Ring Lifting

David Ostlund

Last night I started my ring-lift training. It was more to get an idea of where I was than an actual training session. Here's what I did.

2/18/04

Warm-up,

225x1 each hand

270x1 each hand

305x1 each hand

330x1 in left hand, fail in right

180x8 each hand

After I pulled the 330(which I thought was pretty good), Jeff P came over and did it like it was a warm-up. Dan Peterson got up to about 270.

The limiting factor for me was definitely the finger strength. Plenty more in the legs and back. It also hurts more than a lot of other grip exercises.

Pain tolerance is a key factor. When I was training on the same Ironmind ring last year I was close to 400. The pain is brief however. I also think it is preferable to do the lift with a barbell that has a chain fixed to the center balance point. This way you can have equal weight front and back as you straddle it. I believe more weight can be lifted this way than with a loading pin setup. Chain length also makes a difference. I was lifting with a chain length that simulated that of the larger of the Dinnie stones. I tried not to pull, rather to hang onto the ring and straighten my legs.

The limiting factor for me was definitely the finger strength. Plenty more in the legs and back. It also hurts more than a lot of other grip exercises.

:blush Of course, didn't mean to question that. I suppose the better way to ask that question would have been "So it's pretty much pure fingers?" ie, you can only get fingers through, and not hold in your hand the same "callous tearing" way a guy can w/ standard farmers implements. No need to actually answer, much easier to jsut see for myself. Just wanted to clear up what is retrospect was a stupid question. :D

What size is the ring that you're using? Thickness and diameter? Thanks.