Cj's Grip Journey

cjcocn

Hello all

I am new to the grip world, but I bought some CoCs (T-#3) a while back so figured that I had better do something with them (besides, I just ordered the HG set: 100-300).

Weight: 290 lbs

Last regular workout routine: 1997

Grip history: spiking, shovelling, moving rails, etc. ('88-'93)

Other: tried a couple of strongman training movements last year, hub lifted a 45 at that time (went and tried it today and could only start it off the floor).

I have been reading the forum regularly since I registered about a week and a half ago, and today started a routine.

Implements: CoC T - #3; 2 RTs; smooth faced 10s (for 1" bar); smooth one side 10s (for O bar); test weight (adjustable); 10 lb sledge; 2 thick handle DBs; 14' of 1" rope; and a HG set on the way ... and some chalk.

Feel free to comment, suggest, etc. as you see fit. I made up this routine to start off with and will keep it until I determine a change is needed somewhere (via your recommendations is fine!).

NOTE: All movements are done for each hand

Pinch Grip Plate Holds:

2 10s - 15 sec @ 20 lbs

- 20 sec @ 20 lbs

- 20 sec @ 20 lbs

3 10s - 30 sec @ 30 lbs

- 30 sec @ 30 lbs

- 30 sec @ 30 lbs

Store-bought Grippers:

1 X 25 reps

CoC T:

10; 15; 10 reps

CoC #2 (My #1s grew legs :dry ):

1 rep, hold closed 5 secs

Plate curls:

2 10s (1") X 10 reps

2 10s (1") X 10 reps

2 10s (1") X 10 reps

DB Wrist Curls (palms up = PU; palms down = PD):

PU

10 reps @ 40 lbs

10 reps @ 40 lbs

10 reps @ 40 lbs

PD

15 reps @ 20 lbs

15 reps @ 20 lbs

15 reps @ 20 lbs

Sledge:

Sledge head down to upright position (180°) ... done like a half curl, handle held 13" from sledge head

3 X 5 reps

Ins & Outs:

Arm held bent at 45°; starting upright, control it down to the right (so my thumb side is dropping sideways) until almost inverted, then back up and over until the sledge is once more almost inverted ... always in a controlled fashion and handle again held 13" from sledgehead.

Upright to Forehead:

Arm straight out, sledge held upright at end of handle (28" from sledge head), controlled lowering to forehead and pause.

2 X 3 reps

.... passed on third set this time.

Also, I have been doing singles regularly with the #2 (I could not close it a week ago, tho), and if I am feeling good about it I can hit anywhere from 3 - 5 reps (no set).

PS .... I have read quite a bit about the level of strength discussed on this board and all I have to say is ....... :bow

Thanks

CJ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjcocn

• odin

• danegarreau

• chrisof4

Light Day (forearms kinda sore)

Store Bought (SB) Grippers:

10 X 10

CoC T

3 X 10

CoC #2

Partial rep and hold for 10 secs X 4 sets (can only close to about 3/4" today)

CoC T

2 X 10 reps

1 X 10 reps w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

SB Grippers:

1 X 50 reps

NOTE: For holds on grippers I am actually trying to close the gripper (or if closed trying to break it).

When the HG grippers come in, I will drop the #2 on light days until the #2 is a light gripper, or until I feel that some #2 closes will benefit recovery.

That's it for today.

Depending on how I feel throughout the rest of the day, I may try singles with the #2 this evening. Being kinda weak right now, I would rather do singles with the #1 as it is a light day today. The HG grippers will be in this week so will switch then.

CJ

oops .... those plate curls are done as Wrist Plate Curls with my forearm resting on my knee

..... Plate Curls (as in plate curls done with a stiff wrist and bending the arm at the elbow to lift the plate) will not get added in until i pick up some Oly plates.

