Warming Up

Rick Walker

Jedd and Smitty encouraged me to take part in a longer warm up pre grip work. At the time I was bending, and I discovered the lengthy warm-up and cool down took care of all of my tendonitis.

Outstanding!

Now that I cannot bend, grippers and block weights have taken over my grip training. I have discovered if I go out, chalk up, and grab my goal gripper, 9 times out of 10 I get. If I piss around, warm up with lighter grippers, and find the "right" song on the cd, I will only hit it 3 or 4 times out of 10.

I came home from work last night and smoked my new name stamped #3 in both hands as well as Austin Slaters hard, 3inch spread #3 in my right. All attempts were cold attempts with just enough chalk to get the job done.

Then, right after a close stance high bar squat of 415 for 2, I racked the weight, grabbed my namestamped #3, and held it shut for 10-15 seconds, grinding it. Again, no specific hand warm up was used.

On my MME certification day I will treat is as another workout. I will train my squats, then after a set, have my witness open the box, and without warm-up I will kill it. I will then head back to my workout.

I havent busted my ass these past couple months to miss. I have delt with severe pec pain to keep going. I wont miss. I cannot miss. I will make the gripper remember the day it was in my hand.

It is in my cards to have my name on that list.

Rick Walker :rock

I'm so pumped to workout right now! Rick, you need to get a job as a motivational speaker.

Guest gripmaster316

And if you do warm-up it should be your goal gripper, then try it again and see what you can get.

Edited by gripmaster316

I found the exact same to be true for me, at least with grippers. When doing KTA, I never warmed up for a gripper workout.

BC.

Rick, do you think it's because you're working too hard on the warmup, or is it because you're so psyched to do the grippers that by the time your warmup is over, you've lost that highpoint of mental motivation?

Rick,

Sybersnott has been saying this for some time now....maybe one has to reach a certain level in profincency with the grippers before this applies as I find my crush usually improves with some warmup on lighter grippers.

Jon@han

For me, I don't put a lot of effort into the warmup. It's not critically important for me to get the handles on a #1 to touch, so I just squeeze the gripper sometimes to parallel and let it out to see how my hands feel and get them warm. This also gets the cracks, if any, out of my hands. And if I managed to hurt something in the last workout but don't notice it until squeezing a gripper, I'd rather it be a #1 than a #4!

Sometimes skipping a warmup is beneficial, but I'm trying to condition my hands to be strong enough to handle a moderate-heavy load for a long period of time.

YMMV :)

I find that if I put my hands in hot water for about 3 minutes continually making a fist them I am ready for anything even without the warmup closes.

HAHAHAHAH...Uhh.....I hope you are joking...lol

best of luck with that gripper rick. i'm sure you'll crush it as if was chalk.

stay strong!! :rock

Nothing beats squats for warm up. I am always at my strongest with grippers after squats. Rick, your recent improvements with grippers is probably also partly a result of not doing any bending. Bending makes my hands sluggish with grippers. Now, go and smash that MM gripper.

I hope you demolish the MM Rick. I personally find that a warm up helps me. I know Rick trains without heat which is impressive. I train my basement and it's around 55 F* down there so my hands stay pretty cold. So a warm up and little rest between sets helps to keep the blood flowing. When some guys came to get certified they really complained about not being able to get warm down there. I guess it's something you get use too. I read article in Milo about how Gale Gillingham trains in his garage with no heat in the middle of winter in Minnesota. I can't imagine squezing grippers in sub zero wheather.

I am currently training myself to perform with less warm-up with a view to trying to replicate the conditions of a contest. If I need 20 minutes and loads of closes to get fully warm but only have 2 minutes to prepare in a contest situation, I'm going to suffer aren't I!

I used to do a few reps on the lower grippers before going hell for leather on my goal gripper. Alas I found my max effort was gone and recently have just been stepping up cold to the target gripper and after the 1st squezze I find my best efforts come on the second attempt.

This was mobster's advice and its given me gains in no time. I think it boils down to what your body prefers!!??

Digz.

I'm just a gripper rookie, but I find 5 mins. with the dexterity balls gives me a good warmup without sapping my strength. If I hit the gripper cold, I'm a little weaker and I get the whole snap, crackle, pop thing going on. I have messed up hands, though, so who knows...

Sybersnott has been saying this for some time now....maybe one has to reach a certain level in profincency with the grippers before this applies as I find my crush usually improves with some warmup on lighter grippers.

I'm at a point now where I can go cold - no warmup - and completely mash a #3 shut. But that's just me.

You might want to experiment and find out if a warmup saps your strength for something heavy, or it doesn't. An extensive grip warmup wouldn't work for me and I found out that it actually saps my grip strength. AGAIN - everyone is different and should experiment to find out what works best for them.

Rick has shown us that a good warmup does work and it works well for him.