Got Very Close On #2

Gripalonggorilla

I thought I closed the #2 tonight, but after thinking about it, I did not hear/feel it close. So I guess I probably didn't get it. :dry Well, there is always tomorrow :D

Here's my workout for today AM and PM. I just got the #2 and am obsessed about closing it. But i think I might be over doing it a little on the volume. What do you guys think?

02/12/04: Grip AM: T (30 singles, alternating R-L)

#1 (attempt: 1. R-closed L-1/8”

#2 (attempt: 1. R- ¼” L-1”

2. R- ¼” L- 1”

#1 (attempt: 1. R- closed L- closed

2. R- x3 closed L- x2 closed x1 1/16”

PM: T (1 close)

#1 ( 1 close)

#2 [ attempts (used chalk)

1. R- (I think I closed it but didn’t hear it touch)

L- ¼”

(almost passed out on R- attempt, literally)

2. R- 1/16”, L- ¼”

3. R- 1/8”, L- ½” (held for 5count)

#1 [ attempts: 1. R- 1x15, L- 1x5 (last one assisted at 1/16”)

2. R- 1x10 (last one was no close), L- 1x5

3. R- 1x8, L- 1x7 (Last one no close)

I just got the #2 and am obsessed about closing it. But i think I might be over doing it a little on the volume. What do you guys think?

Welcome Gripalonggorilla. I hope you keep posting your workouts here.

IMO, that is a lot of sets if you are new to gripping. If you thrive on this much work and can recover, that is good. However, it sounds like you already suspect that you may have got a bit carried away with enthusiasm, so perhaps you should do a little less, unless your hands are already well conditioned. If you feel stale and aren't progressing, cut way back and build up to a level you are progressing with.

Do you have a copy of Mastery of Hand Strength yet?

You should also consider adding some negative reps & extensor work.

I would suggest adding block weights to your routine, if you aren't using them already. Check out Bender's page (below) about this, I agree with him 100% on the block weight issue.

http://www.geocities.com/ltgodfrey/three.html

Edited by odin

sorry read it wrong had to remove it??????!!!!!! :blush

Edited by kyle102887

Odin- thanks for the link; it was a great article! Now i'm pumped to make some blobs. I'm glad to finally know what one is :blush

I ordered the KTA e-book; should be able to use it by Monday. I'm a little concerned about using it after reading that article. I am doing a lot of clean + jerks and snatches at the moment. I may lay off on the KTA until the end of my current wt lifting cycle. That should be in about four weeks.

cunny- I tried to set the gripper, but I can't do squat that way.

I have no idea why.:unsure

When I do my attempts I do set it about a centimeter and then squeeze.

Well, today my grip is fried. I tried to do the #2 again, and it laughed at me :laugh

I switched to the trainer to see if I had anything, Idid not, and it hurt like hell.

So I guess I over did it a little. :D As much as I hate it I think I may have to take a day or two off from grip training. (I couldn't open a pickle jar right now, if I had to) I'll give it a go tomorrow and if I still need some rest I will wait and hit it hard on Monday.

I'll keep you guys posted on any improvements that happen to come along. Hopfully, next time I post I will have some good news to report about the #2.

Matt

Odin- thanks for the link; it was a great article! Now i'm pumped to make some blobs. I'm glad to finally know what one is :blush

Gripalonggorilla, the set will keep getting easier and better with time. I still have trouble doing it with my left hand. Some people prefer to use the grippers without setting them.

I haven't tried a KTA cycle yet. I bought KTA for the knowledge & videos, and will possibly implement it in the future when I feel like my hands have a better overall base of conditioning.

Bender, the author of the blob article, is a regular poster here and always gives good advice. The rest of his website is great also. I must have read his blob page half a dozen times; it always gets me fired up.

I'm still unsure about starting to bend, even though I keep returning to that part of his site. Thanks to my rotator cuff I am probably the only one posting here who can wrist curl more than they can bench press and close a gripper with one hand more easily than they can chest crush it.