Exercises At Gym

CelticWarrior

I belong to a gym and have been doing plate pinch deadlifts, wrist curls, hammer curls, hammer curls with straps, and up-right rows gripping the bar through the squat cushion.

Any other hand/wrist/forearm exercises I can do with the standard gym equipment of plates, barbells, and dumb bells?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, KMB

Thanks for the replies. I usually do my grip lifts on days where I deadlift, at the end. I will work on these suggestions.

Cunny: Can you explain the lever work for me?

Thanks again.

Bar holds also work great, only thing is you feel like your skin is about to get ripped right off once you go above 200lbs :dry I'll usually load it up to 315 or so and wrap a strap or something around to bar for two reasone. One to make it a bit thicker & harder to grip & two to keep the skin on my hands.

Use a bar such as dumbell loaded to one end and raise and lower it using wrist strength only.

Look at ironmind.com under grip you will see some bars they sell for this but you can use an ordinary bar or a sledgehammer.

Hub lifts, I can honestly say that I am the only person in the gym I belong to that does them.

You might also try the "Armwrestlers trio". This is a tri-set of dumbell curls, hammer curls and reverse curls.

Thanks again for all the replies. This has given me a lot more to work on.

DaveKline: Can you tell me what a hub lift is?

Thanks,

CelticWarrior

Place a 45lb plate flat on the floor with the flat side of the plate facing downward. Looking at the centre of the plate, you will see a "hub" just around the hole that the bar goes into. Wrap your fingers around the hub and lift.

I checked the gallery and linked below to the first pic of a hub lift that I found.

http://www.cyberpump.com/gripboard/index.p..._album&album=23

CJ

I'm not sure you should jump to a 45lb plate so quicky, maybe start at a 25 since you have pinched before and work your way up.

You can also try the farmer's walk with an Olympic bar in each hand. It's a lot harder with the Olympic bar, and you can eventually use more weight than the dumbbells in your gym (probably) even go. 135 per hand on the Olympic bar farmer's walk is a good standard to shoot for. Maybe 50 or so feet. Depending on your bodyweight of course. Some people can work up to a lot more. At one of the grip contests I went to it was an event and the distance was something along the line of 66 feet. I only managed 135 pounds in each hand. Matt Graham did 290 per hand (580 total)! That would be a nice goal. :dry

Bar holds also work great, only thing is you feel like your skin is about to get ripped right off once you go above 200lbs :dry I'll usually load it up to 315 or so and wrap a strap or something around to bar for two reasone. One to make it a bit thicker & harder to grip & two to keep the skin on my hands.

Holds are great. I read about them a few years ago where they were described as breathing holds and do them periodically. The way I like to do them is to get a bar loaded mid thigh height and then pick it up double overhand. All you do now is hold it until it literally falls out of your hand.

Pick a poundage that allows for at least 20 deep breaths (about 1 minute). Add as needed. Try it I'm sure you will find it helpful.