Stupid...stupid...stupid..

chrisof4

I set a new bending PR on Wednesday, but it took everything I had, and my bending was worthless on Thursday. Even the easiest nails I had felt very difficult. I decided to cool my heels until today and play it by ear. However, I was getting frustrated with the length of time it was taking for my body to recover.

This morning, I did some light bends (6" carriage bolts), and even though they were easier than yesterday, they were still more difficult than they should have been.

Then my training partner, Tmmicklabs, told me about a guy at his work. This guy has never done any grip work before, and in one day, he was able to U a 7" x 1/4" piece of HRS. :yikes

Now, it shouldn't matter that this guy is stronger than me. After all, he played college football, and I have never competed in organized sports on any serious level. And, it shouldn't matter that, in one day, he smashed the goal I have been working toward for six weeks now. He is a strong guy, and I respect that.

But, it illustrated to me the weakeness in my own body. Combined with my growing frustration at how long it was taking me to recover, I made the emotional decision that I could force my body to perform a more difficult bend. I grabbed a 60D polebarn cut to 5". I have bent at least a dozen of these, and even though they are difficult, I have always succeeded.

Not today, however. Right from the beginning it felt harder than usual. Yet, I pressed on. I wrestled with this nail for 10 full minutes. After five minutes, the logical part of me knew how this was going to end. But I was disgusted with my poor performance, and my emotions decided we would press on. In the end, I failed to fully U this nail. I now have extremely deep bruises in my palms and deep pain in my wrists. It is all I can do to fully make a fist, and I don't dare squeeze very hard. I doubt I am seriously injured, but it will probably take at least 4 days to recover, maybe longer.

All because someone else has already put in the time and effort required to be stronger...what a stupid way to act. :blush:erm

Hopefully next time I get overly frustrated, I can put everything away, and return to training when I am in a proper frame of mind!

Keep grippin!

Pain is just part of the game man!. You fought for 10 minutes, good for you. Not everyone has the will to fight a nail for that long. You would be hard-pressed to find an elite athlete in any sport who wasn't passionate about getting better and has gone to even deeper emotional depths. Keep up that attitude, ice down those wrists, and keep hitting it hard!

you're tenacious and relentless... those are good qualities. just don't injure yourself and with that attitude you'll go far.

stay strong!! :rock

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! After a few contrast baths, some time with the mittens on, and a pain killer, I feel better already. :D

Hang in there Brother.

I know it's tempting to overtrain.

I fight the urge everyday not to train the grippers.

I would love to train grippers and bending seven days a week but my hands cannot handle the stress.

Take the weekend off and you will be back stronger than ever on monday.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tmmicklabs. Props to your friend on the 7" x 1/4" HRS! :rock

Maybe we will add another KC bender to the fold. :)