• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smitty

• austinslater

• Jedd Johnson

• Matt Van Weele

Gripper felt like sandpaper and I don't feel strong, at all.

I have been sick lately and my sleeping habits suck....but my workout, excluding crush, has not suffered....

I will keep you posted...

My workout was as follows:

Warmup

3-4 Goal Gripper attempts

10 OC BTR singles each hand - #2 Left, PDA280 Right

5x5 No set - to work the sweep

Wide Pinch: - 3x25's Overhand/Underhand

Superholds/Hard Negatives - BBE, Hard #3

Eagle Claw Pull-ups

Countdown: 14 Days until the Arnold

Assess your routine.

Do you see or feel stronger after these 2 weeks or so?

Are you ready for Diesel Superholds this weekend, tough guy?

Stimulation!

-Jedd-

Saturday - 2/21 - My workout was as follows:

Warmup

10-12 - Superholds/Hard Negatives - BBE, Hard #3

5 OC BTR singles each hand - #2 Left, PDA280 Right

2x5 No set - to work the sweep

Wide Pinch: - 3x25's Overhand/Underhand, 3x35's 2 hand pinch Overhand/Underhand, 35 lb. Hex Block Weight Cleans 3x4 Each hand

Eagle Claw Pull-ups

Monday (tonight) - 2/23 - My workout was as follows:

Warmup

10-12 - Superholds/Hard Negatives - BBE, Hard #3

5 OC BTR singles each hand - #2 Left, PDA280 Right

2x5 No set - to work the sweep

Wide Pinch: - 3x25's Overhand/Underhand, 3x35's 2 hand pinch Overhand/Underhand, 35 lb. Hex Block Weight Cleans 3x4 Each hand

Eagle Claw Pull-ups

Countdown: 11 Days until the Arnold

How much work are you doing with the gripper handles touching?

Just seems like you are doing a lot of handles-not-touching and not enough handles-touching work.

What do you other guys do? What kind of balance do you do between gripper shut vs. gripper open?

-Jedd-

I think as long as you alternate them your alright. While training 3xwk I had my best results doing 8-10 goal attempts/negs always forcing the attempts in and trying to hold I would do this 2xwk . On the third day of the wk I did alot of singles beyond the range etc and this seemed to work really well. I would be interested in hearing what others are doing. I think beyond the range is a must within a program though.

Austin

How much work are you doing with the gripper handles touching?

Excellent point Jedder.

In conversation with Heath, he brought up the same points. A couple attempts at the goal gripper, which doesnt touch, followed by a shit load of work with a gripper just below the goal gripper that touches and overcrushes. To top it off, this gripper should be FILED.

All of my over crush work is now done with a filed gripper. The handles touch in my training EVERY TIME except on the goal gripper attempts in which case I force the handles together at the end.

Negatives have a place....myself, I never really got much out of them except a stronger sweep. But, I combat this problem by lightly setting my filed gripper, then smashing it down and over crushing the shit out of it. As my hands get tired, I make sure to set it further so I can still OC it. My sweep has been increasing as a result.

I think your training time may be better spent closing grippers instead of holding them at half closed.

Rick Walker :rock

I agree I would work the hand in the closed position more. I kind of like over crushes too. Sometimes I take a #2 at the end of the workout and overcrush it so hard it feel like the handles may be getting mushed into each other. I like to do this as a endurance thing at the end holding it shutfor max time.

My BTR OC with the #2 are touching, but I think I need to bring up this part of the workout - good point guys.

Last night training session - I felt really strong, getting a lot closer to the #3. The key is definitely BTR OC and wide pinch - NO DOUBT. Not just wide pinch but ballistic wide pinch - cleaning a small BLOB or block weight. The Eagle Claw pullups are definitely helping because of the open handed position.

The Arnold is the goal, and I will train like a madman until then. But I won't be denied on the #3. If I can't get it, I will still have an awesome weekend. If I do, it will be the culmination of a lot of hard work and support from my Crew.

Thanks to everyone for your input... and taking the time to bring me up!

