Starting The Kta Program

JWare

Hi everyone. I've recently decided to dedicate my grip training to crushing only. I bought the KTA Program and will be starting once I receive the #2 gripper from IM. After reading the program and adjusting how I hold the gripper, I am very close to closing the #1. I know this is weak, hence my desire to focus solely on crushing. I'm getting antsy for the grippers to arrive.

My goals: close the #1 (should be soon as I can almost close it now)

close #2 by the end of the KTA program

should have bought the #3 too. You will get addicted to the grippers and want more. You could also get the super master and the elite and master man there are so many grippers out there you will want them all believe me anybody who bought a gripper gets addicted. I know I wish I had all of htem

Yes get the #3 and#4

And put extended handles on them ans you will suprised at the

gain you get and with the KTA.

Why is it so addictive? I can't believe it myself :-) I bought no 1&2 in July 2003 and I just had to have 3&4 so I got them in November 2003.

Got my grippers today, so of course I did the first workout. It's on now.

I'm not sure why they're so addictive. For me at least, pretty much everything involving strength fascinates me and makes me want to improve my own capabilites. One of the reasons I am also a powerlifter.

Grippers for marketting reasons are all equiped with a narcotic substance that is transmitted throught the skin into the user. Sweat helps in this tranmision. This addictive substance makes the user obsess with his or her forearms and all aspects of their strength.

I couldn't help myself. I had to try the #1. I closed it with my right, and barely missed closing with my left. My plan of closing the #1 with both hands is nearly accomplished. Now I plan on mastering it.

I posted on the main grip forum about whether or not to move my goal up to the #2. I have decided to wait until test day, which is in another three weeks. After that I will be starting at day 1, week 1 with the #2 as my goal. Besides that, everything is continuing to go well.

Why is it so addictive? I can't believe it myself :-) I bought no 1&2 in July 2003 and I just had to have 3&4 so I got them in November 2003.

Grippers are the "gateway drug" of grip. You'll expand your interests after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started my fourth week of the program. The #1, which I couldn't close at teh beginning is pretty easy now. :D I tried the #2, but I am still about 3/4 of an inch from closing it. As I said before, I will be starting the program over with the goal of closing the #2. I am going to take a few days off and start up next week.

Wait until you get the #4.....It is a BEAST!!!!! Good Luck!!! :mosher

• 2 weeks later...

I also recently started the KTA program and at the time could close the #2 with my right and only daylight away with the left. I chose to start with the goal of mastering the #2 even though I could already close it with my right. I am in the third week and going strong. My question is this: Can some veterans give me some insight into what kind of trainning can be done inbetween KTA cycles? and is it smart to continue lifting as usual during the KTA? I am currently running 15-20 miles a week and riding my bike 36-48 miles a week and doing sets of weighted pull ups 25 reps per day three times a week. Does this sound like too much? I have read a bunch about not over training but right now my hands and forearms seem to be holding up. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I started the fourth week of the KTA program, which means this is test week. My grip has definitely gotten weaker. I've started doing contrast therapy as my wrists have started to hurt quite a bit.

I still have a 1/2 inch left on the #2. Hopefully doing less volume this week will allow me to get closer on the last workout before I start the next phase.

I also recently started the KTA program and at the time could close the #2 with my right and only daylight away with the left. I chose to start with the goal of mastering the #2 even though I could already close it with my right. I am in the third week and going strong. My question is this: Can some veterans give me some insight into what kind of trainning can be done inbetween KTA cycles? and is it smart to continue lifting as usual during the KTA? I am currently running 15-20 miles a week and riding my bike 36-48 miles a week and doing sets of weighted pull ups 25 reps per day three times a week. Does this sound like too much? I have read a bunch about not over training but right now my hands and forearms seem to be holding up. Any advice?

Just use wrist straps for your pullups and you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice on the wrist straps; I have experimented around on the pull up sets with and with out straps. Without has not really had any effect on my training. Thanks for the input.

-SMP

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update. I stopped doing the KTA program due to severe pain in my hands and wrists that would not go away. I decided to stop 3 weeks short of completing the program as I do not want to develop any long-term injuries. I have been doing contrast soaking and will be going to get ART done on Saturday to get any scar tissue broken up. I am currently planning on starting a new routine involving the RT (actually Fat Bastard Barbell's version) and sledge levering.