Equipment Fabrication.

lancep

I would like to see developed:

1) A serious and fun-to-use grip training device that exercises the muscles antagonistic to those used in closing a gripper. Especially one that in some way gives numerical feedback about strength progress. Therapy putty is good but you get no such feedback.

2) A "compact", simulated rope climbing device that works on a principle similar to the old ExerGenie, i.e. pull the rope thru a friction tightening collar of some sort. Rope climbing is fun, offers both physiological and psychological challenge, and works many major muscle groups as well as grip muscles.

3) Efficient add-ons to grippers that allow isometrics at various angles for maximum strength improvement throughout the gripper sweep. I currently use small "blocks" just under the coil. But that is a bit awkard.

4) A "next generation" to the Supergripper which has more comfortable handles and engraved "slot forces".

5) WELL PUBLISHED MANUFACTURING TOLERANCES AND THEIR EFFECT ON FORCES. E.g. my understanding is mass produced grippers can be off about 10% - 15% in the "force to close". In more detail: errors in wire diam ~.002", coil mean diam ~5%, sweep angle ~ 2 degrees, handle "depth" ~ 1/16". These numbers I've had to squeeze from various Internet sources. Manufacturers, generally, do not clearly reveal their tolerances (there is one, however, that is more attentive to defining those numbers). IF a gripper can be manufactured that a) has a guaranteed < 2% error in advertized "force to close", and b) is available in 25 lb increments, then that would probably seize the market IMO. People proabaly would foot the extra cost. E.g: there are those who are spending a lot more for RBs than for CoCs right now.

I would like to see developed:

1) A serious and fun-to-use grip training device that exercises the muscles antagonistic to those used in closing a gripper. Especially one that in some way gives numerical feedback about strength progress.

This is something I've been thinking about for a week or so, now - what about a machine to work your extensors and your wrist. It would look like a miniature leg extension machine, with a long pad to rest your arm and wrist on. You would then bend your fingers (or wrist) at a 90 degree angle and push against a pad that would have some kind of plate-loaded resistance. I might need to make a sketch to explain it, but I don't think that there's anything like that out there.

Thanks 33wes. One thing I notice about the BruteStrength equipment is that it is very

reasonable in price for items that are both big and unusual. Maybe he could build ones

cheaper, especially if he is selling direct.

1) A serious and fun-to-use grip training device that exercises the muscles antagonistic to those used in closing a gripper. Especially one that in some way gives numerical feedback about strength progress. Therapy putty is good but you get no such feedback

Definitely! This might be my number one. We are all using rubber bands to develope the extensors. Something thats gripper-like addictive and easy to use could be a big money maker in the grip world and for rehabing carpal tunnel among the general population.

Definitely! This might be my number one. We are all using rubber bands to develope the extensors. Something thats gripper-like addictive and easy to use could be a big money maker in the grip world and for rehabing carpal tunnel among the general population.

I agree. Every other area of grip strength already has a sufficient tool. Come up with an addictive, effective, and reasonably priced piece of equipment for extensor training and you'll have a hot seller and be practically alone in competition.

Relative to the extensors idea:

I am more a bucket of sand guy myself but what do you rubber band guys think of this:

Picture a wrist band with four power band type tubes attached to the palm side. On the other end of the tubes there is a fingertip attachment point. When you have your hand closed there is minimal tension on each of the bands, but when you open your hand you would pull against the tubes to full extension.

To capatalize on the addictive/competitive aspects the tubing could be shortened and/or replaced with thicker (tougher) tubes. Similar to the color coded tubes used by companies making color coded excercise bands.

Thoughts?

Edited by GordonV

Relative to the extensors idea:

There used to be a product advertised in Powerlifting USA called "HandStraps" that could work the extensors. It was a book that was a plan on how to build and use them.

This product could work both flexors and extensors. I have not seen it on the net or

in more recent Magazines. I don't know if they are still in business.

Basically, a pair of well fitting leather work gloves are slit on either side of the fingernail

postition and sewn loops of narrow (about 1/2 inch) nylon strapping are put through the slits. The slits go through top and palm side of the glove and are the same width as the strapping. The loops can be moved to either side and are long enough to attach weight

by another longer strap to the weight plate or loading pin. The loops are moved in either direction depending on which side of the hand/wrist/forearm you are working.

A thumb loop can also be installed in the same way and would be used to work the thumb seperately.

For extensors you pull the tip loops through to the palm side attach the weight to the

loops and open and close your hand. The advantage of this device over EagleLoops

from IronMan is that the fingers can be worked either individually or together or in any pairing you desire and in either direction and attached to the glove there is less chance of slippage. Also, as the weight is basically attached at the finger tip, so you don't need as much weight.

• 2 weeks later...