Joel Sward

David Ostlund

I'm now working out with Joel three times a week in the weightroom getting ready for strongman contests this summer. I'm just amazed at how easily he handles big poudages in training so casually. Last night he did a triple on the back squat with 585 very low with a close stance and high bar position. He then standing strict pressed 250x3 behind the neck. Later we did 1-arm standing presses with a 2.5" DB. He'd never done these before, but on his last set did about 115 for a casual 6 reps. The clean looked like an absolute joke. I'm gonna try to keep pushing him to use more weight on those because I really want to see where he can get to in 3 or 4 months.

Joe,

He hasn't gotten it any further than he did at the Snowman. He hasn't been attempting it that much, but has started working with a 2.5" loadable DB handle. I'm trying to push him in the direction of doing some more grip work. I'll keep you updated.

Cool report.

Always motivating to hear about a crazy strong guys work out.

If you have time post more about his work outs.

Will he be doing the Xtreme strongman Pro/am contest(may 7th) in St.Louis?

Tom,

Joel's next contest is the Azalea festival at the end of April and then he's doing a smaller one in Ohio where the events are good for him and he feel she can qualify for nationals. He might then do the strongest in the west contest with me in Boise this June.

Time for another Joel Sward update:

Monday he squatted 600x5 Olympic style with only a thin belt and knee supports. Last night he standing behind the neck pressed 275 for 3 reps(no leg drive at all). He then did 130x6 (clean once and press) one-arm on a 2.5" DB. He then attempted about 150 on it, got the clean and nearly strict pressed it. I think he may have been burnt because we had just finished 5x3 standing press and then 4x6 one-arm DB press. I'm going to bring my camera to the bendathon Sunday at Jeff P's house. We'll try to coax Joel into C+P'ing the 152 inch replica.

Great report.

Impressive.

Whats up with the 1 arm ,thick bar,DB, clean and press?is there a strongman contest coming up with this as an event??Dont' get me wrong-very cool movement...but the last time they did this as an event-that i recall-was Strongest Man Alive.......

Or does he have other reason for doing this?

It's a good exercise to throw in for shoulders as well as core stability. Like Chris said, it's also good training for the Inch.