CJ

PS .... has ne1 tried plate curls done hammer curl style? these are done using an Oly plate with the lip side of the plate facing outward so that you can grip it with your fingertips, keeping the wrist stiff as you hammer curl it. I tried it with a 45 a while back and my fingers were going to start snapping like matchsticks so i did a couple of sets with a 35 instead. I will be adding these to my workout as well within a week or two (gotta find some plates)

(my HG gripper set came in today .... man, that was fast!)

Light Day:

SB Grippers:

approx. 7 sets X 10 reps (i just did these throughout the morning and did not really count sets)

(HG grippers came in this morning and i got them during lunch)

HG 150:

25 sets X 10 reps (it is only 6:00 pm here so will do more throughout the evening)

NOTE: the HG 150 seems quite easy, and i could not get my hands on a CoC #1 to compare. Mine grew legs about 6 months ago (the fact that i didn't really miss them is some indication of how lazy i have been), so i cannot really remember the strength required to close them.

Has anyone compared the CoC #1 to the HG 150? How did they compare?

Thanks

CJ

Feel free to comment, suggest, etc. as you see fit.  I made up this routine to start off with and will keep it until I determine a change is needed somewhere (via your recommendations is fine!).

Great start to your log cjcocn, keep it up. As far as suggestions, I feel reluctant to say much as I am sure you have much more strength training experience than I do. The main things I would suggest are:

1. Add some type of block weights to your routine.

2. Do less extended gripper warmups, perhaps just 1-3 reps with easier grippers, I usually just use a pony clamp for 1-3 reps. Also, I don't think the most successful people with the grippers do a lot of light days.

3. Do some negatives with the grippers.

I am astounded by those plate hammer curls you are doing. Wow!

:bow

Edited by odin

Odin

Thanks for the advice.

I have five cement blocks in the back of my 2WD that I was thinking of using once the snow melted as by that time I should be strong enough to lift and hold them. The only thing that I was not sure of was possibly too much aid in pinch gripping due to their coarseness. I am taking a welding course that starts on Saturday and will try and make a pinch grip implement as my first welding project. I will go for the standard 3" thick X 6" square size and if necessary can make alternate sizes later on.

I will also try and do less volume on the grippers, but really enjoy the feeling that I get when my fingers' tendons and ligaments start to strain. Right now I have only felt those via volume work, but will try and get there with lower, heavier reps. My light days are done with grippers right now because I am not sure how my workouts will affect my forearms, and grippers are the easiest on my forearm muscles. They feel kind of normal right now, so will do another "heavy" (at least for me) workout tomorrow and over time will learn what frequency works best for me, with absolute (ie. no grip work at all) rest days thrown in when recovery needs warrant.

Now that my HGs are in I can really start to focus on negatives as I now have grippers in ranges that will allow me to use a gripper that will not just pop open. I also will get into overcrushes (as I interpret them - KTA Program to come soon) and strap holds.

Thanks for the compliment on the 35s. The guy that showed them to me pounded out some easy (for him) reps with a 45 and I can use the 45s for about 4 reps before form deserts me, so as far as I knew 35s weren't anything special.

NOTE: There are very few guys around here that are into strongman and the more general weightlifters are not necessarily focussed on grip, so I have no real source of comparison other then this forum for now (although hopefully the more I train the more exposure I will have to others that may want to focus on grip).

PS .... there sure are some strong grips on this board!

Here is my second regular workout.

I have added a bit, but did not do any gripper work throughout the day except for some singles with the HG 200 and the HG 250.

