Grinding Down The Gripper

bigbuffdan

:D I was wondering what everyone here has used for grinding down grippers. I was thinking something like what my mom shaves down her nails with, but something larger. I tried using my bolt cutters, but it is too thick to cut.

Metal file (cheapest, quietest, takes the longest)

Belt sander (works best for me)

Angle Grinder (both soft disks and hard disks work fine)

DA grinder

Or, you could be a man about it and just grind the handles of that gripper until they start to wear away ;) When I file down a gripper, it just takes a couple minutes on the belt sander.

heavy duty file would be my guess. I bet the type that they use to cut horses hoofs would work

I grabbed a heavy coarse file at Harbor Freight, stuck the gripper in a vise, and

grinded away. You may need to clean the file with a wire brush during filing, the aluminum

shavings build up. But it goes pretty quick.

If you use a grinder be sure to wear safety glasses.

T

8 inch or 10 inch double cut mill file .... fairly cheap tool in cost and you can

control what you take off ... of course if you are deft with electric tools,

that would be your quickest way...

If you use a file, use 120 grit sandpaper to remove and buff out the

gouge marks.........

If you use your Mom`s nail file, plan to be filing on it the rest of your life :)

Bench grinder gets it done in no time.

The file works. It takes alot of time . But with the file you can get the angle you want without over grinding your goal like can be done with power tools.

• 1 month later...

I have access to most any tool necessary to do this, but out of curiosity why would you grind the gripper down?

My common sense is telling me so you dont jack up your hand but still... Also if possible, does some1 have a pic of a gripper thats been filed?

You grind doown a gripper to make it harder to close. There are some pics in the gallery.

Understood. So you have to file it down from the inside. I think ill try that on my #1, Im not strong enough to do that to my #2 just yet though, maybe when I can do it for 10reps ill do that, but for now I can only do it 7x. Thanks for the info.