If you are a few mms away on the #3 you plan to close and if you've never tried it before here is what i would recommend : find a gripper with which you can do 3-5 reps (it should be something like a 2.7, a SM for example) and just work reps with it. Do this with a great frequency and volume (3 sets a day for one week, for example). Then take a two days rest and kaboom. That worked awesome for me, but what do a non COC know ???

Smitty you doing any inverted work with the grippers? Throwing those in may offer a little variety on days when you feel stale.

If you are a few mms away on the #3 you plan to close and if you've never tried it before here is what i would recommend : find a gripper with which you can do 3-5 reps (it should be something like a 2.7, a SM for example) and just work reps with it. Do this with a great frequency and volume (3 sets a day for one week, for example). Then take a two days rest and kaboom. That worked awesome for me, but what do a non COC know ???

Amaury that is a good idea and I did something like that I think helped me get certified on the #3. I failed the cert on a Wednesday. The Tuesday after I did alot of triples and doubles with the my #2. Then rested until Saturday. I think doing all the explosive stuff with the #2 really helped mentally because the #3 that prevously felt very hard was shut as explosively as my #2 was in the previous workout.

Actually did some last night to work the sweep with the last 3 fingers...definitely a good addition

I will try to amaury - thanks for the suggestion!

Workouts have been going fine

I have been feeling strong

You want to know how to get the #3 - WIDE PINCH MAN!!!!! Check out Eric (Bender's) website and he's talked about this from the beginning. Rick brought in the ballistic wide pinch...and now everything has come together.

I've been feeling strong and have been hitting contrast baths in the sink at work 5-6 times per day. I have been putting in adequate rest days and my hands are strong everytime I do a crush workout.

I WON'T BE DENIED!!!!!!!!!! :angry::rock

My workouts structure has been the following:

Warmup

10 OC BTR singles each hand - filed PDA280 - Right, filed #2 - Left

5x5 No set - to work the sweep

Wide Pinch: - 3-25's overhand/underhand, 3-35's overhand/underhand, 35 lb Hex block weight cleans (as many as I can each hand, before it rips out)

Superholds/Hard Negatives - 3-4 BBE

Eagle Claw pullups - with a crush at the end of the rep - 4x5 reps

Countdown: 6 Days until the Arnold

With a tight wrist choke, Smitty established an excellent PR with his "goal gripper" on Saturday.

-Jedd-

I WON'T BE DENIED!!!!!!!!!! :rock

Last nights workout structure was:

Warmup

5 OC BTR singles each hand - RIGHT - filed PDA280 - Right drop right into Filed #2 , LEFT filed PDA280 - drop right into Filed #2 in Left Hand

5x5 No set - RIGHT filed #2 -drop right into inverted #1, LEFT #1 - to work the sweep

Wide Pinch: - 3-25's overhand/underhand, 3-35's overhand/underhand, 35 lb Hex block weight cleans (as many as I can each hand, before it rips out)

Superholds/Hard Negatives - 3-4 BBE

Eagle Claw pullups - with a crush at the end of the rep - 3x5 reps

Hands are destroyed - will hit another workout tonight - try to replicate above if I can.....

Will take Wednesday off!!! Drive to Rick's on Thursday!!! Try to stay away from the grippers until the Arnold :blush - but I don't know if that's possible....

We are going to show Rick the Olympic lifts - C&J and Snatch - I'm sure we'll all be fired up to train together - so unfortunately, Thursday will not be a rest day for grip or anything else :rock

Friday night at NOS2 - will give the #3 my best.... Thanks to all for the encouragement and Austin for his continuing support...

Special thanks to my brothers Jedd and Rick who keep setting the bar higher and push me to reach it ! :rock

Countdown: 3 Days until the Arnold

Edited by smitty

Thanks for asking Dan

I missed my attempts (several over the weekend :blush ) but it will not be long before I get it. I am going to add some strap holds in - per Heath's suggestions... - and up my training. I want to blow through the #3 and beyond...

I was definitely inspired this weekend!!!