Pda Thunderball

Patrik_F

It's a good piece of equipment for what it's used for and the price. But, I still don't like the plastic part of it.

From experience, the Crusher is very nice. Solid steel. I would prefer it over the RT.

The surprising contest results and shock of competitors provide insight into this.

Contests?

The surprising contest results and shock of competitors provide insight into this.

Contests?

I thought I remembered a few surprises when the RT was used at a couple contests. One, the weights were way down with everyone being surprised and I think Wade reported on it. My memory is crap these days so I could be all wet.

i have one of clay's rollin handles. i love it. well worht the few extra bucks

Wasn't it the contest with Josh Bigger in it? The winning weight was like 215 or something incredibly light like that for Odd Haugen. Some of the other very strong competitors couldn't get the opener at like 200 even though they had lifted 220+ before on older RTs.

Yeah the crusher is really good! I think it comes down to wether the look or feel of the implement matters to you and not just its functionality. If the plastic RT feels crappy in your hand then maybe mentally you won't be able to get up for training with it as hard. I'd pay a few extra bucks for something stout but that's just me.

Atomic Athletic certainly isn't known for cutting corners on equipment just to make it a little cheaper, I doubt their products will have plastic handles any time soon ;)

I cant imagine paying 150+ bucks for a rolling handle when the rolling thunder does the job just fine. I havent tried Clays handle either but it looks just as good as the pda model and its way less money. I like what John Beatty is doing with his equipment as well. No reason to charge what some people are charging and John is doing a great Job of keeping them down. Also on the mixed numbers at contests, there are a ton of other factors besides the actuall implement used. Temp, humidiy, chalk used or not used etc. can make a huge difference. We have had different numbers on the same handle depending on the day. Just my 2 cents but go with Clays or the rolling thunder or even the crusher!

I cant imagine paying 150+ bucks for a rolling handle when the rolling thunder does the job just fine. I havent tried Clays handle either but it looks just as good as the pda model and its way less money. I like what John Beatty is doing with his equipment as well. No reason to charge what some people are charging and John is doing a great Job of keeping them down. Also on the mixed numbers at contests, there are a ton of other factors besides the actuall implement used. Temp, humidiy, chalk used or not used etc. can make a huge difference. We have had different numbers on the same handle depending on the day. Just my 2 cents but go with Clays or the rolling thunder or even the crusher!

Interesting that you and Austin Slater have the same exact IP address and you seldom post and come from left field to post in this thread.

Maybe Austin can explain?

Is it possible he used Austin's computer to post? It's not uncommon for members to have different usernames but post from the same computer.

Bill We had this discussion before, we work together and there are 700 computers all from the same ip. Not understanding what you mean by left field. He has tried all the implements and gave his opinion. Thanks!

Austin

Wasn't it the contest with Josh Bigger in it? The winning weight was like 215 or something incredibly light like that for Odd Haugen. Some of the other very strong competitors couldn't get the opener at like 200 even though they had lifted 220+ before on older RTs.

yes it was the Iron Mind,Rolling Thunder nationals.

the handle used that day was described as slick by some ...others said it "spun easier than normal"Josh thoguht it felt"different"in his hand...perhaps larger than normal.I suspect the weights used with the handle were also "off"and all plates would have weighed heavy- as the plates looked like weights from Fred Flinstones gym.

Everybody was way down.Pfister has hit 255,260 unofficially? in a contest and did a 222?

Bigger has hit 290+ in the gym,had done holds for time with 250+ and Tied pfister with about 222.

Haugen OFFICIALLY held the world record in the IM,Rolling Thunder with something around 262#??and he won this contest witha difficult 232.

Pfister couldn't get 232 off the floor-Josh Bigger did...but didn't get a full pull.

Many experinced and very strong grip men could not get the opening weight...Schoonveld was the judge but HE could not get the opening weight in an impromptu attempt.

I may not be remembering correctly but i think even grip monsters like Wade and Karl Gillingham did not get the opening weight??

Admittedly josh had a horrifying day-his strength was down-but that doesn't explain why he was 70lbs down?And-again-Pfister and odd were down 25 to 40lbs also.And all others were way down also.As i remember some went home and did some good lifts after the contest.The contest was definitely a "WTF" scenario.

There is something inconsistant about the RT- they don't "break" but they "wear out"and get gummed up with dust or chalk.Also the inside of the plastic handle gets worn down and rough which makes the Rolling Thunder easier.I dismantled one and this apparently happens with the friction of plastic to steel.Some handles-right out of the box- due to their spin characteristics are harder than others.

However IF you plan on competeing at a national or world level...you should probably get used to the implement.The IM rolling thunder handle.

We have access to many custom pieces of equipment including a revolving steel handles of various thicknesses(which are NOT for sale)which we have farted around on.They ARE different from the RT.

the day of the 'mystery'Rolling Thunder handle Both tied for second place but Pfister could not get the next weight off the floor and Bigger did.I think they split the second and third place money-combined-down the middle.

Bill We had this discussion before, we work together and there are 700 computers all from the same ip. Not understanding what you mean by left field. He has tried all the implements and gave his opinion. Thanks!

Austin

What I meant by left field is his timing. No posts and then he posts out of the blue.

I'd like him to email me at editor@cyberpump.com

Thanks.