• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stratavarious_connection

• bender

• Tou

• gerryg

Tendons, tendons, tendons...

Please Note: The mighty forearm is physiologically speaking a masterpiece; intricately composed of well over 21 muscles and/or groups!

Comparing your chest to your forearms is like comparing a watermelon to a bunch of bananas...

The key to forearm development is to welcome 'Discomfort' with open arms. Train hard.

I wish I had bigger forearms mine are only 13.5 inches.

This should make you feel better: at 6' 1" tall, mine measure 12 1/2". I'm the Anti-Tou.

Guest Shano_mac

Hey thanks for all the replies. My forearms are 14inches cold but flexed. I want them to be atleast 17 inches cold unflexed 20inches would be better, I know it sounds crazy but I wanna have freaky big forearms. Im not sure why but I just plain do that and at 130lbs itd look freaky. Im 20 years old now and id like to have my forearms around 17 inches by the time im 23 which i think is possible. Im all about having a great grip but when performing grip feats it looks oh so much more with big thick ripped forearms.

Let's not forget that genetic plays a big role in muscle developpement.

Some train very hard and heavy but barely grow. they are strong but not big. Some others, like me, grow like bad seed.

Since I do OL, about 6 months, my legs, back and shoulders are A lOT bigger than what they used to be. They're stronger too but I gained some serious size even if I lost 40 pounds on bodyweight.

My calves and forearms are a gift from my father. He never touched a weight but has HUGE calves and big forearms.

I want them to be atleast 17 inches cold unflexed 20inches would be better, I know it sounds crazy but I wanna have freaky big forearms... ...Im 20 years old now and id like to have my forearms around 17 inches by the time im 23 which i think is possible...

Nearly eleven years ago I had similar goals and expectations regarding my forearm size, however due to genetics, my high metabolism, very long muscle bellies, and my particular body type I have gained only a half-an-inch on my forearms. With that said though I have gained incredible strength, endurance, flexibility, as well as an outlandish level of muscle density... My forearms are rock solid and cut. The lower part of my forearms have thickened up and my 'brachios' (at the elbow area) have beefed up. Most important is that this intense training has aided and protected me tremendously in my line of work with increased weapons retention, rapid and repeated trigger pull capacity, enhanced deflection and blocking capabilities, and increased success in apprehending, controlling, and restraining subjects.

I still consider myself a die hard forearms addict, but now with a more realistic mindset. I train and/or 'hit' (as in work) my lower arms nearly everyday via Nei-gong, isometrics, wrist rollers, reverse curls, grippers, parallel bar dips, pull-ups, push-ups, leverage bars, hammer curls, etc. :happy

I sincerely doubt that the ‘Popeye effect’ is anatomically or physiologically possible. :(

Good luck in your training. :rock

Edited by wells

17 inch forearms? Considering that Bill Kazmaier had 17 inch unflexed forearms at around 330 lbs of pure muscle, I find it highly unlikely that anybody here will ever get 17 inch muscular forearms. Who cares how big your arms are, it's how strong your are that counts. :tongue

Don't feel too bad boys, I only have 10" forearms. :D

I've seen them in person... :happy

I do think 17" forearms are possible. I hit the 17" mark cold, and although I am relatively heavy my forearms are VERY solid. When I first came to this board I was asked about my stats and when everyone heard I was 18 and had 17" forearms I got a few unpleasant posts. It wasnt until I posted pictures that I could clear the situation up. The situation for me is alot of genetics and alot of armwrestling. I have pretty big forearms but I have been dwarfed on the armwrestling table many times before. I beleive Cleve Deans forearms were over 20".

If you want to see some pics go here, the person Im with is my training partner and he has 13" forearms.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/armwrestl...restlermaverick

Edited by maverick

Yes, I agree 17 inchers are possible but not 17 inch popeyes... or any inched popeyes for that matter. Speaking again in reference to the forearm being larger in diameter than the biceps. :blink

Not so much a disagreement in regards to growth and mass potential but the levels of training required and the most common results of such training is typically not huge growth (as in size) as so many of us would like... :(

Getting back to the original argument that forearm strength and 'grippage' is directly attributed to forearm size and mass (as in growth) I believe is not very scientific nor physiologically sound. Too many intricate factors, exceptions, body types, etc. ;)

Edited by wells

I also feel that 17 inch forearms are possible but you would have to be close to 300 pound solid in bodyweight. Under 300 punds would be very unlikely, but possible.

