Want To Find Out Who Is The King Of Crush?

Clay Edgin

If we truly want to find out who is the undisputed king of crush without any argument about set depths, "easy" grippers, hand size, etc., then I suggest we all head to your local chiropracter's office and squeeze a dyno unbraced without jerk. There ya go - crystal clear numbers.

It would be cool if we had a dyno squeeze club with the requirements being that a hydraulic dyno was used and would be similar to the wrist curl weight clubs (200, 250, 300). We'd have the 200lb club, 210, 220, etc. Not everyone has a hydraulic dyno, but nearly everyone has a chiropracter in their town.

Well I did that 132 kilo crush on the RB dyno with my free hand bracing the bottom last year - does that count - am I king yet?? :tongue

If that was an unbraced squeeze, then yes!

Clay

Good idea but it would need an identicle dyno as the RB dyno is way harder than most other dynos.

A dyno strapped to a table were you just squeeze with one hand would be perfect,this was a thought that Robert Baraban had a long time ago about measureing crushing strength,and would like the MMgripper process yeild the

best results.

Quility and control is the way to go all the time,as well as competition,these are the only true ways to find out who is the best.

The Chiro would then bill my insurance for $500.00

John, you could buy a top-of-the-line dyno for about 400 bucks!! :D:laugh

The Chiro would then bill my insurance for $500.00

John, you could buy a top-of-the-line dyno for about 400 bucks!! :D:laugh

Will you be selling them soon? ;):D

Will you be selling them soon? ;):D

I am in the market to BUY one.

I have this "urge" to buy a good one, take it to the upcoming AOBS and test everyone there. Then, I'd put the results here on this forum!! ;):)

Last year, Oldtimer (Dale Harder) did take his dyno to the AOBS dinner and tested several professional strength athletes and others interested. The problem, I've been told, is that sometimes big fish don't want to get shown up by smaller fish in any respect. And sometimes those big fish won't try the dyno at all.

I'm actually kind of surprised that only one other person takes this idea seriously.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Clay,

I've got the same dyno that you do (according to Porkbone) and I also feel that dynos are the great equalizer of grip. There's no cheating, they are all calibrated to within + or - 1KG or less so mine matches yours, and the 200lb models match the 300lb ones and they also match the RB one and so on. There is some technique, but after a few tries, people figure out the best way to do it, unlike grippers.

If I ever run a contest, I'd definitely include a dyno portion. I think it's a damned good idea.

Same here Ian. I am thinking of putting together a contest here this summer and would love to have the dyno squeeze as part of the contest.

I can understand why Dynos do not have the same "thrill" as a gripper to some people (no nice "click" when you close it) but they do seem to take ALL the hassle out of comparison. You can even recalibrate them easily too if necessary.

I once tried a dyno and came out with a number approximately 20 per cent higher than that of another #3 closer. In spite of this he kicked my ass in no-set-closes (same hand size, both 8''). It was also relatively easy to cheat with as we found out later playing around with it. I think Mobster got a relatively mediocre number at the last IronGrip Championship in spite of being able to close hard grippers. Extremely boring device I must say. Nothing happens so to speak.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I once tried a dyno and came out with a number approximately 20 per cent higher than that of another #3 closer. In spite of this he kicked my ass in no-set-closes (same hand size, both 8''). It was also relatively easy to cheat with as we found out later playing around with it. I think Mobster got a relatively mediocre number at the last IronGrip Championship in spite of being able to close hard grippers. Extremely boring device I must say. Nothing happens so to speak.

Considering the negativity of nearly all of your recent posts that I've read, I'm really surprised that you would make a comment like this ;) . Yes, they're not the most exciting devices, but no you can't cheat on them if they are done unbraced and without jerking with your arm at your side. Obviously doctors and physical therapists would not use them if they weren't accurate and consistent.

Besides, your argument only supports using dynos. Obviously you were 20% stronger than the other COC, but because of his technique and/or biomechanical factors, he was better at the #3. That's all good and fine, but you were 20% stronger than him, no question.

Also, Clay is not talking about having a dyno tournament, he's just saying that it would be nice to have one event that would be a pure test of hand strength, one where people couldn't argue about sets, hand size, technique, and all of the other arugments about grippers, RT, etc.

What is the "spread" on a dyno? Or are they adjustable? Just trying to figure out how hand size and sweep vs. closing strength affect dyno numbers.

Come to think of it, someone needs to invent a gripper with adjustable width handles. That way you could go as wide as you wanted to work out, and you could adjust the spread to 2 inches or whatever for an official certification.

The dyno that I was able to toy with had an adjustable handle. You could move the handle in or out to account for various hand sizes. My only concern is that there would need to be some sort of guideline or standard for which portion of the close we are targeting. For instance, some people are stronger in the sweep and others in the crush. Perhaps the highest number is all that matters. Just a thought.

And yes, squeezing the dyno is certainly boring, but it does quantify ones hand strength. Provided of course that all dynos are created equal, which is unlikely. Of course this wouldn't be a factor at a comp where the same dyno was used.

Besides, your argument only supports using dynos. Obviously you were 20% stronger than the other COC, but because of his technique and/or biomechanical factors, he was better at the #3. That's all good and fine, but you were 20% stronger than him, no question.

No question? So there are no biomechanical factors to consider in squeezing a dyno? So at a given dyno setting all angles between the articulated bones in the hand would be identical at all hand sizes (i.e., the pre-determined setting would be ideal for all competitors, rather than some being stronger with the handles a little closer or further apart)? I wish life was as simple as it is in your world.

I would love to see a Gripboard dyno, no bracing, no jerking and members can set the handles wherever they want to accomodate everyone. I think this would be an extremely accurate way of measuring who has the strongest crush.

Boring... maybe but it would give an accurate reading without bringing the handsize and set width dilemmas into play. I think an "unlimited gripper class" would end a lot of the squabbling too. Members try to close the toughest gripper they can. They can set it as deep as they want, brace against their leg on the set, whatever, but the gripper must be VISIBLY closed one handed so if someone decides they need to set it to 1/32" and the judge can't see it then they get DQ'ed. No holding the spring or wrist, etc.. No tacky allowed. Of course I don't think either of these will work until we can all agree on a common definition of crush. Some think it's the maximum amount of crushing force one exerts over approx. 3 inches bringing their sweep argument into play, others just feel its how much crushing pressure you can exert at your most favorable distance, Factor in peoples' different handsizes and we have a mess.

I like the idea, Clay. I also don't think the dynos are all THAT boring. They might lack some of the flare of the Inch DB but they sure are a lot easier to transport! I have wanted to get one since trying Porkbone's ... maybe I finally will?

Mike M.

On the french dyno that david owns please Mikeal I did come second overall. :dry

Besides, your argument only supports using dynos.  Obviously you were 20% stronger than the other COC, but because of his technique and/or biomechanical factors, he was better at the #3.  That's all good and fine, but you were 20% stronger than him, no question.

No question? So there are no biomechanical factors to consider in squeezing a dyno? So at a given dyno setting all angles between the articulated bones in the hand would be identical at all hand sizes (i.e., the pre-determined setting would be ideal for all competitors, rather than some being stronger with the handles a little closer or further apart)? I wish life was as simple as it is in your world.

Sounds like you're having a bad day :happy