Pinch Grip Plate Holds:

3 X 30 sec @ 20 lbs

2 X 30 sec @ 30 lbs

30 sec @ 30 lbs

10 sec @ 40 lbs

8 sec @ 40 lbs

SB Grippers:

3 X 5 reps

CoC T:

2 X 5 reps

HG 150:

3 X 5 reps

CoC #2:

1 rep

2 sets partials (± 1/4" to close), hold 5 secs

HG 250:

3 X partial (±5/16" to close), hold 5 secs RH

3 X partial (±½ “ to close), hold 5 secs LH

HG 300:

3 sets X 1 partial rep (to parallel), hold 5 secs

Plate curls:

3 X 10 reps @ 20 lbs

DB Wrist Curls (palms up = PU; palms down = PD):

PU

3 X 15 reps @ 40 lbs

PD

3 X 15 reps @ 20 lbs

Sledge:

Sledge head down to upright position (180̊) ... done like a half curl, handle held 13" from sledge head

4 X 5 reps

Ins & Outs:

Arm held bent at 45̊; starting upright, control it down to the right (so my thumb side is dropping sideways) until almost inverted, then back up and over until the sledge is once more almost inverted ... always in a controlled fashion and handle again held 13" from sledgehead.

4 X 5 reps

NOTE: Did 3 sets of 5 reps during first posted workout (I just noticed that I missed posting that part)

Upright to Forehead:

Arm straight out, sledge held upright at end of handle (28" from sledge head), controlled lowering to forehead and pause.

1 set X 2 reps

2 sets X 3 reps

.... passed on fourth set this time.

RT (w/ 5 sec holds):

100 lbs

120 lbs

140 lbs

150 lbs

160 lbs (only 3 sec hold R)

170 lbs (barely cleared floor no hold R; 3 sec hold L)

Felt like I had a second wind by the time I reached the RT and am interested in what I can do while fresh. My left is stronger and felt like 5 sec holds were easy until the last hold. I bought the RTs about 6 months ago (2 of them) and only tried it once (yet another testament to my laziness) for 180 lbs each hand.

CJ

Edited by cjcocn

Feel pretty good today, with no real measure of soreness (which I continue to expect after my looong layoff).

Throughout the day I have done a bit over 25 sets of 5 reps on the HG 150. This seems to feel about right as it is nice and easy, yet allows me to at least do something.

PS .... cannot see an absolute rest day in my immediate future, but I am going by feel and it could happen any day.

If I end up needing a rest day it will probably be to give the forearms a break as I subscribe to the theory (as I have read that others on this forum do also) that the hands will adapt to daily work quite readily. My Father passed on when I was five and, as the "man of the house" I tried at a young age to do what I could to help out my Mother (lol ... I still laugh at how I probably did more getting in the way than anything). Anyhow, I grew up cutting wood and hauling water by hand, and my first jobs were in carpentry/light construction, so I have learned by experience that the hands will stay sore for a while then they only get stronger.

LOL .... geez I talk a lot sometimes ... :blush

CJ

LOL .... geez I talk a lot sometimes ... :blush

CJ

IMO, the more detail in these training logs, the better. They aren't like a normal thread that is more like a dialogue with multiple people. I don't think everyone is interested in them, but imagine that the ones who are want to see what others are doing & how well it is working.

LOL .... geez I talk a lot sometimes

I agree with Odin. This is your training log, so you should put as much detail in it as you want. It is great you decided to share it with everyone, but it is still your training log. If you hold back because you don't want others to think it is too long, you will leave out some important stuff.

Now, I should point out that I put some LONG entries in my training log, so it makes sense I would say this. But I figure if people don't want to read them, they don't have to. I started the log for myself, first and foremost. :)

These are a great tool, and whenever I hit a problem, if I am diligent to record it in my training log, it never fails that a fellow gripster will add an entry with some much needed encouragement or advice.

Anyway, now I am rambling, and this isn't even my log. :cool

Keep grippin!

:blush LOL ... before I start, let me clarify that I was NOT a 5 year old Paul Bunyan! I just re-read my post and it sounds like I was quite the little hero! Well, I wasn't, what I meant was that I always felt a responsibility to work at home to help out and that I started as soon as I could. I saw my 5 year old nephew today and started laughing so hard (that's when it hit me about what I had written here) that I had to explain to him that Uncle was just remembering something funny and that I wasn't laughing at him .... LOL.

Anyway .......

04 Mar 2004

Light Day:

HG 150:

20 sets X 5 reps throughout the day (approx).