Maverick, your forearms do appear to be close to 17 inches, but they aren't like Kazmaiers. That's what I meant, muscular 17 inch forearms. That is something that would mean outstanding, freaky development of the forearms and Kazmaier was certainly freaky. His measurements and strength were used to discredit a certain theory about dinosaurs a while ago, and his forearms were taped accurately by scientists at just over 17 inches at his 6 foot 3 inch height.

Arm wrestling is cool, I did that sometimes in high school and won most my wrestles. I have a feeling I'd lose to you though, I'm 6 feet 180 lbs and my forearms are 12 3/4 inches. Believe it or not, people have told me I have big forearms. haha, imagine that.

As far as a measurement that corrilates to grip strength I think the width of the lower end of the forearm (but not the wrist) would be what to measure. This is where the tendons are at and where more of the hand mucles are at as apposed to the bigger muscle bellies down low which are more wrist motor muscles.

There's no set spot to take this measure, or any comparisons I know of but just measure between the wrist and when your forearm starts to dramatically increase in width. Consider this measure vs. strength and tell me if any of you think it's worth anything.

A rock climber buddy of mine does have the popeye effect. 11.5 inch Biceps and 12 inch forearms......he's a member of the gripboard too. :blink

A rock climber buddy of mine does have the popeye effect.  11.5 inch Biceps and 12 inch forearms......he's a member of the gripboard too.  :blink

I'd like to see a pic of that... any pics?

Edited by wells

I believe that Wannagrip has a photo of Terminator's forearm cranked up. He didn't get the Popeye moniker for nothing.

Seach the internet for a photo of Bill Ballinger, the armwrestler, who has a photo of his forearm gossenecked that is very impressive

Guest Shano_mac

Well on average most men who dont work out and have never lifted weights will have a larger forearm then upperarm. Also take a look at skinny mechanics(okay they turn wrenches all day) They certainly have larger forearms then upperarms if they arnt also weight lifters.

Pascal has some freaky forearms, then again so does Lee Preist.

17 inch forearms are very possibly even for a 120lb guy but the amount of synthol put into him would most likely kill him :tongue

LOL @ Shano's " 17 inch forearms are very possibly even for a 120lb guy but the amount of synthol put into him would most likely kill him."

Bender is exactly correct. One must train for tendon AND connective strength to support intense muscle demands. This is especially true for those who have a high ratio of white fiber muscle tissue. These folk can quickly develop muscle mass and strength that can over power supporting structures, like tendons. How many of you arm wrestlers have seen tendon pops at that pointed bone just under the elbow? That is where extreme stress is applied by tendons and connective tissue from the forearms, that wrap arount that sharp bony area. Look at some of George Jowett's publications. He was a voiced proponent of what "bender" has said. Jowett also has specific techniques as to HOW to train for tendon strength.

Another point is to train for bone strength. Again, how often have you heard about bone breaks in arm wrestling? "Torquing" the bones with heavy supportive type exercises can do this.

Size is not the only game in town. What is important for me is to get close to my personal genetic limit AS WELL AS handle my own body weight. One has an inner sense about these so-called "genetic limits". For example, how many of you guys can jump up to a couple of parallel 2x4 rafters and do full arms length pullups by pinch grip? How many of you can hang from a support using only the tips of your fingers,,, by ONE HAND? How long can you hang by one hand from a chinning bar? I believe that absolute strength AND relative strength should both be goals to train for and enjoy. I recall a story of a strong and very heavy athlete of yesteryear who spent a while dazzling an audience with his absolute strength. Yet at the end of the performance ran across stage, jumped into the air and landed in a perfect handstand! Apparently the audience rose to their feet in voiced excitement! Sorry, don't recall more details. Perhaps someone on the board does.