On Setting Grippers

bseedot

It might but I don't practice using a set.

I'm trying to weigh the advantages of deep set versus

no set. So you have NEVER tried to deep set a gripper

to close it?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Wood

• OldGuy

• Bill Piche

• bseedot

Top Posters In This Topic

So John Wood tell us your hand measurements so we can see why your pinky cannot reach the gripper handle.

At what? 6'5" if John pulls one of these "I have average hand sizes" gigs I am closing this thread! :laugh

I'm 6'5" and my hands are right at 8". I got jipped!

So John Wood tell us your hand measurements so we can see why your pinky cannot reach the gripper handle.

At what? 6'5" if John pulls one of these "I have average hand sizes" gigs I am closing this thread! :laugh

I'm 6'5" and my hands are right at 8". I got jipped!

I would say so! ;) I am 6'3" and have 7 3/4" hands. Oh wait ... maybe I got jipped :D

Eric, looks like I got the hands you were supposed to have-8" at 5'10". As a side note it might be interesting to see who has the longest hands for their height...or it might tempt some to take up arms. :flame

As a side note it might be interesting to see who has the longest hands for their height...or it might tempt some to take up arms. :flame

We could come up with a hand to height ratio.An all new set of stats.

Yours would be 8.75 to 1?

Mine is 9.55 to 1?

Clay is a9.625 to 1?

Don't divide Pfisters height(78")by his hand(9") ...it comes up with the sign/numbers of the antichrist.it freaked me out and i crushed my calculator and caught it on fire.

John Wood

"..I dont really understand what you are trying to say Monte.  I happen to believe that any hand size can no-set or minimally set a gripper.  Getting stronger every workout , training hard and training smart are the keys."

Here are some excerpts of people who think a no set or IM rule close could be hazardous:

New Ironmind Rules Stinks

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.php?showtopic=7690

Patrik_B

"I don't care if you have 5" hands and can noset the #4. I have 7 3/4" hands and I am out of groove/position with the credit card rule. That is enough reason for ME to not try to close grippers like that. I will probably only injure myself trying."

Tom Black

"...

When I close a gripper no-set or wide set I find that my hand is not in the right spot when finally closed, and that it slips all over the place as my hand is clamping down on the gripper. Not only is it unfair, but it is not the way to apply your full power. As Patrik said, the gripper is out of the groove, It would be like requiring powerlifters to bench press with the bar over their neck."

Wannagrip

"... I almost tweaked my hand which is why I don't do no sets that often."

Tom Page

"... The same thing happened to me today when I tried the BS credit card close. I WILL blow out some tendons or something. "

These are reasonable in my opinion as well. There are twisting forces in closing grippers. They get more extreme as the grippers go up in difficulty and the hand in the hardest part of the close is locked into a position, good or bad, by the extreme

effort the gripper is making.

I understand what you're saying now, Jad and I agree that there can be a leverage disadvantage for someone when we're compared against another person. What Mac and I were mentioning (correct me if I'm wrong Mac) was that if you can no-set close a T but not a 3 (and both grippers have the same handle spread), your failure to close the 3 is not because of a leverage disadvantage (since you can close a weaker gripper with the same handle spread), it's because you're not currently strong enough to do it. We're comparing you against yourself in this example, not against someone else.

BC,

A lot of water has passed in this thread since this bit, but yes, this is what I meant. :D

So John do you consider yourself stronger than Heath and Nathan in crushing strength since you are better at no sets than they are?

I consider John stronger than me, no question.

As for his hand size, they are the same size as mine, 8" or maybe just a bit larger but not huge.

As for his hand size, they are the same size as mine, 8" or maybe just a bit larger but not huge.

What I would like to know is does anyone on here have hands bigger than 8"? :cool

We have 6'5" guys and none of them have "huge" hands. Not one. Guys well over 6'. No one has huge hands. It's even been stated as having "average hands" on here.

I would like to know what a huge hand is and do we need Shaq to come on here and we'll finally have someone admit to having large hands!? :laugh

What I would like to know is does anyone on here have hands bigger than 8"? :cool

We have 6'5" guys and none of them have "huge" hands. Not one. Guys well over 6'. No one has huge hands. It's even been stated as having "average hands" on here.

I would like to know what a huge hand is and do we need Shaq to come on here and we'll finally have someone admit to having large hands!? :laugh

I am 6' 4" and have average hands: 7-7/8" :D

Heath, if John Wood's hands are a the same or a little larger than your own, then he should not be claiming that his pinky does not reach the gripper handle. You do not need to have hands like the Big Show or Shaq to have huge hands. Certainly if you have fingers thicker than quarters and a hand length of 9'' most on here would say your hands are huge. Understating the size of ones own hands is deception.

My hands are around 7 3/4", if I recall. They are reasonably large but not massive - they are well within the normal range of hands that I have seen, which is the important part of this post. Amongst people of nromal height though (around 6", give or take a few inches) I don't recall seeing hands that have dwarfed my own.

I suppose that John my have a very short pinky finger?

I don't know how big John's hands are, but I also don't know what all the fuss is about. I do know he never touches chalk, and I think more than a few guys on the board watched him no-set (and fully open and close) Shrug's #3 for six reps after two days of hellacious grip action.

I've only skimmed this thread, but have read the comments about John's gripping ability. I didn't notice if his pinky could reach the other handle (looks like in the picture - it doesn't), but I did see him no set several grippers that weekend, RB260, #3 , with no chalk. He smashed the #3 for 6 reps and let the gripper open all the way each time. I had never seen this done before and couldn't believe it :rock The funny part is...it was no big deal to him :blush I have been trying to hit that #3 and the more I train the farther away I am... :blink I am not doing a deep set, but it definitely is not a NO SET. I wish I could have seen Heath's #4 attempt, but that was his moment for him and his family....

We will be going to train with the Atomic Athletic crew

We will be going to train with Pat /Steve crew

Going to the TPS, Strongman this year

Going to Rick's BFGSII this year

Gonna be awesome.. :rock

Here Old Guy, this ones for you.

hand size

I can take a pic of my own hand that looks like that holding a gripper. How long is your hand, and how long is the pinky? Are you being secretive like the adjustable gripper guy?

Old Guy, Yeah I have big hands, over 8 inches. I'm not into that measurement BS and if you don't believe the valididity of the picture its your problem.

There's a hell of a lot of Grip board members who I've met and who have seen what I can do. I let my actions speak louder than words and I've been up front about everything. You can be damn sure that if I say I can do something, it's the truth.

So you at last admit to having a large hand. I have not posted anything about your strength or ability, so no need to be defensive. I have no doubt that your pinky can reach easily. Look at Bob's pic. Now he does have short hands for real. He cannot reach with his pinky and has to set a tough gripper. You have falsely calimed that you cannot reach with your pinky. but can still no set close a gripper. The no set part is true the pinky part is not.