Want To Find Out Who Is The King Of Crush?

Clay Edgin

I once tried a dyno and came out with a number approximately 20 per cent higher than that of another #3 closer. In spite of this he kicked my ass in no-set-closes (same hand size, both 8''). It was also relatively easy to cheat with as we found out later playing around with it. I think Mobster got a relatively mediocre number at the last IronGrip Championship in spite of being able to close hard grippers. Extremely boring device I must say. Nothing happens so to speak.

On the french dyno that david owns please Mikeal I did come second overall. :dry

That will soon be a long and distant memory Steve. I've done some training this time ;)

Clay, I might add that the greatest features of the dynamometer are: 1. That it can be adjusted for hand size. 2. That it is extremely accurate. It's true that you can cheat on it by sharply jerking it but that problem is overcome by having others observe to see that the needle doesn't jump. Sorry Mobster, that bracing doesn't count. Try it again without bracing--I'm sure that you're going to go well over 100 kg with it. Just get some witnesses of someone of David Horne's caliber. I also understand that Nathan Holle has done 125 kg but I understand that his arm was in a down position so doesn't qualify according to the way it's supposed to be done--which according to the mfr. and general medical practice either with the elbow bent and stable against one's side or held out with no sharply jerking movements.

The dynamometer that I use is the Baseline 300 which goes up to 300 lb or 137 kg in one kg increments. It also has five size adjustments for hand size--the smallest adjustment is small enough that I've had 5-year olds do it and even younger. The biggest size is big enough for anyone. Mobster's quite right that dynos vary a bit from brand to brand just as hand grippers do, but they are very consistent within a given brand. The reaon I picked Baseline is that it has a model that goes up to 300 lb, because a few strong guys would exceed the limits of most dynos that only go up to 100 kg or 220 lb. Even though Baselines list for $320 plus shipping, I can get them for you for a lot less. RB makes an excellent dyno but I believe he wants $500 to $600 including shipping from Austria. In fact I can get those for you too at a small discount. I'll have mine Sunday at the Stronman at Pacific, California, for anyone that wants to give it a try. :D So far the highest I've personally seen is David Brown 107 kg, Clay Edgin 100 kg a few months ago, but who just told me he did 111 kg last weekend with Gorilla Hands and Michael Wayne as witnesses. Also Mike Smith 100 kg, Ron Mazza 100 kg. Nobody I've tested with it finds it boring--there's hardly any sweep at all--and I usually attract a small crowd wherever I take it--like to Highland Games and Weightlifting Championships. :D

I would have thought, due to the fact that anyone can have a go and immediately see how they are doing that, if anything, it would bring a bigger crowd than just using grippers. Which ARE kind of boring if you know nothing about them.

I you lay out 5 different brands of dynos and 5 different brands of grippers and ask a number of people to try you would find that the grippers, regardless of brand, produced the same relative rating of the competitors with only very very minor variations, whereas the dynos would produce quite a variety of ratings of the competitors. Some people being good with one dyno would perform much worse on another brand. Just ask Mobster who does well with the RB dyno but was beaten by eight people in the last IronGrip championship on David Horne's old dyno, including Arne Persson who is light years away from Mobster on the RB dyno.

Tis true. Lighter and weaker people handed me my ass on the dyno we used in the 2003 comp with only my final effort pushing me to ok. On the RB I was, even unbraced, getting well over 100 kg - respectable (I think there's a thread started last year all about it). On the Iron Grip unit I think my best effort was a 2-hand 400lbs or thereabouts and the winning amount around 700+. Average was 500-600 with Liz and several of the intermediate guys easily beating me.

The reason why dynos can be good is that no matter who you are and once they have been adjusted for hand size, everyone can see exactly how strong you are on that machine. If I had been allowed to 2 hand squeeze the RB I'd have one, I wasn't and was soundly beaten! :blink

Maybe a member has a Baraban dyno they can take to the AOBS?

If I go I will bring mine other wise I can send it to someone and they can bring it :D

I have tried dynos in the past and did better than I have ever done since then on grippers. I have come across them at health fairs and at a human performance exhibition whch had a dyno that kept a record of the best reading to date.