Trying To Close The Trainer

Guest jonhancock

Guest jonhancock

i have been working with the trainer and somedays i can get it closed 10 times with my right hand and others days i cant even close it . why is that. also what is the best way to move up to the number one. i do negatives i close it all the way and then hold it for as long as i can . Will this help . How often should i do negatives

You may be doing too much volume IMO. When i began training my grip i could not stand a lot of volume without getting injured and/or progress sometimes stopped. Now i can stand a lot of volume and make gains with it.

Just my own two cents ;)

Agreed, it sounds like two much volume. Negatives are especially hard to recover from, I wouldn't do them more than once every 4 or more days. Also, try resting for 3 or 4 days, then try the #1, I bet you'll get it or come really close.

i never picked up the trainer i went straight to the #1 i was able to close it once that day with my right hand took me about a week with my left. but after that first day i couldn't close it again for about a week (either hand). i basicly tryed to close it a few times through out the day and did only 2 sets of negatives one about mid day and one at night. when my #2 came i couldn't get it to parallel now i get it to about 3mm from closing doing the same routain.

now i do negatives with with my #2, 3 times a day and close my #1 a few times a day to keep my hands warm i can rep the #1 about 10 times but i won't do more then 3-5.

i got my #3 yesterday but i won't even pick it up because the coil scares me :)

Guest gripmaster316

Did you just start grip training? If you did then you are proably doing to much volume. Just calm down a little and give your hands a littel rest time. Don't forget hand health... outer limits loops, sand, dexterity balls etc.

Guest Tranzmaan
:D I work my hands once a day , once set, and thats it, and not till failure either. I work as a Truck Mechanic for a living so my hands get a lot of activity during the day. I cant risk injuring my hands, so basically I blast them once aday. This seems to work for me because my right hand is progressing very quickly. My left hand is another story. I may have to try some other type of grip work on my left hand, I thinking I'll go with less intensityand more volume but still once aday.

I work out with low reps 3-4 times a week, depending how my hands feel.

I only do negatives occasionally, normally just to finish a workout.

Its easy to overtrain when you start with grippers (Guilty), you have to remember that your hands get worked everyday to a degree, You have to find what works best for your own hands, some can workout 20 times a week and make progress some once a week.