HG 200:

2 sets X 1 rep

HG 250:

single

CoC #3:

.... didn't feel like a good idea today

Just to play it safe I will leave the grippers at home tomorrow (that's about the only way that I will stay away from them) and will more then likely do my "heavy" workout tomorrow evening.

I forgot to mention it in my first post, but I also have a homemade test weight and two lead balls (not those kind you sick b@st@rds! :inno ), one weighs 7 lbs and the other is 10 lbs. They are for fishing (how, I don't know) and have a closed hook where I can attach weights. Once I figure out where they would fit, I will probably add them to my workouts.

...one weighs 7 lbs and the other is 10 lbs.  They are for fishing (how, I don't know) and have a closed hook where I can attach weights.  Once I figure out where they would fit, I will probably add them to my workouts.

CJ, if you can avoid absorbing the lead (duct tape?), try to find matching lead balls & rotate them in your hands. I would imagine the lead balls are smaller than an iron shotput of the same weight, so you should be able to fit two seven-pounders and maybe even two 10-pounders in one hand. I can comfortably use 2 six-pounders & can barely balance 2 eights; since you are about twice my size, maybe you can handle more, especially if they are smaller? I am going to keep an eye out for the largest ones that will fit my hands (7&5/8" L & 7.75 R).

It sounds like you want to make something like a "bomb", like the one here:

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/files/bomb1.jpg

Edited by odin

Just looked through your log, excellent stuff keep it up!!

I've contemplated going the fishing supply route for heavier balls for use in dexterity/recovery training

Jon@han

Sun, 07 March 2004

Pinch Grip Plate Holds:

3 X 30 sec @ 20 lbs

3 X 20 sec @ 30 lbs

3 X 10 sec @ 40 lbs

0 X 0 sec @ 50 lbs (did not raise it off floor :dry )

SB Grippers:

3 X 5 reps

HG 150:

3 X 5 reps

HG 200:

3 X 1 rep (hold first set closed for 5 secs)

CoC #2:

1 rep

1 rep (1/8" to close), hold 5 secs

1 rep (1/4" to close), hold 5 secs

HG 250:

2 X rep (1/8" to close), hold 5 secs

CoC #3:

2 sets X 1 negative, hold 5 secs

Ladder down grippers (1 rep on each gripper no rest in between):

HG250; CoC#2; HG200; HG 150; HG100; CoCT

DB Wrist Curls:

PU

2 X 15 reps @ 40 lbs

1 X 15 reps @ 50 lbs

1 X 15 reps @ 60 lbs

1 X 09 reps @ 70 lbs

PD

5 X 15 reps @ 20 lbs (I have to find some 2.5 lbs plates)

That's it for now. I have some kinda bug and feel sub-100%, so am pleasantly suprised that I was able to increase some of the movements. I forgot plate curls today and did not realize until I was typing this in. I will have another go at it later on today unless I feel worse then I do now and should be able to complete my workout.

CJ

07 March 2004

HG 150:

5 X 5 reps

08 March 2004

Just the grippers .....

HG 150:

15 X 5 reps (throughout the day)

HG 200:

5 X 1 rep

HG 250:

4 X 1 rep

HG 300:

2 X 1 rep

CoC #2:

1 rep closed

2 X 1 rep partials w/ 5 sec hold

HG 300:

3 X 1 partial (±1/4" to close)

CoC #3:

1 negative (someone tighten this up on me?)

1 almost negative (ow that hurts :whacked !)

Ladder down:

HG 300; HG 250; CoC #2; HG 200; HG 150; HG 100 (partials til HG150)

NOTE: each and every rep hurt today.

It feels like the bones in my hands are bruised. I have my HG 150 with me today and am doing periodic sets of 20 reps. Each rep kinda hurts like the bones in the palm of my hand have taken a beating. When I stop each set I know it will hurt to let go.

