Softball Device As A Block Weight

python

I have a question in the book Mastery of Hand Strength Brookfield suggests using a softball with a hook screw in it to lift weights to develop your hands. Would using it develop the hands the same way as a block weight would? What specifically does it develop? crushing or? Curious since it is large for my hands anyway and you can always add weight to it feels like it would be benefical. Please give input on this. Thanks

python

I think the softball method (I have a 10lb & a 7lb lead ball which have a closed hook in them) is similar to a pinch block, but hits the muscles a bit differently since the fingers are slightly bent when gripping the ball.

Since mine are two different sizes, I will (I think) be fortunate to get just a bit more variety and this will help to build my all-round strength. I am trying to find a way to cover them before I use them because of a comment that another GB member made about regular contact with lead.

In short, go for it.

CJ

cjcocn, that is a good question. I have made the softball and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. I'm not sure exactly what strength the softball develops, but I think it is good for overal hand health and strength.

One question I do have about it though, that maybe someone more experienced or with more knowledge can answer, is wat is the difference it makes with the way that you hold the softball during the lift? For instance you can hold the ball with your palm facing the floor, or, you can hold the ball with you palm perpendicular to the floor. See what I'm saying?

I wonder if there is one more correct, or more beneficial, way than the other?

Sorry if maybe I only have more questions rather than answers. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. I can tell you that I recommend the softball with the hook as I use it all the time.

I have found that the softball has greatly improved my hub lifting strength. I felt general hand strength being developed as well as finger strength. Holding it with your palm perpendicular will make the exercise easier, so you will want to grab the softball so that your palm faces the floor.

This will really strengthen your thumb as well as all your fingers. Hope this helps

-Viking-