Bender's Bag

John Beatty

Another one guys-

Who would be interested in a bag of bendables? Horseshoes, rod, flat bar, square stock, varied lengths, spikes, extra large washers, whatever my search yields. I'd probably try to make it about a 25 lb bag full of whatever.

I'll take one, how much do you want for it?

I'd buy one, John. Especially if you included "some stock that only John Brookfield has bent" and had a certification process.... :inno

Edited by macronan

All right. Can you guys give me some suggestions as to what sizes & lengths of stuff you'd want? I don't really do any bending, we don't do it in Strongman, so I've only played with it a few times.

OH! I've always dreampt of a product like this...

Five 3/16" x 6" Practice bars.

Five 3/16" x 5.5"

Twenty 3/16" x 5"

Fifty 3/16" x6" Square Stock + Very Clear directions about buying bolt cutters and how to cut down steel and then progress to shorter lengths.

Then do the same with a large number of 7" x 1/4" steel and 6" x 1/4" Square Stock.

Also, any number of 6", 5.5" and 5" Grade-2, and Grade-5 bolts, all 1/4".

Finally, a dozen pieces of 7" x 5/16" steel that's as soft as the IM Red.

I guess the killer could be 7" x 5/16" Square Stock. That'd be an awsome bend, even compared to the Red.

You know, in the end you could have two levels of bags, the beginners bag and the advanced bag. That'd save weight, and make each one more specific to a certain level of strength. Most newbies don't need 5/16" steel, and most benders don't need 3/16" steel or grade-2's.

Newbie Bag

3/16" round and square

1/4" round

Grade 2's and for a capstone, a 6" Grade 5.

Advanced Bag.

Short 1/4" round, and 1/4" square stock.

Grade 5's down to 5".

Grade 8's.

5/16" round and for the capstone, a 7" 5/16" square....

Eh. Rambling again.

Those are all great suggestions by bender. Too bad there's no thumbs up emoticon....

You could perhaps include some cheap wrenchs and horseshoes as challenge pieces. I'd like the heavy washers (bend them with the thumbs) and some flat stock as well.

As for horseshoes, they range in size from 000 (very small and thin) to 8 (draft horse). I've got a lot of 0's and 1's from my uncle, but it would be cool to get one of each size.

Putting together a package like this would save a lot of people a lot of time from hitting a lot of hardware stores!

Pending on the price, I would be in.

I wonder how hard it would be to make it like a Menu.

Give me 2 of those, 6 of these, and 13 of those. Get it down to a price per piece like that Challenge bars. Heck, find some way of making those in the states thus cutting down on shipping.

I would love that.

How about a beginner & advanced bag, then a custom per piece list. I'll do a little shopping tonight when I head uptown, & I'll call my steel guy tomorrow. Cutting the stuff to varying lengths is no problem, I've got a very nice steel cutting band saw (ahh the things I spend the Christmas money on....lol). Thanks for the great list, bender! I've got a few other things in mind, too.

One other question - cold rolled or hot rolled steel for the round stuff?

Maybe I'll turn this into a page on the FBBC website. Maybe two. One for the bender's bag ordering, one for certifications. I'll get on it all ASAP.

I would like HRS and CRS in the bag.

How cool is this? A manufacturer listening to his customers. I love it. He asks, we answer, he delivers. lol, wow, customer service. Too bad my experience in the real world has not been as pleasant as these in my secret grippin life.

Am I rambling, or am I actually making sense to anyone? Basically its cool that John is one of us and I wish others would listend to what we want as well.

W

I'd try and keep it all the same type, unless you can find consistant strengths of each type. My only experience with Cold Rolled was MUCH easier than the 1/4" hot rolled. It confused the heck out of me, after hearing how much more stiff it was suposed to be. Besides that, the square-stock and grade-5's more than fill the CRS gap.

How cool is this? A manufacturer listening to his customers. I love it. He asks, we answer, he delivers. lol, wow, customer service. Too bad my experience in the real world has not been as pleasant as these in my secret grippin life.

Am I rambling, or am I actually making sense to anyone? Basically its cool that John is one of us and I wish others would listend to what we want as well.

Yea, that's definitaly amazing. :mosher That's how life-long customers are won and word-of-mouth advertising is guarenteed... Thanks, John.

Also, horseshoes! Gosh, if there were increasing level's of strength horseshoes, and a how-to write up by Steve or Pat, that'ed be sweet. Good stuff. And if some of the benders on the board could recommend some "easy" wrenches too... Man, what a good idea... :rock

I await the new developements at FBBC with bated breath...

I think this could send my sore thumbs into retirement! With this bunch of goodies, I don't care how bad I hurt! lol. Bring it John!

Thanks a lot guys. It's this kind of feedback & the fun of coming up with new stuff that makes doing this fun. I hope to be able to at least have the steel in a week or so (my supplier is moving their warehouse - fortunately about 40 miles closer to me), then it just depends on when the baby comes as to when I can chop it all up. I'll work on a certification process & some kind of form for the tougher stuff. I'll search for some bizarre stuff, too.

On the crescent wrenches, what size? As I said I don't try much bending, so I just don't know much about it. My strength runs more to the pinch, & I mainly work my supporting strength for Hercules hold & Farmer's/frame carry.

I think the bag should include some 12" 3/8" dia widow maker spikes, the galvanized kind not high carbon kind. :rock

Guys - starting to work on the bags. Question on the crescent wrenches? What size? Going to pick up some horseshoes & bolts today.

Would you also have some bending wraps like ironmind? Kevlar or no? Do you have access to them?

As for the wrenches, I've never bent them. Does anybody know how much harder they are than a blue?

John, what is your current estimated price for a bag?

W

Go to some ot the $1 stores, not the dollar general or brand name $1 stores but the fly by night type. They generally have 6 inch crescent wrenches for a buck that are easy to bend, by easy I would estimate them to be like a tough 60d common. Also you can find regular wrenches for cheap, I would stick with 7/16 or smaller on those, for easy stuff. Beware these things vary greatly in toughness due to cheap quality control, I have bent some of these wrenches without effort and others still lie kinked on my shelf....Brett

One thought for the bag.

Round the edges of the bending stock like David does for the challenge bars. I really wish Ironmind would do that instead of leaving these sharp edges. Challenge bars a much more comfortable bend if such a thing exist.

Should be as simple as a grinder and a little elbow grease.

Yes I know what your saying, we could do it to.

Ok, I withdraw the suggestion.

W

I think this sounds like a great idea. Let me know if y'all do it.

I would definitly be in, probaly both advanced and beginner bags. I like alternating bending workouts between high intensity, low volume then low intesity, high volume. Having both bags would fit me perfectly.

Awesome