When Tetting's Certification Comes Around...

Bob Lipinski

Thats a good point Bill. When I use chalk on the grippers thought there is a big difference in my perfromance. I look at it like not being able to use tacky on the atlas stones. All those guys were throwing the fifth one up in 2002. No tacky in 2003 and the fifth stone stayed on the ground a lot more.

You guys must want to use chalk for some reason

Perspiration is the reason (as for me). It is not to make it easier for ME :

1) First i don't plan to use Tetting's certification. It will probably concern US residents only anyway.

2) If everybody is allowed to use chalk then it's fair for everyone.

Now why not allowing chalk ?

If it is just to make things harder you can ask people to close the gripper behind their back, for example. I'm still looking for a good reason to not allow chalk...

Whats the difference if everyone uses chalk of doesn't use chalk. If no one uses chalk then everyone has the same diadvantage. Like I said before no chalk will make it harder and more pure test of functional hand strength.

Why would being able to use chalk make it fair to everyone?

If no one uses chalk then everyone has the same diadvantage

Matt, seriously that is not the case : not everybody has perspiration problems !

Why would being able to use chalk make it fair to everyone?

Because it doesn't make it unfair to anyone lol

Is there any good reason for not allowing chalk indeed ?  :erm

You guys must want to use chalk for some reason. Probably because it makes it EASIER. Under his rules this will be a hard way of doing things. I talked with him last night and the gripper spread will go by hand size. Starting with master on up. I think with no set, chalk and a spread that is in coralation witht your hand size may surprise some of you. Especially the guys with the big paws. My hands are about 8 3/8 and he told me I will get a gripper with a 3'' spread. Within time there will be some type of a chart that tells how wide your gripper will be for your hand size.

I love this. I can't wait.

I agree with amaury...some of us are just really damn greasy and sweaty :)

If I try to pick up my 25lbs hex block weight I can only get about 3 reps till my hand starts to slip, it's not that I can't break it off the ground after 3 reps just that half way up all of a sudden the block weight is on the ground but my grip didnt give out? This occurs even if I dry my hands with a towel before the lift. If i chalk my hands I can get the york 40lbs blob and the 25 hex for multiple reps w/ just my ring finger. I really don't think chalk is doubling my strength but rather giving me a clean dry surface to work off of.

I think some effect hand cleaning solution just prior to the attempt will do the trick.

If chalk is not allowed, is tacky? BWAH!

How about Dry Hands solution? It's not chalk.

Sorry guys I don't know what to tell you if you have a sweating problem. The only thing is to dry off good before the attempt. It isn't perfect to everyone but I think a lot better than anthing else. The main reason is hand size is taken into account.

I think the Table No Set (TNS) without chalk and using measured grippers is great. Why? Because it's different than MM or IM. How boring would it be to have 3 certs that were all the same? As I see it, in chronological order:

IronMind Certification

• Inconsistent Grippers -
  • Hand-size biased -
  • Changing Rules -
  • Inconsistent standards (did someone mention Heath?) -
  • International Recognition / Name on IM Site / Name in Milo +
  • Certificate +
  • T-Shirt +

Mash Monster Certification

• Consistent Grippers +
  • Democratic Creation of Rules +
  • Consistent Rules +
  • Evidence Required +
  • Tests hardest part of gripper using chalk for consistency +
  • Gripboard Recognition / Name/Profile on Site / Interview on Bodybuilding.com +
  • Certificate +

Warren Tetting Certification

• Consistent Grippers ?
  • Grippers adjusted to hand size+
  • Consistent Rules +
  • Evidence Required ?
  • Most functional (real world) test of the 3 certs +
  • Hard as Hell! +
  • Certificate ?
  • Recognition ?

Not the end all/be all list, just my quick observations. Please let me know if I've left anything out.

I like Tetting's plan. Now one armed griptrainers will have a chance to certify.

I am surprised he is bothering with the BBSM, though. I doubt any current #3 closers will miss no-set closing the BBSM.

If the gripboard started a separate no-set MM pyramid, I would be more interested in aiming for that as a goal.

