On Setting Grippers

bseedot

The no set part is true the pinky part is not.

So I am being deceptive in the picture, is that it?

If Bob can no-set a trainer, there is no reason why he shouldnt be able to no-set anything above.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Wood

• OldGuy

• Bill Piche

• bseedot

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bob can no-set a trainer, there is no reason why he shouldnt be able to no-set anything above.

True.

Bob, do you use the same hand positioning to close a trainer, or do you have the handle closer to your thumb pad? I suspect that a lot of people have trouble with the no-set because they want to keep the handle high in the hand for better leverage, and then they have trouble getting their fingers to reach the handle.

John,

Your pinky looks freaky short in that pic :ohmy

Bob,

Can you even no-set a trainer ?

You middle finger is barely even on the gripper.

btw guys...what is the handle spread on the grippers in each of your pictures ?

I can no set a #2, and probably more on a better day.

You are right robert, the gripper has to go alot more toward the thumb just so that I could get my finger around the handles enough to exert any pressure.

I just don't see the no set as a really accurate test of strength for me. Sure, I will eventually no set a 3, but all that means is that I am so damn good with the gripper that I can close it while spending half the time juggling it into place.

Well I can one finger close no set my store bought gripper, that means with enough work I should be able to do that to a #4 someday right? I mean I can clean 275 to my shoulders, push it up over my head and unto my traps/back and then back squat it too, but that's not really the point of the exersize. I think a set close demonstrates crushing strength quite well just like a squat in a cage demonstrates leg strength.

Your pic looks legit though, I'd be surprised if anyone had a pic that showed their pinky ON the handle and with a minimum of leverage. No-set close strength for anyone is definitely admirable no matter your hand size though...

Here Old Guy, this ones for you.

hand size

John, is the position of the gripper in your hand how it would be if you were going to close it? I put my filed #2 in my hand the way you have it in your pic and got fairly close to closing it. That positioning is the best a no-set has felt in my hand.

BC.

The no set part is true the pinky part is not.

So I am being deceptive in the picture, is that it?

Exactly John. Only one thing matters. BEING STRONG ENOUGH. Big hands help but that can be overcome by training and getting stronger. I could sit on here and constantly bitch because my hands aren't as big as Tony Scrivens but whats the point. It won't change where I stand with a particular gripper.

As I said before, a guy 5'9 and 180lbs is not going to be playing offensive line in the freaking NFL. Such is life! :)

I think the issue some people have is the attitude and talk that this 5'9" guy CAN play offensive line in the NFL. The fact is, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

A little side story....

My son was trying to lift a blob and his hand was slipping and it stayed on the floor. He started saying it was too slippery. I told him NO, it's not slippery...he's just not strong enough yet! :)

It is not reasonable to choose a sport, in this case grip, when your hand size is poorly suited, and then expect the playing field to be made perfectly even for you.

Has this been done in any other sport?

It is not reasonable to choose a sport, in this case grip, when your hand size is poorly suited, and then expect the playing field to be made perfectly even for you.

Has this been done in any other sport?

Exactly. You take what you have into the sport and do the best you can knowing full well if you are a 5'9" power forward seeking fame in the NBA some day you'll have a bit of a hill to climb compared to a 6'9" guy of equal ability.

On the other hand, there is no unwritten law preventing us from selecting events that favours strictly smaller hands, such as a narrow dinnie ring or a narrow pinch. You could equally well argue that the reason someone with a huge hand (not being able to put all fingers into a Dinnie-type ring) does not do as well as someone with a narrower hand is that they are not strong enough in the two or three fingers that fits into the ring. It just seems to me that large handed people seem more inclined to select events favourable to a large hand to show off than are small handed people inclined to promote lifts that definitely favours small hands.

PS. I do not have small hands (8'').

I failed to understand any of that last post. One thing for sure is that smaller handed people do most of the whining, and expect things to be changed in their favor. It is sometimes better no to compete with or compare yourself to others. Do the best you can for your own satisfaction, and do not be overly concerned with what others can do, or what their unfair advantages might be.

Are we almost done?