My New Training Log

aeroman

This is the start of my training log. It has been suggested by some of you that I do this to actually make progress. I have already proven that left to myself I will go nowhere.

3-23-04

1 x 10 with Trainer

5 over crushes with#1 (5 second hold)

#3 severe negative (7 second hold)

#2 two attempts

I tried to have no more than one minute rest in between each exercise. What is the typical rest period for the rest of you?

Does this seem like too short of a workout or too much or somewhere in between?

To me it seems too easy. I plan three workouts a week. I would like to increase the volume of work but am usually too quick and burn out.

Let's see how long the #2 laughs at me. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Karl

You might want to take the #2 attempts before the main workout. so maybe do something like this t,1x1, 2 attemtps and then hit your overcrushes and negs. I like to finish a workout with a overcrush so you can mix up the overcrushes and negs any way you like. good luck!

aeroman

Welcome aboard and good start to your log.

I would try more volume with the grippers and adding more movements as well (plate pinch lifts and/or holds, plate curls, wrist curls, etc.). That is just me, however, and you will probably have to experiement to determine how much is right for you.

Check this site for exercises .... http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/home.html

Also, keep reading the training logs for additional ideas regarding training movements, volume, weight amounts, implements, etc. I too am a newbie, but thanks to this site I have been able to learn alot in a relatively short time.

Have fun!

CJ

What is the typical rest period for the rest of you?

Karl, nice start to your log.

I rest until I feel ready to give another maximum effort, which is usually about 5-10 minutes.

Do you use dexterity balls & run hot water over your hands before you begin, do contrast soaks after you finish, and sleep w/ arctic mittens on?

Edited by odin

I rest 2 min between the gripper singles - that works good for me. 1min is too short but I tend to shorten the rest between singles because I've done this in my normal weightlifting programm for several years - so I always take a look on my watch to rest 2min.

I'm looking forward to your log and: good luck - hope you close the 2# soon!

Burkhard

You need to figure out a plan for progession. Every workout you need to progress.

I tend to rest a little longer as well, maybe 3 mins between sets.

It seems like you have no point where you can aim for an identifiable PR. You could alternate your workouts between trying for a pr distance on your #2 and a pr overcrush/reps on your #1. Slowly filing down your #1 would also help if its easy and if these are the only three grippers you have.

Also, Is this workout for both hands? If so, make sure you don't let your weaker hand hold your stronger hand back by trying to hit the same reps for each...

Do your goal gripper attempt after your warmup. This way you can judge exactly where you are.

File the crap outta your #1. BTR is a vauable tool.

Get some tweeners. I used a Master.

Take as much time in between singles as possible. After all, we are going for strength not a pump.

Now go forth and develop a plan, and kick it in the ass!

-HH

Bill what are some good ways to guage progress workout to workout? With stuff like negs, overcrushes etc. its hard to tell if your progressing. What are some things we can do each workout to gueage progress?

Aeroman,

You might want to try doing some other kindof exercise inbetween your gripper sets. I do all my barbell work inbetween my grip exercises it's a way to force you to get some rest between gripper sets ;)

Jon@han

Bill what are some good ways to guage progress workout to workout? With stuff like negs, overcrushes etc. its hard to tell if your progressing. What are some things we can do each workout to gueage progress?

There's

Reps (I like em most people don't)

Timed holds

Strap holds

You can do reps with overcrushes, negatives or no set closes too to gauge progress on those.

Filing and doing any of the above work well too, file a little at a time and work your way up.

You could make an adjustable gripper, instructions on Tom Black's website www.bigsteel.iwarp.com are simple enough I have three such grippers, also mooinabc1 has a new way to make adjustable grippers that he won't share with anyone else...

also, Plate loaded grip machine, ISG, working up to 3-2 finger closes, inverted closes if that sorta thing works for you...

3-25-04

Today I did severe negatives with my plate loaded gripper. I interspersed it with my barbell workout. After every set with the barbell I did a severe negative, fighting it all the way out each time. On my machine I started with 50 lbs. I am guessing that's about equal to a number 2 1/2 COC. I have it set up for beyond the range but still need to grind more off. I am starting a beginner olympic lifting program. There were a total of 19 sets of cleans, split jerks, military presses, GHR, and some other stuff I can't remember now. I am going to do attempts on my #2 about once a week instead of every workout. The severe negatives started off pretty easy but about the last 5 I felt like I was just dropping them most of the way down. Next workout I will probably add a few more reps. I was actually pretty sore afterward.

Karl

3-26-04

This is my in between crushing workout workout.

3 x 8 plate curls (weight too embarassing to list)

thick barbell curls " " 3 sets of 3

thick dumbbell lift. Got 115 just off the floor with 2 3/8" bar

3-27-04

22 severe negs with each hand with modified secret weapon with 50lbs ~ to a COC 2 1/2 in between sets of snatches, overhead squats, front squats, good mornings and situps. Negatives were slightly easier this time.