I may be the only one objecting to Warren's ideas of a fair certification for all hand sizes but how on earth is this going to be truly fair? Every increase in width has to be countered precisely by a decrease in spring depth or wire size (which is basically impossible to do with the desired accuracy). A logistical nightmare. I hope he succeeds though. It will be interesting to do a bivariate analysis of hand size vs numbers of successful certifications, assuming we have a nice Bell curve distribution of hand sizes lining up for Warren's certificate.

I may be the only one objecting to Warren's ideas of a fair certification for all hand sizes but how on earth is this going to be truly fair? Every increase in width has to be countered precisely by a decrease in spring depth or wire size (which is basically impossible to do with the desired accuracy). A logistical nightmare. I hope he succeeds though. It will be interesting to do a bivariate analysis of hand size vs numbers of successful certifications, assuming we have a nice Bell curve distribution of hand sizes lining up for Warren's certificate.

I think he is going to attempt matching closing strength on the grippers, but it would be easier to just have everyone certify on 2.5" wide grippers. Unlike the MM, this is not a contest, so it won't matter so much if he is of by 10% or whatever.

I am not sure I really get the difference between allowing a say 1.5' set and having grippers fitting our hand size.??

I agree with Mikael on the difficulty of making this really functionnal.

curious.

also agree with Amaury on the chalk issue:

- no chalk: not everyone is equal

- chalk: everyone is equal

Edited by the swiss

I am not sure I really get the difference between allowing a say 1.5' set and having grippers fitting our hand size.??

I agree with Mikael on the difficulty of making this really functionnal.

curious.

also agree with Amaury on the chalk issue:

- no chalk: not everyone is equal

- chalk: everyone is equal

Does chalk help with a no-set? I end up sliding my fingers over the top handle during the close, and I don't even try to make the bottom handle sit high on my palm the way it does when set.

RSW

I find that a little chalk helps keep the handle in my palm from slipping during a no set.

However, one can just ensure the hands are dry. Alcohol based hand sanitizer will get your hands dry. Mabey some of us sweaty gripsters should give it a whirl.

-HH

I may be the only one objecting to Warren's ideas of a fair certification for all hand sizes but how on earth is this going to be truly fair? Every increase in width has to be countered precisely by a decrease in spring depth or wire size (which is basically impossible to do with the desired accuracy). A logistical nightmare. I hope he succeeds though. It will be interesting to do a bivariate analysis of hand size vs numbers of successful certifications, assuming we have a nice Bell curve distribution of hand sizes lining up for Warren's certificate

"Pandering" to hand size is a major problem for EXACTLY this reason, IMO.

seems odd he will not allow chalk. However, I find that chalk is not nearly as helpful on a no set as it is with a set so it may not be that big of a deal.

Right now there are people thinking about how they can get away with lying to Warren about their hand size so they can get narrower grippers that are easier to no-set

And right now there are people on the board who are already suspicious of other people's certifications, even though none have happened.

And right now both sides are building up their bodies of evidence to prove their point, and building alliances against others.

The rumor mill is starting! Run away! Run away!

*This tongue in cheek post was brought to you by Round Table and Smirnoff Ice.*

A logistical nightmare. I hope he succeeds though.

Based on what I have experienced and the work involved, I am watching with interest on this particular point. More power to Warren though.

I just hope he gets his web site up with credit card ordering. :mosher

My hands are now less than 8'' :tongue I will deal with the no chalk rule by applying dry British humour. I do not see Tetting's certification as being feasible, but good luck to him he is an important figure in the history of grippers, and I hope he makes some good money out of all this.

My hands are now less than 8''  I will deal with the no chalk rule by applying dry British humour. I do not see Tetting's certification as being feasible, but good luck to him he is an important figure in the history of grippers, and I hope he makes some good money out of all this.

The humour must be Bona Fide English, though, as I have found that "Foreign" senses of humour can be a little slick... :D

I too hope Warren does well, although I do not see the point of changing the gripper size.

My hands are now less than 8'' :tongue

??? :blink

John... did your hands suddenly shrink? That's not good... :(