Updated Table And Overall Lower Arm Workouts

ianders1

Ok, it's been awhile, but I know some people have asked if I was ever going to update it, and here it is, slightly updated from last time:

My Table

As for the synergy comment, yes, there is no need to train each and every muscle function as they do overlap. Below I've put together 2 workouts from this table, taking synergy into account.

Here's what I percieve as a good workout for overall strength, using only dynamic exercises:

Forearm/Wrists

• Sledge Hammer Rotations (both directions)
  • Wrist Roller (forward and reverse)
  • Twist Yo Wrist (forward and reverse)

Fingers

• Dexterity Balls (All of Brookfield's Exercises)
  • Grippers (No Set)
  • Upside-down Titan's Telegraph Key
  • Opening Hand in Sand

Thumbs

• Dexterity Balls (Already Worked)
  • Opening Hand in Sand (Already Worked)
  • Titan's Telegraph Key / "Pony" Clip

using only static exercises:

Forearm/Wrists

• Curls (Straight Bar) / Plate Curls / Brick Lifts
  • Reverse Curls (Straight Bar)
  • Hammer Curls
  • Kickbacks / Pullovers

Fingers

• Block Weights
  • Plate Pinches (one plate for narrow grip) / Sand Bag Work
  • Thick Bar Work
  • Jar Lifts /Outer Limits Loops

Thumbs

• Jar Lifts /Outer Limits Loops (Already Worked)
  • Thick Bar Work(Already Worked)
  • Block Weights (Already Worked)
  • Plate Pinches (one plate for narrow grip) / Sand Bag Work (Already Worked)

Obviously a combination of the 2 works best, and static exercises emphasize heavy weights to stress tendons and take longer to recover from, while dynamic exercise work a larger range of motion and stress the muscles more than the tendons because of the lower weights that are used.

Very nice!

Thats a hell of a chart you put together. Nice work.

Thanks guys :blush I took a orthopaedic text and used that as a basis since it defined the 16 functions of the forearms, wrists, fingers, and thumb. I then used my knowledge to figure out which exercise did what, and then separated them by static and dynamic. Of course none of them are purely static, but the ones I put in that category are more limited in their ROM and more useful for using heavier weights to strengthen the tendons.

landers,

nice work bro. could you explain the difference bettween static and dynamic? also all i have as far as bars go are thick handled bars is this good or bad? thanks

landers, also are those pics.on "my table" used for hand health.

P.S. nice table............

also all i have as far as bars go are thick handled bars is this good or bad?

I think its good. With a thick bar you will be training your grip with each exercise.

Matt,

The way I'm defining these as static and dynamic is as follows:

Dynamic is any exercise where there is significant movement in the joints and the muscles are contracted over a partial to full range of motion.

Static is any exercise where the muscle is contracted and held at a constant angle with little to no movement.

As an example, think of brick lifts vs. wrist curls. Both work the forearms and wrists. Brick lifts allow you to use a lot of weight and because the muscles don't move the stress is placed primarily on the tendons. With wrist curls, you can't use as much weight (proportionately), but the exercise works the whole range of motion and places greater stress on the muscles because of this. Of course you can do negatives with wrist curls to place a greater emphasis on the tendons.

They both have their place in training, and you should try to work both, but static exercises, like negatives take longer to recover from.

landers, thanks bro, that makes alot of sense........... :D