On the bright side, I now have two pinch gripping blocks. The small one is 6"H X 6"L X 3"W, and the second one is 8"H X 6"L X 4"W. I will incorporate them into today's workout, either in addition to or in place of my pinch grip plate holds.

PS .... the pain (I think) is the process of my hands toughening up and should be gone within a month at the most.

CJ

09 March 2004

HG150:

15 sets X 20 reps (throughout the day)

Workout:

Pinch Grip Plate Holds:

3 X 30 sec @ 20 lbs

2 X 30 sec @ 30 lbs

3" Pinch Block Lifts w/ 3 sec hold:

30lbs; 50lbs; 60lbs (barely moved it - no real lift); 55lbs; 60lbs (R-3sec; L-2sec); 60lbs; 60lbs (R-3sec; L-1 long sec); 55lbs; 50lbs; 40lbs (5 sec hold)

4" Pinch Block Lifts w/ 3 sec hold:

40lbs

HG 100:

5 reps

HG150:

5 reps

HG 200:

1 rep

CoC #2:

1 negative w/ 20 sec hold

HG250:

HG300:

CoC #3:

1 negative w/ 10 sec hold

With the pinch block holds, I feel it a bit in my hands, but my forearm extensors really come out aching after each hold and I know they are going to hurt even more just after I let go. ;) The 4" pinch block has a couple of burrs that don't feel good scratching across my hand so I will have to grind those down tomorrow.

You may have noted that my training seems broken up and this is the second time that I have skipped plate wrist curls, lever, and RT work. I have also skipped thick bar DB wrist curls today. I plan on doing these tomorrow depending on how my hands/forearms feel. If I have to, I will split up my workout for a while and go every two days, with maybe continued grippers on my off days.

CJ

10 March 2004

Day off today .... these were done throughout the day ...

HG 150:

3 X 5 reps

HG 200:

20 X 1 rep

Tomorrow I will have to take the CoC #2 and the HG 200 to see which feels better. The CoC #2 would have been better for singles as it is a bit heavier than my HG 200.

PS ... still hurts to close grippers today, but no worse than yesterday. Also, my lack of a workout today is due to life's little nuances as I felt good enough to train today.

CJ

11 March 2004

CoC #2:

30 singles, hold ±3 secs for a reason (throughout the day)

Workout:

Plate Wrist Curl:

4 sets X 15 reps at 20 lbs

2 sets X 15 reps at 30 lbs (3 - 10's, clamped)

DB Wrist Curl PU:

1 set X 15 reps @ 30 lbs

1 set X 15 reps @ 40 lbs

1 set X 15 reps @ 50 lbs

1 set X 15 reps @ 60 lbs

DB Wrist Curl PD:

5 sets X 15 reps @ 20 lbs.

Didn't make the sledge and RT today. I will take 1 or possibly 2 absolute days off with no grip work whatsoever.

I finally found the Contrast Bath instructions so that is what I will do tonight and at least once a day for the following two days. My hands and forearms are totally fried and every rep on the grippers today was held for about 3 secs because it hurt too damn much when I let it go (yeah, yeah, I'm a wuss :tongue ). I seem to be at the point where my extra, extra long layoff is catching up with me so I had better rest a bit until I heal up so I don't screw myself up and have to take a longer break.

PS ... the pain is, of course, pain .... but still - :rock .... it's a good place to be because I know what comes after.

CJ

14 March 2004

HG 150:

1 X 5 reps

HG 200:

1 rep

CoC #2:

1 rep

HG 250:

1 rep

HG 300:

2 sets X 1 negative

HG 250:

5 sets X 8 partials

HG 200:

3 sets X 5 reps

Ladder down and back up on grippers (1 rep on each gripper no rest in between):

HG250; CoC#2; HG200; HG 150; CoCT; HG 150; HG 200; CoC#2; HG 250

Then a couple more:

HG 200; CoC#2; HG 250; HG 250; CoC#2; HG 200

The contrast baths helped a lot, but I no-set closed the CoC#2 and the HG 250 today just to see if I could do it totally one-handed (I can) and right away I felt pain.

