Turkish Get Ups

JasonL

Wondering if anyone does this awesome exercise? if so, what weight are you using and what wieght would be a good goal to get up to. I Know myself have worked up to a 70pd DB for 3 reps, very brutal..

JasonL

I have just started doing these with my 54lb kettlebell. Great exercise.

Turkish get ups, I mention them whenever abdominal and core exercises pop up here. I was beginning to think no one knew what the hell they were. You read Dinosaur Training by any chance?

I worked up to a 90lbs. single, I think I'll be ready for 110lbs. next time. The 90lbs. was preceded by triples at 60, 70, and 80. It was each side too, the last few lefts took some caution. I think I'll be ready to do a body weight TGU in half a year give or take a month.

You two are doing well, I know most people can't do much of anything with 45lbs. dumbell. I'd image your 54lbs. kettlebell is harder than a dumbell of equal weight.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

I have never done the get up with a DB-though rumor has it Jedd Johnson is bad ass when it comes to these.

I have recently added get-ups to my routine, but I do them a little different. I use a keg full of water. I sit on the ground and roll the keg up to my lap. I then lay flat and bring it up to my chest. This is the starting position. From here I do a sit-up. I then use my leg and arms to pop the keg over to eithe my right or left shoulder. I then use the free hand and my entire body to get rolled over onto my knees. From there, I stand up with the keg on one shoulder.

The goal is to never let the keg touch the ground.

My whole core has been fried this week-back, abs, hips, etc.

Rick Walker :rock

Sounds awsome Rick, I'm going to have to do that with our chicken feed barrles!

Do you put your other arm on the floor when trying to 'Get up'?

The way I have always been told to do it is w/o putting hands on floor at all. Am not 100% though.

I put my free hand on the floor and use it to help a bit, but I never let it do the work. I'll have to try it without next time, see if it is worth doing.