. I've trained these before, and found them to feel surprisingly solid, with regards to my finger tendons.

If you would like to bend, I will supply the stock again.

I request to not to one arm hangs for fear of tearing a rotator cuff.

Other suggestions...

I like the plate curl idea.

Maybe a one hand pinch this time.

Softball lift, maybe?

Bring back grippers. Maybe a COC #1 Straphold for max weight?

Double pronated dead sounds good.

More tomorrow, maybe...time for a bubble bath.

-Jedder-

If you would like to bend, I will supply the stock again.

I request to not to one arm hangs for fear of tearing a rotator cuff.

Other suggestions...

I like the plate curl idea.

Maybe a one hand pinch this time.

Softball lift, maybe?

Bring back grippers. Maybe a COC #1 Straphold for max weight?

Double pronated dead sounds good.

More tomorrow, maybe...time for a bubble bath.

-Jedder-

Good point on the one arm hang.

A #1 gripper for "weight" strikes my fancy.

Yes, we'll do bending. Thanks for offering to supply the stock again, Jedd.

All competitors: Would you prefer to use Jedd's stock for the bending, or would you rather acquire your own 60D's and/or grade 5's, for example?