I started my workout this evening on the grippers to see how bad the pain in my hands would get and it is as bad as it was on Thursday. I will contrast bath tonight and will do parts of my usual workout over the next day or three to see what I can do without feeling like I am doing more harm then good.

On a good note, my forearms feel pretty good and will know more after some pinching tomorrow.

One more good note: as punky as my hands feel right now, I like that they are sore in the sense that it is a reminder of how much stronger they will become over time. I can already feel my hands and forearms tightening up and getting stronger. Who knows? Maybe I will even start to work out my whole body on a regular basis.

21 March 2004

Ate soup on Monday, then nothing until soup on Friday (viral type flu ... lotsa fun). Feel pretty normal today so I thought I'd see if I could do any grip.

HG 100: 1 X 5 reps

HG 150: 1 X 5 reps

CoC T: 1 X 5 reps

HG 200: 1 X 3 reps

CoC #2: 1 X 3 reps

HG 250: 1 X 1 rep

HG 300: 1 X 1 partial rep (±3/8" to close), hold 5 secs

CoC #3: 3 X 1 partial rep (to parallel), hold 10 secs

HG 100: 1 X 5 reps

HG 150: 1 X 5 reps

CoC T: 1 X 5 reps

HG 200: 1 X 1 rep

HG 250: 1 X 1 rep

CoC #2: 1 X 1 partial rep (±1/8" to close)

HG 300: 1 X 1 partial rep (to parallel), hold 15 secs

CoC #3: 1 X 1 partial rep (to parallel), hold 5 secs

CoC #2: 1 X 1 rep

As usual after my off days, I started with only grippers. I found out how to keep away the pain that I was feeling after each rep - all I have to do is release the gripper slowly and there is no pain (nothing worth noting, anyway).

Ahhhhh ...... it's good to be back doing something ..... :D

CJ

22 March 2004

Plate Pinch Holds:

2 X 20 secs @ 20 lbs

2 X 20 secs @ 30 lbs

3 X 30 secs @ 30 lbs

1 X 15 secs @ 40 lbs

2 X 5 secs @ 40 lbs

4" Pinch Block Holds:

1 X 3 secs @ 40 lbs

1 X 3 secs @ 35 lbs (3 sec L; 0 R)

2 X 5 secs @ 30 lbs

RT:

1 X 120 lbs, hold 5 secs

1 X 130 lbs, hold 5 secs

1 X 140 lbs, hold 5 secs

1 X 150 lbs, hold 5 secs

1 X 160 lbs, no hold

Felt weaker today then I did yesterday, but that may be due to my skipped pinch grip and lever workouts over the past two weeks. Regardless, I will have to increase my pinch grip workouts as I want this aspect of my grip to grow in strength.

CJ

Thanks Dan

24 March 2004

HG 200:

5 X 5 reps (done throughout the day)

±20 singles (done throughout the day)

Plate wrist curls:

3 sets X 15 reps @ 20 lbs

3 sets X 15 reps @ 30 lbs

Thick Bar DB wrist curls PU:

1 X 15 reps @ 40 lbs

1 X 15 reps @ 50 lbs

1 X 15 reps @ 60 lbs

1 X 08 reps @ 70 lbs

1 X 12 reps @ 60 lbs

1 X 15 reps @ 50 lbs

1 X 15 reps @ 40 lbs

RT wrist curls PD: (the RT handle gives a better feel throughout the movement)

5 sets X 15 reps @ 25 lbs

That's it.

Forearms kinda fried and I never seem to get to my levers with the sledge anymore so I will start doing those in the morning and do the other movements in the evening. Also, I have ended up splitting my workouts into three days and will probably continue this until I am strong enough and have enough endurance to start combining into at least two days.

CJ

Hello CJ, hope you are feeling better now. I am battling pneumonia myself.

I am curious about your experiences with "RT wrist curls PD". I haven't tried these, any tips or caveats?