3 x 8 plate curls (weight too embarassing to list)

22 severe negs with each hand with modified secret weapon with 50lbs ~ to a COC 2 1/2

aeroman, You should list it, so you and others can see how much you improve later. All of us have lifts we are weaker at. There are a lot of people lurking who cannot approach what you are doing. With all those heavy SW negatives, you certainly must be willing to work hard enough.

Is someone helping you learn the Olympic lifts, or are you figuring it out on your own? I am starting to get interested in trying them.

Edited by odin

3-29-04

More SW severe negatives. Moved up to 51 1/2lbs and 20 reps with each hand. Had trouble concentrating on holding for my goal of 5-10 seconds each. Maybe not enough rest between reps. On the 3-27-04 workout I forgot to say that I bent about 15-20 40d nails at the end of the other exercises.

The plate curls were with only 20lbs.

The thick bar curls were with 85lbs.

As far as the Olympic lifts go, I am teaching myself. There is no way I could afford to lift at a gym with a coach. I study video clips I find on the internet, of the different lifts, and read and try to follow the descriptions as well. I personally think it is a fun way to lift and is more of an all-body workout. I sweat profusely in my 56 degree basement, whereas with a powerlifting type of workout I had trouble breaking a sweat at all.

I used to be able to do plate wrist curls with 25lbs but have grown weaker over the last year and need to work back up to that.

Thanks Odin and others for the input and support,

Karl

Feel free to post oly workouts and questions too! There are lots of olympic lifters on this board that can help you with technique issues since you don't have a coach.

Also, with the 20lb plate curls, I think everyone starts there. I even did a couple sets with 15 before, but the 25 pounder comes quickly enough...

3-31-04

Since I was outside washing the cars I grabbed the 6lb sledgehammer and levered it side to side for a couple of sets with each hand before going in to do SW severe negatives. For some reason my left wrist clicks real hard at the point where the palm is facing up and the hammer is out to the side. Kind of unnerving. Then I went in and did 15 reps with my SW each hand with 52 1/2lbs and finished with 5 reps of severe negs with my #3. I actually feel a little bit stronger. It's nice to move up in weight over the last few days and not get weaker. I hurt my foot so there won't be any other lifting for a week or so.

Karl

4-3-04

Warm up with 2 x 5 on trainer and about 2or 3 singles with a filed #1.

Two attempts on #2 each hand. Each hand about 3/4" away.

Alternated 10lb strap holds with filed trainer and overcrushes with filed #1 - 5 of each with each hand.

Did 3x2 overhand chins with 2 3/8" pvc slid over 1" chinup bar. These rotate easily and are slippery.

Wrists and hands sore for some reason. Will probably go back to severe negatives next workout.

Karl

4-5-04

Did 15 severe negatives with 55lbs on secret weapon between sets of my regular workout. Due to lack of sleep and a foot injury I cut back on my workout.

Snatch pull 5x6 185lbs

overhead squats 5x6 95lbs (balance is the toughest part of this for me, standing up is easy)

back squats 2x12 135lbs

back extensions 1x12 (these hurt for some reason, maybe from limping on my bad foot all week)

weighted situps 2x12 15lbs behind neck.

After this I decided to do some reps with my trainer and #1 but slid my hand about an inch closer to the spring. I couldn't believe how much tougher this made it. I think I only fully closed my filed #1 once with my right hand. Does anybody else use their gripper like this?

Karl

4-8-04

I split my workout into two parts. In the afternoon I did my grip stuff and in the evening I did my barbell workout.

Grip: 5 singles with the trainer

5 singles with the #1

2 attempts on the #2 - made about 1/8" progress on my right hand since last attempt. A little less on the left hand.

15 severe negatives with 55lbs on secret weapon.

Edited by aeroman

4-10-04

Plate curls (concentration style) warmup, 3 x 8 with 20lbs, 2 x 5 with 25lbs. All smooth plates. The 25 was two 10's and a 5. Wrist roller with 65lbs. This was fairly easy. Did three sets until fatigued. Reverse wrist curls 3 x 5 with 65lbs. Fat bar curls 2 x 5 with 85lbs. Bent about 20 40d nails. 7 times with two nails at a time and the rest singles.

4-12-04

Warmed up with sledgehammer deadlifts. Worked up to getting my hands to about 18" from the head for a level deadlift. Did 15 severe negatives with each hand on my secret weapon. I moved up to 56 1/2lbs and also ground about 1/8" off the handle for even more BTR. After reading some more about JK I was inspired to go farther into the pain of each rep. Since starting these I now know why so many people soak their hands. My bones feel like they are pulling apart.